Alright WTF

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonymustang302

Reaction score
So, ever since i got my new expensive planet wave pro instrument cables i've been picking up radio stations on my high gain modules (1086 and ultra).
I did buy the kit to make your own pedal board cables... could that be it? Anyone else have this problem.

And who was the one on this site that told me to route my NS-2 in loop of my OD pedal to stop the feedback?

Thanks guys.

Dude... I have experienced the exact same thing.

While recording indoors, i.e. at my drummers place here in Melbourne, Australia, I pick up really clear and loud radio transmission. This is through my 1086 module, using planet waves cables as well. I pick up some of the same through my Recto, but not as noticeable. Similar, issues when running an OD808 into a Framus Cobra.

However, this problem is totally non-existent when playing in our drummers shed, which is about 10-15 meters from the recording room indoors. This leads me to believe its not the lead, nor any of the amp components, but rather the power supply that the amp runs on. Location and better reception could also be factors.

I vaguely remember overhearing somewhere (most likely youtube) that these frequencies come through dodgy power supplies, and that a power conditioner fixes this. Someone correct me please...

Funny

I just took an EQ out of the equation, and started picking up a radio station with even low gain modules at home. I am using planet waves cables for my EFX send and return as well I believe. With the eq in the loop, it goes away, but I like the sound so much better without it. I went and played somewhere else this weekend and no RF interference. Power may have something to do with it, but its interesting. Perhaps I will trouble shoot and try different cables to see if planet waves are the culprit.

Those planet wave kits don't use solder connections.... bad! Seriously, its bad enough that the phone jacks operate via contact alone an should be the weakest link in any rig imo.

mine makes wierd noises when someones cell phone is being called, i always know when someone 's phone is ringing :wink:

So then a furman power conditioner will fix this.

And Soulisane.....i've talked to a lot of serious tone psychos and are VERY NITPICKY and they said the solderless kits are awesome. So (sticks tongue out at you).

Has anyone tried a much cheaper solution of putting a piece of tin foil over the front of the amp (the jack input) and plugging in through the foil. I heard a story of a band doing that years ago, when on tour and playing a gig in a place that were next to a radio station. They were getting the radio signal through their amp. The asked one of the staff members in the kitchen for some Aluminium Foil and solved their problem.
Cheers

Smokey said:
Has anyone tried a much cheaper solution of putting a piece of tin foil over the front of the amp (the jack input) and plugging in through the foil. I heard a story of a band doing that years ago, when on tour and playing a gig in a place that were next to a radio station. They were getting the radio signal through their amp. The asked one of the staff members in the kitchen for some Aluminium Foil and solved their problem.
Cheers
I have never heard of that but ****... am I intrigued. I am trying that tomorrow!

So I tried that foil thing. Didn't do it for me.

What I did find was that the EMG pickups are the culprit. Radio only seems to come through my EMG 81/85 ESP LTD V-500, but not through my co-guitarist's Bareknuckle Warpigs on a Caparison. Also, it only comes through when you stand in just the right spot.

Well, mine does it with my EMG guitars and it does it on my Ibanez 7 with passive pickups.......i'm still on the hunt to figure this out.

How come the RD/ guys havent chimed in here to help us???? :?:

Soulinsane said:
Those planet wave kits don't use solder connections.... bad!

I use George L solderless, and they're endorsed by many...though I don't know about planet waves quality

OP- sounds like poor power lines, may be intrinsic to your specific location

I found the culprit......the 10ft planet wave cable that goes from my pedal board to my head. Put my old one there and no more interference. Now just gotta get it warrantied at GC.