"Correct" Presence/Density Board (solved)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc74868

Reaction score
Solved See: http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=15167&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=density&start=0

I recently got a RM50 combo for dirt cheap, converted it to a head and I'm running a KH3 and JF Trilogy. I've ran across articles re: a presence/density issue. How does one tell if an amp has the board with the "correct" value or the wrong one. Also, in terms of tone, what is the difference.

I can't say I'm totally happy with my amp's tone, but not sure if this issue is something worth looking in to. I don't think there's a problem with my cab as I've used that with a variety of heads/power amps and preamps and have pretty much always been able to dial a great tone in quite easily.

Does the presence knob seem to do anything to the tone before getting it turned up to 3:00? Does the amp seem a bit dark and unclear on the bottom end?

If so, it's probably the old one. Easy fix.

eyeball987 said:
Does the presence knob seem to do anything to the tone before getting it turned up to 3:00? Does the amp seem a bit dark and unclear on the bottom end?

Haven't really experimented with it a lot. It did seem like it doesn't make much difference through most of the knob travel though. And it I felt like it the sound was a bit boomy, almost muddy, even with the density all the way off.

What's the fix?

jc74868 said:
eyeball987 said:

Haven't really experimented with it a lot. It did seem like it doesn't make much difference through most of the knob travel though. And it I felt like it the sound was a bit boomy, almost muddy, even with the density all the way off.

What's the fix?

A couple quick value swaps on the board. Jaded Faith probably has an easy fix he can suggest and there is also a post on here about Salvation offering some type of hot rodded replacement as well.

I lack the soldering skills so I have others do the work.

I did a bit more in depth searching on the site and I found the resources you were talking about: http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=15167&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=density&start=0

I'm going to pull my amp out and check the pot values. I'm not great with a soldering iron, but I think I could manage to swap out the pots. As far as getting in to swapping out the resistors and caps, I might just spend the $40 to have JF do it

I also just bought an RM50 combo and need this done to mine as well. Im interested in exactly what to do. or how much the mod for it costs?

Ed

Imselln said:
I also just bought an RM50 combo and need this done to mine as well. Im interested in exactly what to do. or how much the mod for it costs?

Ed
$40, I day turn around. I posted a link above that shows what the incorrect board and correct board pots should look like. Seems really easy to get the board out too.

Yeah, I got it. i must have been typing. my reply when you posted that.Thanks

This is what I discovered when pulling the board out of my RM50C. I believe that all the caps and resistors are correct. The presence pot seems to be the only thing wrong. I checked the values on the components per JF's specs:
Presence Pot: B10K
Density Pot: A1M
Density Cap: 472 (250V)
Presence Cap: 104 (250V)
Electrolytic Cap: 100uF (100V)
Resistor: 56K (1/2W)

And all look correct. The resistor took a moment to figure out, but I googled a green blue orange gold resistor and it is a 56K. Now, I just have to change out the pot. Should be easy, once I obtain one!

Also, on the RM50C. The Master/Effects/Density/Presence are all on the same board

Mine is the old style as well, but I actually kind of like it that way. I guess I like a darker amp. What I would really like is a pic of the headshell you made. Been wanting to make one myself and need dimensions. If possible, would you pm me or post them. Did you copy from a rm head or just measure out what is needed? Thanks for any help.