Avada Kadavera and Mashall tones

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
Have a listen to the file called "Tone Test."
http://www.soundclick.com/jacenuzback
In the track I play a few different parts.
Each part is repeated and each sounds a little different.
I'd love your comments on which version of each you liked better and why.
Let's call each version of each part A and B.
Cheers,
Jace

similar in tone, Part B appears to be slightly louder (probabaly a himid boost?), so the instinct is to pick that one. Definitely B is livelier, but I think I would go with Part A :shock: Too much Lively can get abrasive and generate ear fatique in a band mix

Either choice works though, good tones

Both sound good.

Actually Ray I think it's mostly an EQ difference that makes B sound louder.

I'd go for B, although the character of the two is very similar, same growl. I like the bit more agression on that one.
But due to the similar character I'd be surprised if you couldn't get very close to the tone of the other module by tweaking the EQ and likewise the other way around.

I couldn't tell you which is Mash-all.. depending on recording techniques it could be both ;)

By the way, you also played way more extravagantly on the B clips ;)
So I think you've made your choice already haha

Using any boosts or such Jace?

I would say that they sound very similar but B has more upper mids which I like for this kinda tone...Sounds like either module can be dialed in to sound identical for this kinda tone so it's probably just a slight tweak in the mids on B...Both sound good either way...

But if there's a boost in there I may change my answer... :)

I'm gonna also have to ask about recording techniques before guessing which is which like m0jo...There's much trickery that can be involved... :lol:

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not comparing the Mashall to my Avada Kadavera or trying to make you guess which is which. The A clips are recorded normally and the B clips have some secret sauce. I just wanted to see if the B clips were more appealing to everyone or not. A and B clips are the same module.
Cheers,
Jace

audiomidijace said:
Please don't misunderstand, I'm not comparing the Mashall to my Avada Kadavera or trying to make you guess which is which. The A clips are recorded normally and the B clips have some secret sauce. I just wanted to see if the B clips were more appealing to everyone or not. A and B clips are the same module.
Cheers,
Jace
One module? Why then "avada kedavra and mashall tones" ?

T rying to trick us? :)

I guess I'm not being clear. Sorry guys.
Some of the clips use the Avada Kadavera and some us the Mahsall.
If clip A is a Mashall, clip B is a Mashall.
The next riff might be the Avada Kadavera, etc.
It's the secret sauce I'm using on all of the B clips I wanted to get a feel for.

Cheers,
Jace

audiomidijace said:
I guess I'm not being clear. Sorry guys.
Some of the clips use the Avada Kadavera and some us the Mahsall.
If clip A is a Mashall, clip B is a Mashall.
The next riff might be the Avada Kadavera, etc.
It's the secret sauce I'm using on all of the B clips I wanted to get a feel for.

Cheers,
Jace

Regardless, I stand by my reply. 8)

All tracks were recorded with an APHEX 230 mic pre and an SM57.
The first two parts use an Aural Exciter pedal on the B versions.
The last two parts use the processing features on the 230 channel strip.
I think the drop D riff was the only Mashall recording.
Jace