(Edit) Randall just regained my business

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCdan

Reaction score
As some of you know, the older RM4's need an upgraded chip to fix the channel switching delay. I emailed Randall, and this is the response I got
Hi, Daniel

Its not a mod that can be performed on an existing board, as far as I know. The RF4?s we?re currently stocking were upgraded in the last year though to eliminate that problem. You may need to aquire a newer RF4.

Ryan Struck

USMusic Customer Service

If this is the case, I'm selling my RM4. It's unbelievable that Randall won't even service it or even send me a chip to install on my own :!: If I don't get a different statement from Randall here on the board, I'm selling and Randall is losing my business.

Wait, you you need to only change the footswitch (RF4)?

If it requires soldering then Randall authorized techs should be able to do it, don't give up on 'em

The very least they could offer on that is a mail-in fix IMO.....but that'll be a pain if it's the pre-amp :(

Eh, I think the RF4 is a typo, as I just received a brand new RF4 last week :p . I'm pretty sure he meant RM4. Regardless, unless okstrat (or someone else) or a Randall rep. can give me some words of hope, I'm selling.

Find Jimosity's post from Fri Sep 21 2007. He mentions that Randall sent him 2 small replacement midi boards, NOT chips, to solve the problem you are having. Maybe if you ask for the replacement midi boards they will have the complete boards to ship you. Worth a try. Pat L.

Channel Switching delay? My RM4s are older and they seem to switch very fast. Can someone detail the issue for me.

NCdan said:
Eh, I think the RF4 is a typo, as I just received a brand new RF4 last week :p . I'm pretty sure he meant RM4. Regardless, unless okstrat (or someone else) or a Randall rep. can give me some words of hope, I'm selling.

Don't drag me into this, I just mod modules. ;) Besides that, I wouldn't have access to Randall only parts... if you can't get em from the source, you're in trouble. Might want to ask how much the midi boards are and if you can buy those.

Pete

You need to contact STEVE/RD. ( randall rep/ rd guy ) He has helped everyone on here that is having problem's with their rig's. Speaking of which i don't know where he is, usually on here every day. I thought he would have been the first guy to respond.

Steve moved over to sales a week or so ago and that may be part of why he isn't here much....not to mention the holiday weekend. He is hooked me up with some good people in customer service to get some things fixed on my RM100.

NCdan said:
As some of you know, the older RM4's need an upgraded chip to fix the channel switching delay. I emailed Randall, and this is the response I got
Hi, Daniel

Its not a mod that can be performed on an existing board, as far as I know. The RF4?s we?re currently stocking were upgraded in the last year though to eliminate that problem. You may need to aquire a newer RF4.

Ryan Struck

USMusic Customer Service

If this is the case, I'm selling my RM4. It's unbelievable that Randall won't even service it or even send me a chip to install on my own :!: If I don't get a different statement from Randall here on the board, I'm selling and Randall is losing my business.

That's crap. The PIC chip can be replaced very easy on the MIDI board without soldering. The PIC sits on a chip socket that holds it in place, just like a tube. Once the amp is open replacing the PIC is just as easy as replacing a tube. You just pull it off and put a new one on. A PIC cost about $0.50 so I don't see what the big deal is.

I need an upgraded PIC as well but I don't think Randall customer support ( or any other customer service ) know enough to handle tech details and the actual techs don't have the time to handle customers. I used to work as a TV tech for Circuit City and my boss never wanted us to spend time talking with the customer. He said that was customer supports job.

There are High school kids that program PICs everyday with their home PC. I would do it myself but I don't have the knowledge or the PIC editor hardware/software. I'm currently looking for someone that does though.

Here is the data sheet on the PIC in my RM100. http://datasheet.digchip.com/295/295-05929-0-PIC16C54.pdf

And here is the MIDI board in my RM100
RM100F-Board.jpg

This isn't rocket science.

Hey Guys!!

I wanted to clear things up a bit regarding the channel switching chips. Our original chips were set at a 40 millisecond delay, which is very standard, but may seem a bit slow for guys used to playing rack gear. We now offer a 15 millisecond chip which we'll be receiving from our MIDI supplier within the next week or so.

Ryan is our new guy in Customer Service and was unaware that this new chip is now available. The new chip is a direct replacement and will drop into the existing IC socket. Sorry for the confusion, but yes we can accommadate guys that want faster channel switching. The faster chip is compatible with all RM4 and RM100 models. Please contact Ryan directly and he can place the order for you.

[email protected]

Thanks, RD/MAN, it's good to hear I an just pop in a new chip; I'll be placing an order in the very near future :D

it may be time to edit the title :shock:

I don't know what chip my rm100 has, but I may want the upgrade too!

I flippen told you, Randall does not leave you hanging. just post on this site your problem and WALA they help you out right away!!!!!!

RANDALL RULES!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a message back saying service should have the new updated PICs in about a week and they can ship them out for maybe $10. I got faith that we have been heard. I have been waiting for this upgrade for months.

+1 for Randall loven :oops:

LOL, you changed the title, but I should have kept quiet because you followed through in the classifieds! All of the sudden I'm a thread title editing supervisor...

Good Luck in your tone quest NC!

Yeah, I'd just like to say that I have nothing against Randall, it's just that this whole delay thing has made me rethink my rig, and I just don't think I'm a rack guy. Btw, thanks, RD/MAN.

Someone please confirm the cost of the chip etc
And also, which of the RM4s are we talking about? Maybe from what serial numbers on are the "slow ones". I bought mine about 2 years ago...so is it a slow one?
I would like 15msec switching times. I do alot of switching out live, it would help.
any additional info posted here I would appreciatte.

I have the RM4 and I would just like to say thank you to both this forum and Randall for taking care of business. Excellent customer service makes me want to stick with Randall and buy more of their products.

Awesome job by the people at Randall, well done!

I still have my RM4 and RT50-2. I have not received any emails from Randall Customer Service on this subject for quite some time now. The last email said their new faster chips were lost by UPS.

Anybody ever get one of the new faster chips or hear any news about them since the "UPS lost them" email?