1086 reminds me of old Sabbath

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike361

Reaction score
Playing around the other day with some backing tracks like iron man and war pigs. Had the 1086 in there and hit my tube driver. I was suprised how much this combo sounded like that old Sabbath tone. I have never read what T Iommi used for gear but it is a unique tone. Even without the Tube Driver this module has that odd something that reminds me of that tone. Just thought I'de share. Need to learn how to post clips.

Mike361 said:
Playing around the other day with some backing tracks like iron man and war pigs. Had the 1086 in there and hit my tube driver. I was suprised how much this combo sounded like that old Sabbath tone. I have never read what T Iommi used for gear but it is a unique tone. Even without the Tube Driver this module has that odd something that reminds me of that tone. Just thought I'de share. Need to learn how to post clips.

Yep, I use mine for Sabbath riffing too.

I agree the 1086 is very usable. I know he had a old treble booster he used a ton. Then a tech was modding one of his Laneys and threw it away. hahahaha
Iommi claimed his tone was achieved by turning the bass off and the mids and treble to ten. :shock: :shock: I know....I know......
Try it. I did and its different but I liked it. I makes me work a bit harder for harmonics and such but very cool.

Iommi has used Laney and Orange interchangeably from time to time. Laney had their central buildings in the same town he was from, so he wanted to support them. He had a cool custom amp from them in the 80's I think, but I'm pretty sure he used Oranged mostly before then.

Paranoid just came on the radio as I opened this thread.. I'm just sayin'.. lol

What settings are you using on the 1086 for BS sound?

I can't be sure, I was turning knobs and so on but I think I had the eq mostly straight up and the mid scoop off with the gain 1/2 and the gain boost was on. Like I said, the Tube driver added some of that fuzz type gain as well. I need to go back and recreate it.

Shinozoku said:
Iommi has used Laney and Orange interchangeably from time to time. Laney had their central buildings in the same town he was from, so he wanted to support them. He had a cool custom amp from them in the 80's I think, but I'm pretty sure he used Oranged mostly before then.
Iommi has, since his earliest days, had a personal friendship with Lyndon Laney. He's always used a Laney as his recording amp. Occasions where he would be seen with Marshalls or Oranges has mostly to due with the fact that he (and most bands) don't usually tour with 100 amps and speaker cabs. If what was nearby to be rented was Orange then that's what would appear on stage with him.

The famous Paris 1970 show has Tony using what is practically a wall of Laney Supergroup 100's.

And Tony was also well-known for using the mythical Dallas Rangemaster.

Tony uses a treble booster to this day. Tony's guitar tech was the impetus to having Analogman Mike Piera build him a Rangemaster clone that Analogman put into a pedal form-factor that he now sells as the Beano Boost. (www.analogman.com)

As we apparently have some Iommi-tone experts here, I'll ask: Does anyone know what he used during the Dehumanizer era? Was it the GH100TI, or was that introduced later? I've always liked that sound, but I've been unable to approximate it with a module.

Rising Farce said:
As we apparently have some Iommi-tone experts here, I'll ask: Does anyone know what he used during the Dehumanizer era? Was it the GH100TI, or was that introduced later? I've always liked that sound, but I've been unable to approximate it with a module.
The GH100TI was introduced later.

I believe Tony was still using a single-channel Laney "AOR Series" at the time. Also remember that Tony was using "The Old Boy" SG built for him by John Diggins (JayDee) with custom-made hand-wound and hand-epoxied pickups.

In interview, JD couldn't remember how he made the pickups but they have something crazy like 20 to 24mV DC resistance. Gibson benched them and attempted to make a repro, and according to Tony were able to convincingly do so. I do have a Gibson Iommi humbucker but have never installed it on anything. Another interesting thing to note is that, if I remember correctly, either Iommi, or his guitar tech said to use a 1Meg volume pot for the humbucker instead of the usual 500k to let more highs through. You might want to consider that.

Iommi may be on a bender for more and more treble due to the ends of his fingers being chopped off and the leather pads he has in their place. He may be compensating for dulling that the leather could be doing.

Finally, Tony uses 8's and didn't tune down for "more heavy", but because standard tuning hurt his fingers too much.

You may need to do more than have a module for the Dehumanizer sound. You may have to have a guitar set up (pickups, pots, strings) and a treble booster in the chain for that sound. Hope that helps.

BSM Iommi Treble Booster
Analogman Beano Boost (with Iommi story)

Thanks for all the great info. I'm a big fan of the Analogman stuff, but I've never tried the Beano Boost. Looks like I'll have to add that--and perhaps a Gibson Custom Shop Iommi SG--to my list of "must haves."