Down's sound in a module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sepherus

Reaction score
I've really fallen in love with their sound. After some research I've found out the first album (favorite sounds) was recorded with a Mesa .50 Caliber and I believe Kirk and Pepper used it on Over the Under also. I know the Calibers were based on Marks, and they were originally suped up Fenders. MY Tweed sounds more like a Recto. My DLX however gets close with my RM20s gain boost maxed and a TS in front of it. It could still be a bit thicker sounding though. Would one of the various Mark mods out there get closer? Or if some one might be able to mod my DLX to get closer to that sound?

If you believe Guitar World, they use boosted JCM 800s, so maybe something like that would work?

http://bazseszevilsguitartabs.blogspot.com/2010_03_01_archive.html

I can hear some 800 on Over the Under for sure, and that part is covered by my SL+. The first album was definitely a Mesa .50 Cal for all Pepper's parts though, and possibly some of Kirks also. They used Randall Titans (I think) boosted by modded MT-2s on A Bustle in Your Hedgerow, but honestly I wasn't as big a fan of that sound. Randall's honestly never caught my attention til the MTS line and the V2 and T2.

If its any use, when I saw Down back in 2007 both Pepper & Kirk were using Marshall DSL 100's in to Marshall Mode 4 4x12's. Pepper was using his trusty old red Gibson SG, and Kirk switched between a cream Gibson Flying V and a black Gibson SG.

I saw Crowbar in January where both Kirk & the new guy were using EMG loaded ESP's (SG & Horizon) in to Marshall DSL 100's with Marshall 1960b's, and the sound was barely any different to Down's, just a fraction more 'metal' (probably due to the EMG's).

Over the past few years I've also heard Kirk mention that he loves the Tom Anderson pickups. I would assume thats what his Gibson's are loaded with as his ESP's have EMG's.

Hope this helps!

Yeah the Tom Anderson H3 is what he used to use before he started using the EMGs in the ESPs. Pepper uses it too, but he's also uses the Duncan Pearly Gates and Invader. As a band they are endorsed by Orange now, so that should be cool too.

I am Legion said:
If its any use, when I saw Down back in 2007 both Pepper & Kirk were using Marshall DSL 100's in to Marshall Mode 4 4x12's. Pepper was using his trusty old red Gibson SG, and Kirk switched between a cream Gibson Flying V and a black Gibson SG.

I saw Crowbar in January where both Kirk & the new guy were using EMG loaded ESP's (SG & Horizon) in to Marshall DSL 100's with Marshall 1960b's, and the sound was barely any different to Down's, just a fraction more 'metal' (probably due to the EMG's).

Over the past few years I've also heard Kirk mention that he loves the Tom Anderson pickups. I would assume thats what his Gibson's are loaded with as his ESP's have EMG's.

Hope this helps!

You're in England right?

I wonder if those DSLs Crowbar used were rented gear due to tranporting their gear and the voltage differences because in the states he was using Dean Dime amps...

Yes I live in Southport, 25 miles north of Liverpool, NW England.
What you said about hiring gear could well be true. I just thought I would share the above bit of info with everyone.
Dean Dime amps? I've never heard of those before. Are they new?