Effects Recommendations Needed

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rising Farce

Reaction score
I've never been a big user of outboard effects, but I do occasionally like to add a bit of delay to fatten up a lead tone. My MXR Carbon Copy isn't getting the job done in front of the amp, so I'd like to try something in the effects loop instead.

With that in mind, I'm hoping someone can recommend a moderately priced, easy-to-use delay pedal equipped with a line-level feature for use in a loop. The T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater looks to have all of the aforementioned traits, but I'm sure there are plenty more options out there, possibly for less money.

Second, I'd like to try some sort of clean boost in the chain, to push the preamp tubes a little harder for ultra-heavy rhythms. My Boss OD-1, while outstanding for leads, cuts a fair amount of bass when engaged and therefore isn't ideally suited to heavy-metal "chug." Pedals such as the MXR Micro Amp, MXR/CAE Boost Line Driver, BBE Boosta Grande, and Keeley Katana all seem to offer what I'm looking for, but again, I'd appreciate some firsthand feedback.

Thanks in advance.

I just bought a Line 6 M13 last night, and have really been digging it. Like you, I only wanted some mild effects in front - possibly a delay and reverb, maybe a chorus or phaser now and then. The M13 is quite a good unit, and can even change your amp channels via MIDI by scene changes. It's an impressive and simple unit for $500. Guitar Center is having some crazy coupons right now. I bought a brand new unit for $400.

M13 is cool unit...

Simply delay = Boss DD20.

EDIT: the DD20 will operate at pedal (-10) or Line (+4) level...not sure about the M13

The M13 will do both. It supports the 4 cable method, so you can choose which effects you want to run before the amp and after. Check it out, dude

I'll throw another vote out for the M13. I just dumped all my pedals except for a Morley Wah and a Polytune tuner for the M13. I am running with a LB in the 4 cable method. You will need a line level shifter for it though. The M13 is instrument level.

You can get some pretty decent clean boosts out of the M13. Maybe not as clean as the the CAE but the versatility of the M13 makes up for that. The delays are very nice in the M13.

If I hadn't taken this route I was going to go with the BOSS DD20 myself.

Ebtech makes a nice one, the LLS2.

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/llsdes.html

I am sure there are others but this seems to be the most common one. Works well.

It may be too late, but I can vouch for the DD-20 here: it works very well in the loop of my RM4.
Just set it to +4db and you're good to go.

Personally I think you might be getting distracted from your original goal of getting a simple good delay to going to a multieffects unit and running it with the 4-cable method .. it's a bit of a jump..

Having done a little more research, I'm inclined to agree. The M13 does indeed look like a nice piece, but it's considerably pricier due to all the extra features, many of which I don't need. I'm also a big fan of simplicity, so the fewer cables and things involved, the better.

I'm still mulling it over, but the DD-20 is probably the front runner at the moment. The Nova Repeater still looks intriguing--and is even cheaper--but it seems to be less popular, making unbiased reviews harder to come by.

Thanks again for all the info.

I was thinking the same. You were initially looking for a delay pedal that works in the loop and the conversation morphed into you getting a multiFX unit that would apparently still require a line level shifter to work for you. :lol:

I don't have the DD-20 but I do have the CE-20 in the same series and it plays just fine in the loop of my RM100. You might also look at the excellent Digitech Hardwire delay, the DL-8. It was designed with plenty of headroom to cater for line level use.

or you could get the Ebtech unit that folks mentioned earlier and just use it with the Carbon Copy that you already own. You could also use it to pop other effects in the loop too, should you be so inclined :)

M13 all the way. Ditched all my pedals and cleaned up my board. I use the screamer on every gain module I own to boost them and just generally tighten them up. Running it with the 4 cable method and running delay and reverb through the series loop. I had way better luck with the series loop on the RM100. The few clips I did on soundclick are all with the screamer in front.