finally got to crank it!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricevil

Reaction score
So I took my rm20 in to the rehearsal studio the other day, and I have to say I was extremely impressed. they had a junk behringer 4x12 there, but omg. whoever said 20 watts wasnt loud enough to jam with is on glue! plenty of power, and the head is so light...i just slang it over me shoulder and away i go.

had 1 issue however, late in the jam my volume was cutting out, only in like .5 to 1 second intervals. felt like a touchy patch cable on the guitar, however jiggling it didn't help and the cutouts werent accompanied by the standard scratchy sound of a touchy inputjack. its like the sound just faded out and back again... anyone have any ideas? I have a feeling it may have something to do with the power tubes? i dunno.

Blako

electricevil said:
had 1 issue however, late in the jam my volume was cutting out, only in like .5 to 1 second intervals. felt like a touchy patch cable on the guitar, however jiggling it didn't help and the cutouts werent accompanied by the standard scratchy sound of a touchy inputjack. its like the sound just faded out and back again... anyone have any ideas? I have a feeling it may have something to do with the power tubes? i dunno.

Blako

Well, for starters I would eliminate any pedals/patch cables & go with a known good instrument cable straight to the head. If it continues, I would try a different guitar (could be pickup/wiring problem in the guitar), to be 100% sure the problem is in the amp. I'd also check the input jack on the amp (make sure the nut is tightened all the way, have someone else gently wiggle the jack while you are playing to see if that causes it to cut out). I don't know how the rear panel of a RM20 is lain out, but if the internal combo speaker is connected by a 1/4" jack input to the head (vice hardwired like some small combos), I would do the same thing- check the nut for tightness, and have someone wiggle it gently while playing.

If all that checks out, maybe have another person slightly adjust/wiggle each front panel pot. Would also (with the power OFF & amp cooled for at least 10-15 minutes) gently pull & reseat each tube. If none of that doe it, it might be a dying tube, or some other loose internal connection.