Demo recordings of my current mods

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
Here's my Sound Cloud page:
http://soundcloud.com/jace-nuzback/tracks
I used the same metal riff to show off the Mamba, Mashall and SG MK22.
Then the same clean parts for my JF Custom Tweeds.
I did most of them with the 6L6 amp and the EL34 amp.
Both RM50 combos.
The 6L6 amp has the stock G12T75 speaker.
The EL34 amp has a Hellatone 60 speaker.
The guitar I used has Jason Lollar pickups.
Low Wind Imperial neck humbucker.
Standard Imperial bridge humbucker.
EV RE-320 mic, Aphex Channel preamp, Mbox3, Pro Tools 9
All of the gain modules were dialed to get "MY" high gain tone.
So you'll hear how each one sounds different with the same basic tone goal in mind.
Have fun!
:twisted:

Great clips, Jace! Your recording chain did a great job of capturing each module. I preferred the V30 speaker to the GT75, which is very bright and has quite a bit less bottom end but they all sounded very good.

One thing I might suggest is if you haven't done so, activate the Hi Pass filter on the RE320 because I'm hearing a ton of sub 80hz on my subwoofer, which will definitely get in the way of the bass guitar and kick drum in a mix. If it is engaged, I'd suggest moving the mic back a few inches to reduce the proximity effect.

Thanks for sharing! :D

Nice clips and playing, Jace!

I think the difference in the speakers is probably overwhelming any noticeable differences between the tubes. But maybe that was your purpose :) If so, it is great example of why people flooded to the V30 away from the G12-75. It's so much warmer and fuller.

Thanks everybody.
Real basic recordings just to show off the different sounds of the modules.
Not a track intended for a song recording or anything.
The Mashall could use a tight switch for the heavy stuff.
For other styles I really like how loose it is!
I just recently started using the Mashall in my 6L6 amp and I'm really surprised how much I like it there.
I got the Mamba in a trade thinking that I'd sell it and use the funds to pay for my new JF Splawn that is in the works. But it just rocks too hard to sell it! Looks like I'll actually have to come up with funds for the Splawn after all!
I've never played a Splawn, but all of the demos I've heard sound great. If I were to move from MTS, I think a Splawn Street Rod combo is what I'd get.
I'd really like to try that JF XMG+ as well soon.
Cheers,
Jace

Jace, the RE320 captures the tone of the modules perfectly! I had an older RE20 but it was too boomy for guitar (but great for bass). Which Aphex mic pre are you using?

Again, great tones, Dude! :D

Thanks a bunch Mike.
I used the Aphex Channel.
http://www.aphex.com/aphex-products/channel/
It has a bunch of processing available, but I had all of those features bypassed for these recordings.
We also have a handful of new 500 series preamps that will start shipping soon that sound amazing. Some have Jensen input and output transformers too.