Bias tweaking

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeball987

Reaction score
For the past two days I thought my amp sounded really harsh and grating in the high end. At first, I thought that it was the JB that I had just put in my Charvel and that I just needed to re-EQ.

Then I remembered that I was fooling around with my power tubes the other day. I have 6550's and 34L's loaded up in the RM100KH and was testing running just the 34's and just the 6550's. I checked the bias and the 6550's were up to almost 41 but the 34L's were way down at 23. I bumped those up to about 31 and BAM! Back in business.

I thought that I read somewhere (Julia) that the 34L's need to be a little warmer than the regular 34's. I don't run that loud very often so I think that I am going to experiment with running a touch on the high side (65% - 70%) for a while.

I run my 4 E34L's at 33.5ma and i find that is the sweet spot for the sound i want, it makes my modded JF recto sound wicked

slashnstrings said:
I run my 4 E34L's at 33.5ma and i find that is the sweet spot for the sound i want, it makes my modded JF recto sound wicked

When you have them set a bit colder, did you get the high end harshness also? I like the 6550's but want to try all 34L's in there too.

Well on my treadplate i run it pretty scooped , mids around 2.5 and treble around 8.5 - high gain set up, but no overall i don't find i get that high end harshness, i did however get it with my 6L6 set-up, which surprised me.

I do like a very Aggressive metal sound. lots of pick attack but still maintain massive bottom end (chug)

I'm running a plexi with aerosmith type sound and roll back the volume for a nice break-up clean
A SL+ for my GnR kind of sound and leads, roll back the volume/tone for a nice warm bluesy tone
and my treadplate for my rhythm metal channel,

so i cover my bases BB King to GnR to Metallica to killswitch engage and so on

I think the lower cold sound seems to suite every module nicely the only one that could use a little warmth with this set up is the plexi.