A bit of help with module+tube selection

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinozoku

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum, although it IS for Rigs & Tones.

As stated, I have a few specific tones in mind and I figured I'd ask opinions on tubes and modules.

Cleans:
Hiwatt-style clean (I'll be using a Strat with it), driveable.
Clean similar to Nevermore's clean on In Memory
Mesa/Boogie-esque Lonestar or Mark series clean.

Gain:
Primarily Marshall-esque, I'm thinking JCM800 modded SL+
Mesa Mark II-C+, Mark III, and/or Mark IV gain (any range).
Mesa Road King (Think Petrucci on Train of Thought)
Aaaand, the hardest of all, ENGL Powerball/SE.

The last gain voicing is optional, I'll probably have to find some way to a/b with an ENGL preamp and a separate power amp.

So, any specific combination of power tubes and preamp modules (AND preamp tubes and the specific mods for said modules) that could help me out? Many thanks in advance :)

To narrow the field a little, does anybody have any tips on any of the individual tones? Once again, please tell me if I should take it to the Modules thread or something.

Many thanks :)

Love Nevermore, never heard that disc though

Blackface is the choice for cleans- it really is the best clean tone I've ever had, especially after Pete (okstart) mods. Even stock I loved it- it gets crystal clean, but can get gritty as well, but a real cool gritty (previously I only liked super clean tones, but this grit I like). I think there's one cheap cheap right now on the classifieds

KH1 is right there next to BFace for quality. To my ears, it has a bit more of the deluxe mid- not as much as the honky country Deluxe, but a tad of that flavor in comparison to the BFace. It may also have more clean headroom. But there is a lot of similarities in my opinion, the differences are negligible and it comes down to preference. But the eq on both allow a lot of common ground.

I don't have emg actives right now, I wonder if that would sway one towards KH1 as it is built for that...

Clean is the only module that I have heard neutral to negative reactions. You'll find a few people that dig it, but the ratio is small, so even at a low used price of <$100, I have passed over this module

Deluxe is cool, but has a country voicing mid honk that may work but not be your best choice for Hard rock/metal cleans

The other modules do not clean enough imo to serve as a dedicated clean module.

Mesa Mark II-C+, Mark III, and/or Mark IV gain (any range).
Mesa Road King (Think Petrucci on Train of Thought)
Treadplate stock is regarded as weak, but Pete's mod makes it superior. I wrote a review on the mod section detailing my adoration of this piece.

Stock, maybe the Grail will give you the tone

Never played an Engl, would love to hear from others whatmod is in the ballpark (if any)

Never played an Engl, would love to hear from others whatmod is in the ballpark (if any)

UltraXL with a boost will get you well into the uber-compressed Powerball/SE territory....I expect the Modern would too....unfrotunately I've never had the Powerball/SE side by side with the MTS

A lot of the tones you are asking for might rquire some mods .

For the Hiwatt clean ..probably a topboost or SuperV .

the Lonestar /.BlackF or KH1.

The MesaRect.roadking/mk --Grail or better yet a OKstrat modded recto.

Marshall--A modded SL+ with the Jcm 800 switch .again OKstrat.

Engl ..Ultra xl .OR rumour has it randall has an Engl Module coming out in the new year. don't hold me to it but that was hinted at with an SLO Soldano

Thanks for the feedback, guys! Keep it comin :) I would LOVE an ENGL module if they came out with one, and I think I'll wait for it. I already have a Blackface, and SL+ (which I'll send in to get the SL+ - LCM800 switch and mod put in, once I get something like said Grail module to use in it's place), and an UltraXL that I'll fiddle with. Do you think the usual Grailtone mods to the UltraXL will make it more ENGL-esque?

Now, how about tube selection? I was thinking KT77s, seeing as I kinda have some British leaning with my tone (despite the presence of several Mesa models in my list of tones :p), but I'm also considering 5881's, since the ENGL E 840 power amp uses them, and I do LOVE some of the sounds I've heard from it (Mainly CoB's Follow The Reaper album, but I know a lot of that was his preamp). Is there much difference between a 5881 and a 6L6 tone-wise? Or are they too similar to hear a difference?