Ever side by side a 2 x 12 G-Flex w/ a MTS cab?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caine

Reaction score
I currently have a Genz Benx G-flex 2 x 12 that I'm using in conjunction with my Lynchbox and RM4. The G-flex is front ported and I have been pretty happy with it--sounds very "big" and full. I have never checked out a MTS 2 x 12 but have read other's remarks about it in other posts--all positive remarks.

Has anybody ever done a side by side comparison of these 2 cabs?

well, I went and checked out a 2 x 12 mts cab loaded with celestion centurys. I have a G-Flex at home... and while the comparison was not side by side, it is clear that the G flex cab totally BLOWS AWAY the mts cab. At least in regards to fullness and bottom end, it's not even close. Now, the celestion centurys are not as bottom endy as the vintage 30 knock-offs that the G flex cab comes loaded with and I'm taking that into account but the disparity is so huge that even if the mts cab was loaded with v 30's it is hard to imagine how the difference could be compensated for.

Really? I used a 50 watt 2x12 Atomic Amp with my rig before replacing it with an RT2/50 and the MTS R212NXT (the Neo 12 cab you tried). The Atomic is a ported design and I loaded it with Celestion Century Vintage Neo 12's as well. The Randall stuff smokes the ported design. I am not of the school of thought that a guitar rig should have ungodly amounts of low end....you have a bassist and that's their realm. The problem with all ported cabs I have ever used is the bottom end is very present but not nearly as tight and focused as a closed back design. Looking back, there is no way I would ever use a ported guitar cab again and swear that my current setup is truly the best guitar tone I have ever had. Just my 2 cents.

I don't know that the MTS cab that I checked out had the Century "Vintage" speakers loaded in it. The Randall website just says that the R212NXT comes with "Celestion Neodymium Speakers" of which I know there are at least two main variations, the Century and the Century Vintage. Since the website just says, Celestion Neodymium Speakers, I was thinking that the cab I checked out must have just had the regular Centurys and not the Century vintages. The Centurys do not have the bottom end that the Century Vintages have so if it turns out that the MTS cab that I checked out was in fact loaded with Century Vintages, then I'm REALLY disappointed with the lack of low end.

I've been playing for 35 years and I do understand what a bass player is for. However, I also want to have a full sound which means also have some bottom end---not "BASS PLAYER" bottom either; Guitar bottom which is a desirable thing to have--to approximate the bottom end that you might get from a 4 x 12 in as small of a package as possible.

And there is a difference between a closed back 4 x 12 and a closed back 2 x 12. If there wasn't why wouldn't everybody just use 2 x 12's and stack them on top of each other? I've spent many years lugging around large heavy cabinets and my back is not what it used to be. I've had problems with my back and so the days of lugging around 4 x 12's are in my past. About 15 years ago I figured out that ported designs have some advantages over regular closed back cabs. Even the Lynchbox 4 x 12 is ported, although rear ported. About 15 years ago I switched to using a combo amp (open back) with a Mesa 1 x 12 closed back, ported extension cab--which is a very popular and desirable thing to do for many combo players. I've owned one Mesa-Boogie 1 x 12 ported Thiele cab and I built one from Electro-voice plans which is what the Mesa ported 1 x 12 design is based on--both loaded with EVM12L's. Those cabs are very respected and admired for the punch and big sound they pack in such a small package. The main complaint that some people have with front ported cabs is the focused, laser beam sound. The unique flexed baffle Genz Benz cab resolves that problem and it is also as tight of a cab that I've ever owned.

I will say though that the one cab I built myself was tighter sounding then the Mesa factory cab. The EV cab plans called for lining the cab with fiberglass insulation. After lining the Mesa cab as well, it tightened it up--perhaps like putting a blanket in a bass drum or something.

Now, saying that all ported cabs are categorically "bad" is just incorrect. It is a matter of preference and has to do with what it is that you are trying to achieve. What I want and am in fact achieving with my Genz Benz cab--which totally kicks the *** of the MTS 2x12--not even close--and even out performs some 4 x 12's, is that I can do anything that can be achieved with a simple MTS 2 x 12 closed back design--by just adjusting the eq's on my amp and/or switching to the appropriately EQ-ed module. But I can also achieve sounds and tones that can not be achieved with a non-ported 2 x 12. And ported cabs are not all the same, so until somebody actually makes comparisons of the two actual cabs that I'm talking about in this thread, then it would be hard to knock something you haven't tried. If all anybody wanted could be achieved with a simple closed back 2 x 12, then that's all you'd ever seen anybody use because they are easier to carry and transport than 4 x 12's. So there must be something that people are trying to achieve with different speaker and cab configurations--obviously--or there would only be one cab and speaker design. Before there were 4 x 12 cabs, there was Pete Townsend's 8 x 12 cabs but roadies complained they were too heavy and hard to transport--thus the 4 x 12 was born. But for some of us--who do not have roadies, the 4 x 12 is too big and bulky, thus the Genz Benz G-flex is a great alternative.

To me, the difference between the Genz Benz 2 x 12 and the MTS 2 x 12 is the difference between a Ferrari and a Mazda Miata. You can drive 55 or 70 or whatever in either car. But if you wanted to go 150 (not that I would want to do that in a car) you could do that in the Ferrari, but not the Miata. IMO, the G-Flex is hands down the more versatile of the two cabs.

I almost just ordered a 2 x 12 MTS cab by just reading what other people were saying in regards to liking it without checking it out first myself. I feel a great sigh of relief that I didn't do that because, compared to my Genz Benz cab, there is just no comparison.

The Genz Benz description of their 2 x 12 is very accurate:

"This dynamic 2 x 12" ported guitar cabinet is designed for monster tone and performance. This unique design features multiple ports and a flexed baffle. The porting produces a punchy low-end crunch, while the FLEXED baffle reduces the boomy interior standing waves and increases the projection of our GBE 1240-V75 speakers. The result is a huge sounding 2 x 12" cabinet with rich, distinctive tone, which can out-perform many 4 x 12's. Wired for mono or stereo operation."

Anyone who has a MTS 100 or Lynchbox and wants something closer to the oversize 4 x 12 sound without having to actually lug a 4 x 12 around, the G-Flex cab is a great match up for that application. I'm very happy with my Genz Benz cab. If anybody out there has something else and that they like, such as a MTS 2 x 12 and it's doing for you what you want, I say great--good for you, but I'm sticking with my G-B cab. The only reason I was checking into the MTS cab was because I was hoping to custom order it in the green tolex to have a cab that matched the my Lynchbox. But IMO, the disparity between the two cab designs sets these two cabs apart in different leagues so I'll stick with the G-B cab.

Great info dude! cabs can be a tricky thing! and it really does make or break your sound! my buddy went through a few woes trying to find one too. Were did you try the cab out at?

Hi Jim,

Checked out the cab at M-M.M. in Midland.

The thing about the G-Flex cab, you most likely know that George Lynch was endorsing those, it was his "signature" cab before he signed on with Randall and sometimes toured and recorded with them. I don?t know if he had anything to do with the development of the G-Flex but historically, he usually is involved with the gear he endorses. For some people, a simple 2 x 12 cab might do the trick for them. For me, I wanted something more and the G-Flex fits the bill. The G-Flex 4 x 12 is also ported and is one monster of a cab. I?m not surprised that the Randall Lynchbox 4 x 12 cab is also ported, although rear-ported. It would be great to have either of those 4 x 12?s but I?m not ?going out on tour? any time soon and would only be playing local clubs and I value the convenience of the size of the smaller 2 x12 cab and so for me, the G-flex is a great compromise between convenience and sound. It's a great full sounding cab that goes well with the MTS 100 and LB amps--very full sounding, nice highs, with punchy mids--to include low mids and upper "guitar" range bass.

When I run too much low end, the sound guy yells at me. What sounds good on it's own doesn't translate well into a band mix imho.

I do fine with an MTS 2x12, and prefer it to a marshall JCM800 and 900 4x12 cab. Plus it's smaller than the G-flex... space is a premium for me, and my back sure thanks me for using the mts instead of a bigger cab. :)

Different strokes for different folks is what I say. As Caine points out, all designs exist for a reason and have their perks. I just happen to prefer closed cabinets. But that same preference carries over to home theater speakers, car subwoofers and studio speakers in my case. To my ear, I just prefer the tighter response a woofer gives when there is pressure against the rear of the driver in a closed design. Not that there is anything wrong with the other designs. Your preferences may vary.

The Randall cab has Century's in it with Randall/Celestion stickers on the magnets. The easy way to tell is the wattage ratings. The Century's have 80 watt handling and the Century Vintage have 60 watts handling.

Can't help but wonder if there is something wrong with the cab you tried? Your review just doesn't sound like the sound of mine at all. I am familiar with the G-flex and have played through several over the years.

Did I mention my Randall cab is 35lbs?
:D

I have to agree with Caine on this one. I'm using an RM100 through a Flex 212 and it's a monster, especially consideirng the ease of transport due ot it's size vs a 4 x 12. It's about as loud as many 4 x 12 cabinets I've used, at least to my ear.

The bass ports tend to keep the bottom end nice and tight, good if you're in dropped D or using a 7 string.

I rencetly plugged the RM into a vintage 68 Marshall 4x12 cab as well. Sounded great, but the Flex certainly held it's own side by side. Decent value for the money as well, especially on the used market.

AD

Jaded Faith said:
Different strokes for different folks is what I say. As Caine points out, all designs exist for a reason and have their perks. I just happen to prefer closed cabinets. But that same preference carries over to home theater speakers, car subwoofers and studio speakers in my case. To my ear, I just prefer the tighter response a woofer gives when there is pressure against the rear of the driver in a closed design. Not that there is anything wrong with the other designs. Your preferences may vary.

The Randall cab has Century's in it with Randall/Celestion stickers on the magnets. The easy way to tell is the wattage ratings. The Century's have 80 watt handling and the Century Vintage have 60 watts handling.

Can't help but wonder if there is something wrong with the cab you tried? Your review just doesn't sound like the sound of mine at all. I am familiar with the G-flex and have played through several over the years.

Did I mention my Randall cab is 35lbs?
:D
They don't actually, I e-mailed Randall a while back.
The speakers are "custom" Celestion Neo's.
Which probably means they are based off the Century's.. but not the same.