Alesis iO Dock fo iPad, anyone using it?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewiv

Reaction score
I'm looking for a simple way to record amp clips, rehearsals, noodling, etc. I just ordered an iPad (3rd Gen) and was curious about the iO Dock from Alesis. A friend of mine pointed me in this direction, he is interested in it, but hasn't tried one out. I was hoping someone around here has tried one and could give a brief overview and a thumbs up OR thumbs down. Again, I'm not looking for spectacular studio quality recordings. I'm looking for something basic and easy to capture some amp tones. Anyone have any input on this device?

click here for Alesis iO Dock

Alesis_io_dock_comp.jpg

Bump, because I'm wondering the same thing.

Often I'd like to record some short amp clips, but I don't want to buy a whole DAW and learn ProTools just to show off some brutalz.

EDIT: I just checked, and apparently, the iPad 3 connector does not fit the Alesis IO Dock. They are working on a solution (have been for months), and as of a week ago, they still don't have the adapters.

gag halfrunt said:
EDIT: I just checked, and apparently, the iPad 3 connector does not fit the Alesis IO Dock. They are working on a solution (have been for months), and as of a week ago, they still don't have the adapters.

That sucks! I didn't realize the 3rd Gen iPad connector is "upgraded."

"?Works with iPad, iPad 2 and the new iPad (3rd generation)" This is the second bullet point on the Key Features page. How did you find out that it's not compatible with the 3rd Gen iPad?

drewiv said:
"?Works with iPad, iPad 2 and the new iPad (3rd generation)" This is the second bullet point on the Key Features page. How did you find out that it's not compatible with the 3rd Gen iPad?
I saw a thread on the Alesis Forum. An Alesis employee posted last week that they are still working/waiting on the iPad 3 adapter.

"JSandeen EMPLOYEE
J Sandeen (Technical Representative) 7 days ago
We are doing our best to adapt as quick as possible. All patience are extremely appreciated as we cannot wait to get this product up to date for new iPad users. Believe me, we are just as anxious as you are. Yes, i know it's just a silly insert but that small part has quite a large production considering no one was "ready" to push a button and start making them. It's not generic, it's a custom insert. I will post as soon as the first official shipment is on the way. Best Regards.
"

http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/alesis_io_dock_and_ipad3

That's extremely disappointing. Not only the fact it doesn't work on the 3rd Gen, but mostly because they say it DOES on the product web page. That's a big FAIL in my book.

Everyone,
Using the USB Camera kit from Apple, you can connect ANY USB audio interface that includes "Class Compliant" drivers for the Mac.
There are MANY available.
The M-Audio Fast Track Pro is one example.
Go forth, and record with your iPad. 8)

audiomidijace said:
Everyone,
Using the USB Camera kit from Apple, you can connect ANY USB audio interface that includes "Class Compliant" drivers for the Mac.

Yes, I ordered an extension cable for my iPad and will be ordering one of these soon. I still don't like the fact it won't "dock" properly, but I guess a solution to that is in the mail. Hopefully, I can give a little review of it and show off my sloppy-*** chops. :?

drewiv said:
audiomidijace said:
Everyone,

Yes, I ordered an extension cable for my iPad and will be ordering one of these soon. I still don't like the fact it won't "dock" properly, but I guess a solution to that is in the mail. Hopefully, I can give a little review of it and show off my sloppy-*** chops. :?

Hopefully you did a little research on the extension cable as some only support charging, but not audio. It seems like the CableJive DockXtender cable is the best available, but problems have still been reported even with these.

http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockXtender.html

audiomidijace said:
drewiv said:
audiomidijace said:
Everyone,

Hopefully you did a little research on the extension cable as some only support charging, but not audio. It seems like the CableJive DockXtender cable is the best available, but problems have still been reported even with these.

http://www.cablejive.com/products/dockXtender.html

I did as much as I could and found the same things you did. That's exactly what I ordered, I will report back. Just ordered the Dock from Musician's Friend with their 15% off coupon. $169 out the door shipped, we'll see.

Latest posts