Erect module not voiced for metal?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ugg

Reaction score
This is my first post here so be gentle. :)

I just acquired an M4 with VX, SL2, MHG, and Erect modules. The VX, SL2, and MHG are absolutely amazing!

Unfortunately I can't seem to get the tone I want from the Erect. My main issue is that the bass is not tight, it's too flubby even with the bass boost switch on 0. The sound I'm after is that Dual Rectifier / 5150 (nu)metal rhythm crunch. It seems the Erect just isn't voiced for this type of sound. Has anyone else come to the same conclusion?

Possibilities:
- My Erect has 2 Electro Harmonix 12AX7's. Are there different tubes that will get me the sound I want?
- Is there a Randall module that has this sound? Maybe the 1086?
- Is there a good preamp (not a module) that does metal? I own a Peavey Rockmaster but it's not the sound I'm after.
- Other alternatives?

I have (or had) all the modules you mentioned, and the E-Rect has been my least favorite of the bunch. Boosting it with a decent pedal on the front end helps, but I much prefer my SL2 and MHG for the "metal" thang. "Flubby" is the absolute perfect word to describe it.

Thanks for the info, I was deciding on the MHG or Erect for my next purchase.

I definitely recommend the MHG over the Erect. Just so you know, the MHG has more mids and more gain than the SL2.

Has anyone modified their Egnater modules? Or do you just leave that to Bruce? I'm fighting the EQ controls on my Erect and (to a lesser extent) MHG. I'm wondering how hard it would be to change some components to get a different tonal range out of the controls.

Not to hijack my own thread, but I've been kicking around the idea of a separate pre for metal. Maybe the Recto Recording Pre or the Engl E570 SE. Any other ideas? What about the Randall 1086 module? How does it compare to a standalone pre?

The 1086A has the DR grind that may be what you are looking for. You may also want to check out the Ultra XL if you are looking for more of a 5150 high gain w/ present mids tone.

I have clips of modded Ultra modules in the 'modules' section... see if that's closer to what you're thinking of.

Pete