5150 1st attempt

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearnloathing

Reaction score
So I was sick of my KH2 module and decided it was time for a change. I thought I would go for 5150 type tone. I added an extra gain stage to the module as the KH2 only uses 3. So this thing now has all the gain of my ultra with completely different voicing. Here is a quick clip in the style of EVH rhythm. Ill post up some heavy gain stuff also. Its sounding pretty decent so far but I know I can get it better.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8709439

Signal Chain Gibson SG---RM100----Marshall 1960a----sm57---- Neve1073----1176----Apogee Rosetta

i like it. The KH2 can be a really cool module if you tweaked right. It does have a nice chunky bottom end.
How did you add that extra gain stage? I love the current 5150 III tone on the 3rd channel.

Adding a gain stage on the kh2 is nothing special. The KH2 is built on the same pcb as the high gain modules. Without going into to much amp theory he is a brief explanation. The 12ax7 triode tubes in our modules have 2 plates 2 grids and 2 cathodes. So basically a tube is 2 sided. On a schematic this is denoted by v1a and v1b for the 2 sides of tube 1. Each side works independently as a gain stage for the preamp. So on a high gain module like the ultra the signal follows this route v1a to v1b then to the second tube for v2a and then v2b this equals 4 independent gain stages. on the stock kh2 the signal goes v1a and then straight to v2a and then v2b. All I did was add v1b into the circuit. Im hoping the way I explained it makes sense if not feel free to pm me I can explain more.

Interesting!

I wonder how many other modules only use 3 stages.. or is the KH2 the only one?

fearnloathing said:
Adding a gain stage on the kh2 is nothing special. The KH2 is built on the same pcb as the high gain modules. Without going into to much amp theory he is a brief explanation. The 12ax7 triode tubes in our modules have 2 plates 2 grids and 2 cathodes. So basically a tube is 2 sided. On a schematic this is denoted by v1a and v1b for the 2 sides of tube 1. Each side works independently as a gain stage for the preamp. So on a high gain module like the ultra the signal follows this route v1a to v1b then to the second tube for v2a and then v2b this equals 4 independent gain stages. on the stock kh2 the signal goes v1a and then straight to v2a and then v2b. All I did was add v1b into the circuit. Im hoping the way I explained it makes sense if not feel free to pm me I can explain more.
thanks for this, bro. It's really helpful, especially when I try to explain this to my amp tech. Hope to hear more of your 5150 mod.

I doubt that it is the only one. Some of the modders have hinted that it's not all that difficult to add/takeaway most things on the modules if you know what you are doing.

Most of what they do is to swap the stock components for higher quality ones and maybe change a couple values to tighten/shift the tone a bit. Sure, there are lots of more in depth things that they do, along with the R&D required to figure them out, but the module boards are laid out pretty much like a canvas waiting to be worked.

eyeball987 said:
I doubt that it is the only one. Some of the modders have hinted that it's not all that difficult to add/takeaway most things on the modules if you know what you are doing.

Most of what they do is to swap the stock components for higher quality ones and maybe change a couple values to tighten/shift the tone a bit. Sure, there are lots of more in depth things that they do, along with the R&D required to figure them out, but the module boards are laid out pretty much like a canvas waiting to be worked.

This is probably the effect of the modular system being designed to incorperate all sorts of circuits. It stands to reason that therefore circuits can be changed easily to dramatic effect!

I love this system, there's so much potential :)

I put together a list of all the modules I know that are built on the same PCB I broke it into 3 stage modules and 4 stage modules. If you own any of these modules you can turn it into any of the others listed.

3 Gain Stage Modules
Clean
JTM
Blackface
Tweed
Brown
Plexi
Top Boost
KH2

4 Gain Stage Modules
Ultra
Ultra XL
Ultra Lead
SL+

These are only the modules I know since I havent seen the lynch modules I cant answer on those. The recto, xtc, dlx are totally different PCB's.

MegaGoo said:
that wasnt meant to be a high-gain sound clip right?

Reading and the search function the 2 most underused parts of a forum :wink: :lol:
This is what the original post says.
Here is a quick clip in the style of EVH rhythm. Ill post up some heavy gain stuff also.

had to make sure because what you played led me to believe you were trying to emulate the tones in the song hot for teacher except in the original song, they only have a clean tone with the slightest breakup, and balls out high gain. yours was somewhere in the middle, confusing me on what part you were going for

but now i assume you were just demonstrating a mild amount of gain and used a random van halen riff.

lol ya you got and I hope you didnt take my last post personally. It was meant to be funny not arrogant or nasty.

i did take it personally but i figured i'd respond with what i was thinking instead of with something out of anger

I think it sounds great and I look forward to the High gain clips. I have a KH2 so if you could PM with details it would be greatly appreciated.

fearnloathing said:
I put together a list of all the modules I know that are built on the same PCB I broke it into 3 stage modules and 4 stage modules. If you own any of these modules you can turn it into any of the others listed.

3 Gain Stage Modules
Clean
JTM
Blackface
Tweed
Brown
Plexi
Top Boost
KH2

4 Gain Stage Modules
Ultra
Ultra XL
Ultra Lead
SL+

These are only the modules I know since I havent seen the lynch modules I cant answer on those. The recto, xtc, dlx are totally different PCB's.

I too have done some modding on my modules. I traded for a Lynch Super V module and after receiving it didn't care for the sound. Call me crazy. When I compared it to other modules using the PCB layouts,it appeared to be very similar to a Top Boost which only used 3 gain stages. I then converted it to a Ultra XL and then to a SL+ which is what I have now. I have tweaked it for added bass and a gain cut switch and now I think it's my favorite module.