...and justice for all

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj4rd

Reaction score
what modules are good for metallica's distorted rhythym guitar sounds from "..and justice for all" and "master of puppets"?

KH2 or UltraXL...heck a KH3 can be dialed there but it has a modern flavour on Master of Puppets tone.

1086 will nail it just go higher on the presence and highs and scoop the mids out.

i have an ultra module. is the ultra xl basically the same thing with more gain. or is the tone completely different? it would be cool if they had hetfield signature modules.

KH2 nails M.O.P. ...it does need a teeny tiny boost (Wylde OD in my case) to get there though.

Surprisingly, KH2 isn't as ultra gained up as you may think; the KH3 has plenty of gain without a boost, but it gets more into the modern Metallica, as advertised. I really like my KH2, like it so much I dealt away the EG5 as they are similar in tonal characteristics for my particular playing style

The KH-2 is the way to go !! It kiils M.O.P tones, but for 'And Justice', I'd add a boost in front. The KH-3 can handle it, but not in the same way. It's more 'modern' styled. The 'And Juctice' tone was 'Boogie mk. IV's (scooped mids)' on Rythmn, and pushed mids for the leads.
The KH-3 might be too much, so I'd defo have a KH-2 + boost for that.
Got a KH-2 on the dela right now, can't wait to tackle it !!

just picked up a modern , i think it'll do ajfa pretty well, super scooper saturator for sure, needs a c3 mod though, 0.0022 works nicely, seems to have gain like an ultra just not as noisey, i had one of these a long time ago so i'm still getting aquainted with it but i'm pretty sure its ajfa ish so far anyway

maximus1 said:
just picked up a modern , i think it'll do ajfa pretty well, super scooper saturator for sure, needs a c3 mod though, 0.0022 works nicely, seems to have gain like an ultra just not as noisey, i had one of these a long time ago so i'm still getting aquainted with it but i'm pretty sure its ajfa ish so far anyway

I found the Modern way too smooth for AJFA type tones.

EDIT: unboosted that is.

thats wierd cause mine seems anything but smooth at the moment, could be the ruby's in it, i don't know, i put 150's in r1-r3 cuse it was so gainy but it didn't really change the gain much ,not like it does to a recto anyway. the modern to me sounds very similar to a rivera :twisted: i like it alot. i'm also running e34l's which aren't quite as smooth a 6l6's, a little deeper and tighter imo

maximus1 said:
1086 will nail it just go higher on the presence and highs and scoop the mids out.
+1 on this. We do a couple songs of songs from that album and the mid scoop on the 1086 sounds **** near identical.

I just played with my 1086 and mxr 10 band eq and got a nice mix of MOP and ajfa tones with only about 2 minutes of tweaking. working out great :D

From what I've messed with so far, I think the closest thing I've heard to the Mesa Mark IV (which is what James used for AJFA), is the TreadPlate with an EQ pedal to scoop out the mids.

Sounds pretty close. The post above me says a 1086, and that's very possible I would guess, but I've never owned the 1086 so I couldn't tell you.