Compressor Shootout?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zander

Reaction score
So for a while, I've been reconsidering adding a compressor to my pedalboard. 20 years ago when I made the plunge and added a compressor to my pedalboard (Boss CS-3) I was horrified with the results (hiss, anyone?). I was so horrified I've not revisited the idea of even touching a compressor in that time.

Of course, now I've now come to a place where I've been reconsidering. I've been reconsidering because, of the analog compressor pedal rebuilds/reissues I've been hearing and reviewing, the allure of thicker harmonic content raises its head. I've been asking myself if I were to make the plunge again, should I:
  • * Solder up my own Orange Squeezer kit (generalguitargadgets.com / tonepad.com),
    * Analogman / Hartman / Phoenix Orange Squeezer pedals,
    * MXR DynaComp (out of the running, I think, see below),
    * Analogman "Comprossor" (same),
    * Maxon CP101
    * Maxon CP-9 Pro+ (Not really considered. Like the Boss CS-3, this uses VCAs and therefore also appears to be too hissy)
Now, according to MY EAR and from the listening tests I've attempted to avail myself of (analogman.com "Comprossor" vs "Juicer"), the Orange Squeezer beats the Dynacomp hands down. That tiny bit of thickness that the OS adds knocks out any Dynacomp-based model.

But I've also found myself recently looking, and looking, and then looking again at the Maxon CP101 compressor and I find myself getting seduced by the descriptions I find at HC and other places. Especially the fact that there appears to be no additional hiss... Maxon's CP101 webpage describes a unique means of implementing its compression.

Anyway, I bring this up because I've not really heard anyone compare the CP101 to the OS, nor the CP101 to the Dynacomp. Does anyone else here have any experience with these, and if so, would you be able to qualitatively describe the differences between them?

And then there's the can/should question. Just because I *can* use a compressor, should I? Do people here find a compressor even desirable for the realms of extreme high gain, and tube compression we already live in?

Thanks!

My audio "sensei" tells me that tube amps are compressed enough; at that point I tossed my compressor out of the equation and have enjoyed better tone

Have you tried a Visual Sound Comp 66?
It seems to be an awesome compressor, and the buffer gives your bypassed signal more life too!

One of the other things that seems a reasonable argument to adding a compressor is in a better and clearer signal going to an Octave Pedal (I have a Boss OC-2 that I'm rather fond of).

I use a Tone Press but really want a Wampler Ego Comp. After using a comp with the blend knob, I don't think I can live without it now.

From that list I would go with the Analogman Comprossor. Personally not a big fan of MXR and Maxon comps.

A personal suggestion, if you want to take your comp to another level sound-wise, I would recommend you check out the RAF Mirage Compressor. VERY thick, fat tone and great boost range as well for solos, it has something crazy like +30 db of makeup gain... Great sounding pedal.

for high gain? I see little use for a "compressor"...and mainly because any boost pedal will do some "compression" because the dynamic range will always be altered going thru another circuit..and gain stages for boosting tend to do that pretty well.
On lower gain and clean..i think compression is a wonderful tool..if you know how to use it. Its an instrument unto itself, and to be frank most people never apprehend this kind of subtlety...most people cant get the nots right..let alone anything else. Jus sayin.
But compression has its place and there are many flavors of it.
GtrGeorge

My opinion only matters if you have taste.

One of the things that has come to light is that a compressor would be helpful in lessening the difference in volume levels: chords vs single notes. that is something I have definitely noticed as an issue.

It would seem to be worth it to have a compressor like the Maxon always on in order to prevent having the need to hit a boost pedal when going into a solo.

FWIW, I have ordered the OSQ (orange squeezer) kit from General Guitar Gadgets (dot com). Once it arrives, I'll be assembling it and reporting out on what benefit, if any, it provides. I was tracking a refurbed Maxon CP101 on eBay that opened at $65.00 and zoomed to $100.00 in the last minutes of bidding. I dropped out at $80.00 before shipping (+$7.50).

$50.00 for a DIY kit that has all the same components as Analogman's $165.00 Juicer is a project I'm willing to undertake.

(I also picked up a Big Muff Pi kit for the fun of it.)

Anyone have a Maxon CP101?

Maxon CP-9 uses the DBX circuit. It's $243. You're going to spend over $200 for a really good compressor...

My suggestion is to go rackmount with a dbx 166xl. It also has a noise gate and limiter. Very versatile. Yes, it's an always on, but only kicks in on the clean channel. I run it in the FX loop in front of my delay/reverb.

Check out Cmatmods 4 knob Ross Clone!
Also the 4 knob Keeley is sweet.
I have the Cmatmods and love it!

I'm on the same boat as you right now.
It's funny because about 20 years ago, I got a Boss Compression Sustainer, it was so **** that I never even considered a compressor anymore until recently.
I've been doing some research. My pedal expert told me this: basically you have 2 groups of compressors:
1- Ross-based compressors type. This is more for the squishiness thing that comes from squashing the signal. The Keeley 4 knob is among the favorite in this category
2- the optical based ones, which are more transparent. I really like the Diamond, it doesn't color the tone too much at all.

You have to decide which ones is the one you need for your application.

where is the best place to put a compressor? I am leaning toward getting one at this time.
If in front of the amp, I probably would get a pedal compressor. If in the loop or after the preamp stage then I would look for something in a rackmount or mfx with compressor in it.

So I finally splurged and bought the Maxon CP101.

I also received the General Guitar Gadgets Orange Squeezer. However, 2 weeks ago, my son was born a month early. So as fate would have it, I've been feeding and changing diapers, not practicing guitar or soldering up my Orange Squeezer.

I did have a few opportunities to play the CP101 and I like it so much better than the Boss CS-3 I had years ago. It's only a 4:1 compression ratio, but if I turn up the compression enough, it'll squish into chickenpickin territory.

I've backed it down from there, and from there into a Maxon OD-9 (tube screamer) and then into an amp (or even a fuzz pedal) adds just a touch more bite. I do notice a bit of a difference between chords and single notes but it's not as much as I would have liked. C'est la vie.

I am impressed with the quality of the pedal. It's a very noiseless compressor. Now if I can just find time to solder up the Orange Squeezer and offer a reasonable comparison!

With regards to the question on placement in a signal chain, I'm using a compressor in front of the amp for more "grit" into the gain stages. With respect to flattening out the volume difference between chords/notes, I'd probably hook into a compressor as the first effect in an effects loop.

Cheers!

Congrats Zander..and compressor insights:
Compression:
I hear you and Tung on "my notes and my chords have to much change in volume"..yeah that can be an issue..but what NO ONE has mentioned here is that you are probably best altering THAT not with a compressor in line with the guitar (then into the amp..) but with a compressor on the mic that is on your cab.
Why do I say this?
Because most people have learned their expectation of compression by hearing recordings. Yeah, sure we've also heard it in line..but mainly we EXPECT that nice dynamic range because of hearing RECORDINGS. And because of that..you have to put the compressor on the mic, not the guitar.
Thats how you get lower noise, reduced dynamic range and your tone is intact.
Dont get me wrong there certainly is a time and place for a comp on the git signal..but that application is diiferent.
You can thank me later (jus kiddin').
GtrGeorge