anyone using 2 2x12s (open and closed back?)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
Here's what I'm thinking... running my RM4 - RT2/50 rig with an open back 2x12 and a closed back 2x12 for gigs instead of a 4x12 cab. Why?

Well, I could run my cleans out the open back
Grindy tones out the closed

Anyone else doing this? If I could find a pair of great sounding 1x12s I'd do that, but I'd like both cabs to be the same size so I can stack them. I'm already using a rack, so I'm not that worried about fitting a head on there.

Heck, wonder if I should just make 1/2 of my marshall sealed, open up the top 2 speakers and mic that? ;)

Pete

That's a great idea, Pete. I've been experimenting with running two amps for the last 3 years now. i've been running my open back Fender Twin, with 2X12 Eminence with my RM100 w/ 2X12 MTS closed back, the sound is huge. Clean tones are much more fuller and the notes have way more depth to them.

Yeah, I've been doing this for several years now... I use an Avatar open-back 2x12 with G12H's and a closed-back 2x12 with V30's (also did a setup with the open 2x12 atop a 4x12). I did the RT2/50 channel switching thing for a while, but ultimately decided that I liked the sound of both cabs running simultaneously better than the individual cabs. Now I'm using a VHT2502 and use slightly different voicing options for each cab.

--B

Those are the ones with the old school electrovoice drivers right? Those sound HUGE! Would love to stack one of those along my recto 2x12!

metalmm785 said:
Those are the ones with the old school electrovoice drivers right? Those sound HUGE! Would love to stack one of those along my recto 2x12!

That's right. They were built like a 4x12 cut in half vertically. They used tp be pretty easy to pick up used but now they seem harder to find. I saw an empty 4x12 like that, it sold for $400 without speakers

I thought Mesa re-issued the half-open, half-closed 4x12 as a "Road King" cab, since the RK has the ability to assign specific speaker outs to each channel. Don't know what speakers the RK cab has (probably MC90's)... but at least EV has started producing the EVM's again. Thanks, Zakk.

--B

I like my cabinet alot...it has celestions in it..but no model number anywhere on it. Its a closed back and sounds FINE. It only lacked a little low end and PUSH, in comparison to a 4x12 cab. I did A/B it.
Anyone know the model number of my cab???
It has to jacks..8 ohm and 16 ohm. Its black and the usual rectangle size. Its not anywhere on the Randall website.

I have a RM4/RT2/50,also, a RM50 and 12 modules including an XTC and 1086. I have 4 cabs. 2 with 2X12" Brit Vintage 30s and 2 with 4X10" Kendricks. The 2X12" cabs have a selector switch to run either 4 or 16 ohms. The 4X10" cabs can run either 8 or 32 ohms. They are all open back. The sound simply fills the stage. It's OK to run the amp into a higher speaker load than the impedance switch on the amp is set for:i.e. 16 ohms on the amp and 32 ohms on the speaker. It gives endless combinations to try. The series connection has higher loop induction and works well when you need to de-emphasize the highs. Great stuff to play with. And if you have a large venue, It all gets fed through the PA. All the best! Pat L.

My setup now is a RM4 and RT2/50 into two R212CP's. One of them is open the other is closed and they each have a V30 and GT75. I'm not using the speaker switching feature of the RT2/50, I'm just running it in stereo w/ 6L6's in each side. I really like having one cab open and one closed, The sound is similar but just different enough that it helps fill things out a little. Since I'm the only guitar player in the band I'm in, I really like having a fuller tone. Plus I like having the option of only having to carry one 2x12 if I need somthing smaller for certain gigs. It's nice to not HAVE to carry a 4x12 along.

I just got a RM100 today so I'm really looking forward to trying this in a w/d/w setup w/ a Lynch cab :twisted:

I have one open back 2x12 cab and thats my Koch Multitone 100... there is certainly many great reasons to have an open 2x12 in your kit.

I noticed you said
Well, I could run my cleans out the open back
Grindy tones out the closed

there surely is no problem with doing that but I would like to menton that the reverse could also be a viable option. There is probably no better way to putsome air around your tone than by using a open back cab and that just sounds incredible with many grind tones. I love my Soldano thru my Koch cab. Also cleans can sound "?ltra clean" through a closed cab in a way thats just lost with an opebn back.

Not to be rude as I'm sure you would do the experimenting anyways... just so you are aware is all and ofcoarse to add my two cents... LOL

Craig