boost

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus1

Reaction score
which would be better for boosting the front end of an rm100 the maxon 808 or the maxon od9. anyone have experience with these two in this operation and not with your hot rod deluxe or princteon or champ amps which give no insight into boosting high gain amps. i'm not trying to getsrv or hendrix tone, basically my recto needs more gain and saturation but not too much cause i don't want it to get fuzzy or buzzy and noisey. it seems the pro's go for the 808 [ killswitch engage, god forbid, unearth. etc.]

maximus1 said:
which would be better for boosting the front end of an rm100 the maxon 808 or the maxon od9. anyone have experience with these two in this operation and not with your hot rod deluxe or princteon or champ amps which give no insight into boosting high gain amps. i'm not trying to getsrv or hendrix tone, basically my recto needs more gain and saturation but not too much cause i don't want it to get fuzzy or buzzy and noisey. it seems the pro's go for the 808 [ killswitch engage, god forbid, unearth. etc.]

Only difference between a 'real' TS9 and 808 are three or four resistors. I've always preferred Boss Super Overdrives personally, but they are pretty close to a TS. All three are easy to modify too.

I did a mod to my TS9. It was kit that replicates the Keeley mod+ for the TS9. The kit came with 2 different chips and socket to swap them in/out. It was a ***** (for me). I've never modified a pedal before, but it was worth it. The big difference is the mid-hump is gone and the controls cover a wider spectrum. The kit was about $10. It was either buy another pedal like it that sounded better or mod mine. The cost made that decision obvious for me.

Speaking of Killswitch Engage, believe it or not I get real close to their tone with a SL+. I thought I read that they use RoadKings.

i went with the maxon 808 instead of the od9, i like it alot, it doesn't sound harsh in any way. my recto never sounded better :twisted:

I never used a pedal in front of the RM100 until recently after talking first hand with a Randall Rep. He explained the use was not for the distortion, but the Voltage from the pedal......it made sense so I started dabbling.
I went to the local store, tried out 6 different OD pedals. from the Green screamer to the TS 9 to the 808 and everything in between. I really REALLY liked the Boss SD-1. When I run that thing in front of the 1086 module.....its like a Chainsaw on steroids!! But not muddy at all and very crisp HEAVY distortion. Made a believer out of me!! Check it out guys if you never have. And this is coming from the biggest ANTI-PEDAL user in the past! REALLY brings up the tone. And all for 50 bucks! Cant beat it.
Rock on........... 8)

Mailman1971 said:
I never used a pedal in front of the RM100 until recently after talking first hand with a Randall Rep. He explained the use was not for the distortion, but the Voltage from the pedal......it made sense so I started dabbling.

that's what I'm using my boost for. Like you, i hate running overdrive pedals, only prefer to use them as boost.
I use Xotic AC Booster all the time. The AC simply retires all my other ones, including an original TS-9, TS-808 , all great pedals but the AC simply blew all the rest away tonewise.

Hmmmmmmmm......Now I am going to have to check that out!! haha

"Quest for tone is a giant circle that never ends..."

Maximus, why don't you send your maxon to the guy I was telling you to get modified. You tell him what you want and he can modify it to whatever u want for CHEAP!!! instead of buying a new pedal.

i like the maxon but with my 1086, kh-3, and grail i don't need it anymore these mods have plenty of gain although i do use all of it on them. the maxon was a cool experiment but it added too much noise and i didn't need it anyway. the kh-3 rules :twisted:

Thats the only drawback on the SD-1......NOISY!
Not "too bad" but....... when you stop playing the HISS is there.
Not noticeable while playing though so thats a plus.