Bass response completely gone on GRAIL module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKD

Reaction score
It's not even crackly when I turn the knob...just no change at all

I changed pre-amp tubes with known good ones - no difference.

I got to say it sounds very cool like this but I;d like my Bass control back!

Help?

I just checked full range of pot between connections 1 and 2 and it varies from about 0 up to 1MOhms .. so I suppose the pot is working.

Bright toggle switch is working..

All of the solder joints look good

No evidence of burnt components

No difference in another slot

ANO module works just fine in the head/slots

After much fiddling about, seems like either the gain pot is defective or the Bass pot....it's intermittent failure..thought I'd 'fixed' it by dismantling and re-assembling but it went out again.

It's a 1M Audio Taper circuit board mount pot right?

Where to get correct pots???

Mouser 313-1530F-1M ?

Only bought this in Apr '07, is it under warranty?

Not sure about the warranty, I bet it's covered. Sorry I didn't see this earlier... are the pots scratchy? Could also be a poorly soldered component too that's not one of the pots - I'd look around the tone stack especially the two caps between the bass and middle controls.

If it's not covered under warranty and you can't figure it out, email me and we'll get it going.

Pete

As long as the module is within the 3 year warrenty period, you are the original owner, and you have your purchase receipt, you should be able to get the repair covered. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

okstrat said:
Not sure about the warranty, I bet it's covered. Sorry I didn't see this earlier... are the pots scratchy? Could also be a poorly soldered component too that's not one of the pots - I'd look around the tone stack especially the two caps between the bass and middle controls.

If it's not covered under warranty and you can't figure it out, email me and we'll get it going.

Pete

I pretty much checked out everything in that area..it's touchy, holding in for now. I think something may have broken loose inside the Bass pot. I got pots on the way from Mouser.

I don't have time for downtime with this module, as it's my #1..I tried to buy another as a spare in fact but they're on back order.

Sort of related question, do they do Orange Drops in 500pf? I prefer the sound of them to the silver mica one (we're talking input cap here) and I want 500pf in my Grail.

I guess I could always series two 1000pf..(1/c1 + 1/c2 = 1/c right ?) but that's a lot of room/hassle.

RD/Rich said:
As long as the module is within the 3 year warrenty period, you are the original owner, and you have your purchase receipt, you should be able to get the repair covered. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Rich,

appreciate the offer but I think I'm just gonna change the bass pot...it's working temporarily but touchy.

I'll let you know.

Steve

JKD said:
okstrat said:

Pete

I pretty much checked out everything in that area..it's touchy, holding in for now. I think something may have broken loose inside the Bass pot. I got pots on the way from Mouser.

I don't have time for downtime with this module, as it's my #1..I tried to buy another as a spare in fact but they're on back order.

Sort of related question, do they do Orange Drops in 500pf? I prefer the sound of them to the silver mica one (we're talking input cap here) and I want 500pf in my Grail.

I guess I could always series two 1000pf..(1/c1 + 1/c2 = 1/c right ?) but that's a lot of room/hassle.

Yep, you can parallel two orange drops. Also see if you like how ceramic disks sound too... they are cheap and have a sound of their own.

Pete

Parts came in to fix my GRAIL..anyone know the significance of # on back of pots...it's 5J3 on these.

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

okstrat said:
Yep, you can parallel two orange drops. Also see if you like how ceramic disks sound too... they are cheap and have a sound of their own.

Pete

How would you describe the difference in sound between ceramic and orange drops? I'm asking because I have a ceramic that I put in one of my modules, but I've since bought some Orange Drops and was planning to replace it.

JKD,
Did the bass cap replacement solve your problem?
It seems like i'm losing bass on my XTC as well, WTF :x

tung said:
JKD,
Did the bass cap replacement solve your problem?
It seems like i'm losing bass on my XTC as well, WTF :x

I'm pretty sure it was the Bass pot as the Bass would be completely gone but I could bring it back by sweeping the pot around...odd that it wasn't crackly or scratchy.

I just bought the caps to experiment.