Does the Egnater Mod50 like a certain speaker?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrett

Reaction score
Some amps are built with specific speakers in mind. Is that the case with the Mod50? What have you had luck with?

Thats really up to you,I'm using Emi speakers(govs and private jacks)and I've used wizards, tone spotters and legends and celestion greenbacks and heritage G12s,I'm not much for V30's or 75's but all those sound great.

I don't know if it's just my ears or what but I find the MOD50 to be on the "darker" side. I'm using Celestion Heritage G1265's right now but I am going to try the G12H30's next.

Some of it's going to depend on the cab...but I love v30s and G12h30s with mine.

okstrat has some killer clips with G12T75s in his Marshall(?) cab..

IIRC I think Bruce told me he uses Celestion Lead 80s in the Egnater cabinets that they put out, so I would assume that would be the best pairing, but again speakers are all to taste. Your ears might dig the sound of V-30's, mine didn't. :( I think the CL-80s would be a safe bet. 8)

Celestion 80 are a perfect "blank canvas" type of speaker. They are very uncommitted to a specific tone or frequency range like say a Vintage 30 is. They don't have as much character as a result. I loved and used Classic Lead 80's for many years though, very, very good speaker. But rather clean. Lately I have leaned towards speakers that add a little more stuff and break up a little more. I tried and liked Greenbacks, Tone Tubbys, Eminence Tone Spotters, C-Rex but I settled on Eminence GB12 and old Celestion G12-65. My two current favorites. I tend to stay away from V-30 and the 75's. They have a upper mid that is not pleasing to me.