Best tubes for RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLattack

Reaction score
I know about what tubes are good for the modules but what have you guys found are the best tubes for the RM100 head?

Also which tube is the PI is it the closest to the front grill? I'm going to retube all my preamp tubes and get some backup power tubes this week.

Tung sol tubes are easily the best. After that i would recommend Electro Harmonix or maybe sovtek or groove tubes (most of which are relabeled EHX tubes). I prefer 12AX7A's due to the oversized plates (also known as ECC83S or ECC803S). I could not say which tube is the Phase Inverter tube but that map has been posted before. Maybe someone could guide us to that post. Hope that helps.

Peace, Joshua

PI is closest to the power tubes.

Best power tube is really personal pref. I have run 34's, 34L's, 6L6's, and 6550's in mine. My tone tastes change on occasion but my current fave is 6550's in the middle and 34L's on the outside. I also run a 5751 in the PI. I really like what the 5751 does to my tone but YMMV. It adds clarity and takes some hair off of the high gain modules.

Winged "C" refers to the logo on S. E. D. tubes. They are much clearer and tighter than JJ's. Great depth and sustain too. A big improvement over JJ tubes IMO.

Stupid question while we are here. I own an RM4 and they do not have PI. What does the 5751 do in the PI slot of the RM100? I kinda know what a 5751 does in general but why is everyone on this forum suggesting this in the PI? Thanks

Peace, Joshua

Mister Joshua said:
Winged "C" refers to the logo on S. E. D. tubes. They are much clearer and tighter than JJ's. Great depth and sustain too. A big improvement over JJ tubes IMO.

Stupid question while we are here. I own an RM4 and they do not have PI. What does the 5751 do in the PI slot of the RM100? I kinda know what a 5751 does in general but why is everyone on this forum suggesting this in the PI? Thanks

Peace, Joshua

I noticed an increase in clarity with all of the modules. The best way I have been able to describe it is that it takes some hair off of the tone without really decreasing the gain.