Anyone using 6550's in an RM50

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunatiBSW

Reaction score
Anyone using 6550's in an rm50? For metal/rock
I got a set on the way, was curious on others opinions as I've never tried these tubes.

Thanks!

I have tried 6550's alone and mixed with other tubes. They just don't work for me. I like Marshall'ish tones so 34's are my go to tubes.

The 6550's were too clean and boomy for what I like to hear.

I try to like 6550s about once every couple months. I have some really nice sets but also tend to prefer the early breakup of EL34s and 6550s are the opposite.

6550s have tons of clean headroom and are a great choice if you don't want to color your preamp tone too much...

Yes, albeit in an RM50C. As noted, they're clean and loud--nice for certain types of metal, but probably not for Plexi- or Vox-type sounds. (Although certain Marshalls did ship with 6550s back in the '70s, if memory serves.)

Consider that the Engl Savage uses 6550s, while the Fryette Ultra Lead and Bogner Twin-Jet use the similar KT88s. That should give you a basic idea of the tonality.

Rising Farce said:
Yes, albeit in an RM50C. As noted, they're clean and loud--nice for certain types of metal, but probably not for Plexi- or Vox-type sounds. (Although certain Marshalls did ship with 6550s back in the '70s, if memory serves.)

Consider that the Engl Savage uses 6550s, while the Fryette Ultra Lead and Bogner Twin-Jet use the similar KT88s. That should give you a basic idea of the tonality.

You know what I found weird, I think the Slash Marshall Amps shipped with 6550s too...Just curious, does anyone know if Slash actually used that big glass in his Marshall rigs?

That is curious, though I suppose at anything less than ear-bleeding volumes, there wouldn't be that much of a difference. Certainly I can get my HBE to sound convincingly Marshall-y with the 6550s.

I'm currently running a pair of Tung-Sol 6550s in my Mod 50...generally I'm a 6550 / KT88 kind of guy because I like a more "full spectrum" sound with lots of clean headroom. I'm pretty eager to try a pair of T.S. 5881s and possibly some E.H. 6CA7s soon too...

frodgemo said:
I'm currently running a pair of Tung-Sol 6550s in my Mod 50...generally I'm a 6550 / KT88 kind of guy because I like a more "full spectrum" sound with lots of clean headroom. I'm pretty eager to try a pair of T.S. 5881s and possibly some E.H. 6CA7s soon too...

The EH6CA7s will make you happy....I have yet to hear of anyone disliking them....

Mattfig said:
frodgemo said:

The EH6CA7s will make you happy....I have yet to hear of anyone disliking them....

+1. I use a mix of the 6CA7's and EL34's in the RM100. I like all 34's also but the mix adds a slight touch of tighter bottom.

eyeball987 said:
Mattfig said:
frodgemo said:

+1. I use a mix of the 6CA7's and EL34's in the RM100. I like all 34's also but the mix adds a slight touch of tighter bottom.

+1 on your +1 I also use the 6CA7/EL34 combo in my RM100...I tried the extremes of 6550s with EL34s and it just sounded unfocused...I also like the 6L6/EL34 combo on occasion...

So I got them in today, and re-biased the amp.
Holy ****!
Liked them much better than was anticipating. Super huge/tight thumping low end. Really lets the modules shine as well. I dont have to scoop mids as much with the 6550's either. I like a little more mids with them. The newer JF Ultra-lead just sounds plain brutal with these tubes through a recto cab.
Stupid amazing tone........much cheaper than an actual Fryette pitbull is the greatest part.