1666 vs Angel

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3pY0rOiDRc

My first YouTube Video!

No warming up, no plans on what to play, so it is rough, but perhaps an interesting comparison

EpiGothLesPaul7>rm50>Mesa oversized vertical 2x12 (v30s)>Blue Eyeball>Dell Laptop

The Effects are maxed, but I pulled the reverb out, it is dry
Just sounds cavernous in my garage

The 1666 seems to have more bottom end then the Angel does. I Always wanted an angel but i think i like the 1666 more now. Thanks for the comparison, yeah do another with the tight switch on :)

Hey don't get swayed by this clip, it is admitedly poor quality...I'll have to get some mics out and do a proper test...however, with different modules as these have been sold off :oops:

very nice thanks!!!!

do you notice a general lack of the low end in the Angel when compared to the 1666?

the 1666 definitely has more SOMETHING going on. cant tell if its lows or mids

would you say one sounds much better than the other?

I actually don't think one is better than the other in this case- real similar levels of quality

As for low end thunder, yes the 1666 brings it

I have noticed the 1666 seems to like my inexpensive EpiPaul7 whereas the Angel sounds better with the high quality dropC Gibson

Don't worry, I know you're turning 40. It takes longer to warm up. Back when you were 20 you'd pick up the axe and rip a GL solo. These days? You ain't rockin' as hard. It's okay. I understand. It gets to be too much energy after a while. I've gone from metal to blues and C&W in a year. But I'm not a serious blues player, nor a serious C&W player. I lived through the Grateful Dead years. I met those guys in SF. Life is too short to take sh*& seriously. Ask Jerry. It's all about "Truckin'" Have fun with it.

PS: you know I'm gonna give you s*** about your birthday all week, right? :wink:

PSS.... please don't kill me.

I would love to hear more of these modules played in a normal tuning with a 6 string guitar to see how they compare for classic rock purposes.
I have always loved ENGL amps since the late 1980s and would like to hear how this module compares in regular tuning

sorry Ray, quality is poooor :)
Only result from this is, that 1666 and Angel sound different :)

feline: I still have some Angel clips in ....... but time, time, time :)

I tried to do the right thing and I may have done a disservice...I'm not as sharp as I used to be :p

Grrrrreat video! Thanks alot, I already have a 1666 on the way, so you've just reconfirmed all the reasons I bought it !!
The AnGEL does sound sweet, but I think I'll be more than blown away with my 1666.

BRUTAL!

I'm diggin the massive low end of the 1666, but I wouldn't say that the ANGEL is lacking in low end. ENGL isn't known for monster low end, they're known for great tone, period ;) The ANGEL was VERY tight and percussive, with a killer lead tone. And you're right, could have tested with the tight switch engaged and lower gain.

Really liked this comparison, and love both modules :)

Ouch! Sold my 1666...
Yes, there is nothing better to play for hours alone.
I miss it for that !
But it never did it for me in the band-mix or live !
:twisted:

Shinozoku said:
BRUTAL!

I'm diggin the massive low end of the 1666, but I wouldn't say that the ANGEL is lacking in low end. ENGL isn't known for monster low end, they're known for great tone, period ;) The ANGEL was VERY tight and percussive, with a killer lead tone. And you're right, could have tested with the tight switch engaged and lower gain.

with the depth boost switch on my engl savage se (just sold it) the low end was crushing

this is a feature of engl power amps

MegaGoo said:
Shinozoku said:
BRUTAL!

with the depth boost switch on my engl savage se (just sold it) the low end was crushing

this is a feature of engl power amps
Interesting... I've always seen ENGL as like the German laser cannon of the guitar amp world, while amps like the Triple Rec and Framus Dragon are like the hydraulic sledgehammers of doom. Glad to hear ENGLs (of course the Savage SE would have this feature :p) can get some sledgehammery bottom end :D

hey cranky,
it looks like the bass on the 1666 was turned up quite a bit higher? is this true or am i mistaken? it seems also like it was easier to get pinch harmonics out of than the angel?
i wanted an angel badly, not sure now!!

Cool clip but the knobs were not set the same. You can see the 1666 has the bass knob set higher than the Angel.

you right, I was sloppy on the knobs...this module war is now over as the 1666 has been shipped away to a new owner.

I'll try to put up better quality audio next time using some UA gear