1959RR

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
First impressions are impressive!
I'm digging a whole bunch of tones on this mod. The JMP is really cool, I usually don't notice lo/mid gain crunch tones, but this one caught my attention.

The JCM side is very cool- I knew it would be, I've owned a JF Plexi before and like Rob's tak on Marshall tones. I was surprised at the diode clipping- it didn't do what I expected- rather than edge & gain, it seemed boost some lows (?) Kind of a gentle effect to, not in your face. Interesting.

The Haze is great for me. I always kind of thought an EG3/4 would work well for me, I have an abrasive Gorilla picking attack style that could use some Haze. This switch puts my lead tone right where I need it. Super feature.

The Vintage/Modern voicing also had a surprise for me...I kind of like the vintage voicing better than Modern on the JCM hi gain tones- seemed to really open up the mids.

Keep in mind my dbs are just over 60 on an rm20, so I would bet the Modern may deliver differently once I open up the volume to raging levels.

I really liked it with mids cranked, I think that's how Marshalls generally like to be played

First impression is excellent- super looking faceplate and bright white light, at least 3-5 tones that I love right off the bat, with room for plenty of tweaking.

829a313f.jpg

update:
here's a video I shot on 12-2-11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-eWkjTU84

that's cool, man. The JMP gives me just what I was looking for, for the band. Having a bunch more gain on tap with the 800/900 modes is a total bonus.

The tone with all knobs basically pointing straight up was so pleasing to me, I haven't really experimented a whole lot with more extreme EQ settings. Might have to try your setting above on the w/e ;)

****, makes me jones for mine even more. Very nice. I will look to try your setting in the pic as well.

Glad to hear you are digging it Ray!

A few explanations on the features:

- The Diode Clipping has a similar effect to an Overdrive pedal when used as a booster. There is a 10-15% gain boost, but what is really worth noting is the way it creates a soft rather than hard clipping. On a scope the wave becomes less square and more rounded, a hallmark of OD rather than Distortion. It's intended to provide a slight gain boost, but more of a change in the texture and feel of the gain.

- Haze is my nod to the Egnater EG3/4 tone. It takes some hair off of the highs and provides a smoother tone. Perfect on bright guitars or for a smooth lead tone. But you still get all the Marshall bite back at the flip of a switch.

- The Vintage setting has thicker voiced mids for sure. The Modern side should bring a smile to your face when you crank it up or play some GnR licks.

Jaded Faith said:
Glad to hear you are digging it Ray!

A few explanations on the features:

- The Diode Clipping has a similar effect to an Overdrive pedal when used as a booster. There is a 10-15% gain boost, but what is really worth noting is the way it creates a soft rather than hard clipping. On a scope the wave becomes less square and more rounded, a hallmark of OD rather than Distortion. It's intended to provide a slight gain boost, but more of a change in the texture and feel of the gain.

- Haze is my nod to the Egnater EG3/4 tone. It takes some hair off of the highs and provides a smoother tone. Perfect on bright guitars or for a smooth lead tone. But you still get all the Marshall bite back at the flip of a switch.

- The Vintage setting has thicker voiced mids for sure. The Modern side should bring a smile to your face when you crank it up or play some GnR licks.

:D :D :D
I think Christmas is coming early for the guitar enthusiast in my house. 8)

Yes, I was able to crank it up and the modern side really comes alive. I'm used to my ZWod which is more of a lo-cut biting edge, this diode does appear softer, and adds some cool girth to the tone.

I'm especially loving the JMP side, it's an excellent dirty tone. Well done JF!

VitaminG said:
that's cool, man. The JMP gives me just what I was looking for, for the band. Having a bunch more gain on tap with the 800/900 modes is a total bonus.

The tone with all knobs basically pointing straight up was so pleasing to me, I haven't really experimented a whole lot with more extreme EQ settings. Might have to try your setting above on the w/e ;)

Ditto

when I 1st got mine I set it up like cranky's got it

I have all the controls on my JF 59RR set at 12 o'clock except for the bass
which is 90% maxed (and drive it with a Dano CTO-1)

I've been playing with this setting for the past month now and just using
the switches (makes me wish they were footswitchable) - killer
tones !!

Rob really did an awesome job at capturing the best of the best marshall
tones

yes, I'm feeling more bass with the mids closer to 12 oclock. This interactive eq seems more on this piece, which is a good thing

In Matt's demo of the 59 I also especially liked the JMP tones. That sounded perfect to my ears.

Id like to hear some better recordings of it..i had one of the early ones before he was doing the diode clipping,along with the other features,and didnt keep it long...just dont remeber it being that great...maybe one Ill have to revisit if I could hear some good clips...MikeP,where ya at?....lol

Well i think it really depends it you like the actual RR marshall head, cause thats what its modeled after. Robs said its an exact clone in a module.

LunatiBSW said:
Well i think it really depends it you like the actual RR marshall head, cause thats what its modeled after. Robs said its an exact clone in a module.

I hear ya..Ive never really heard one..I did like Randy's tone on the early ozz stuff though..but like alot of recordings back then,the quality wasnt that great.....

Can anyone comment on how he has incorporated the feel of the "one wire mod" into the design? I mean i remember it was a simple mod to the preamp in a plexi but it isn't the same as adding diode clipping. At which point /mode is the 59RR acting like the one wire mod engaged in Randy's head? If anything the diode clipping would be closer to Randy's Marshall WITH one wire mod through his Distortion + pedal would it not?

In other words can you hit this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EjcXmFZQgg&feature=related

I dig this demo because he plays in the Randy style.

Iwatched MAtt's demo again, I think that tone might be the JCM switch engaged and opened up a bit.... or the JMP with diode clipping.

video added:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw-eWkjTU84

Baby was sleeping, so dbs were only about 65 or so, not much different than a semi-loud tv. But I had it all mic'ed up, check it out yo

Nice video Ray. Was it hell to sync up the audio & 2 seperate videos?
I am going to have to give it another listen. For my personal tastes I thought it was too scooped, but otherwise sounded good.

Kapo_Polenton said:
Can anyone comment on how he has incorporated the feel of the "one wire mod" into the design?
The JMP side of this mod with no Diode clipping, Vintage mode and Haze off would be closest to the 1959RR head I owned and based it on.

Really, it's best to think of this module as a tour of all the great Marshall tones through the JCM 900 series with some hot-rodded flavors included. You can cover the old JMP tones, JCM 800, JCM 900 and some of the popular hot-rodded mods we have all seen through the years. Although it started as a modular version of the 1959RR I owned and modded, it became so much more in the end.

Hamner1 said:
Nice video Ray. Was it hell to sync up the audio & 2 seperate videos?
I am going to have to give it another listen. For my personal tastes I thought it was too scooped, but otherwise sounded good.

Thank you
No, syncing was easy- I left the stick click "Marker" at the start to show just that. I left the camera running and took about 3 takes for each L & R guitars. Each time I restarted I banged the sticks to leave a mark on each camera mic and the mic that was on the cab. Magnified on Sony Vegas and it's real clear where that stick "Marker" is..when I messed up a take, I didn't finish the track, so it was also easy to pinpoint the best track, as it was the longest... then erase the camera mic audio (actaully the one camera mic tone wasn't bad at all). Without a "Marker" it might be hell and a lot of trial and error.

The axes are hard panned, so you can hear the vintage axe has lots of mids, even with the mid knob around 12 oclock. The Modern axe is scooped, so I pumped the mids close to max. I wish I had found a way to put the JMP tones in there, that's really the best sounds in the mod...but my playing always go for hi gain :twisted:

almost reminds me more of an Orange amp,very fat and fuzzy sounding...sounds like a classic 70's tone....