?! Fryette GP4+ !?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Mouk

Reaction score
Hello!
This is my 2nd post here, but I spent countless hours reading this forum, about 10 years ago, when I was searching a new preamp, and was seriously interested in Randall modular system.
I’m into rack rigs since I gig, 20+ years. I have owned and still own many great preamps, Engl 570SE, JMP-1, SP77 (two of them), Rath preamp, etc. I tried all the usual suspects, Quad, Triple Giant, Prophesy, ADA, etc. Never had the luck to play the big boys, Fish, X88/99, CAE...
My keeper and go-to rig for the last decade was the MesaBoogie Triaxis + VHT 2/56/2 (pre-Fryette 6L6 poweramp). This is the closest I can get to the feeling of playing a real amp (head+cab). Immediacy, dynamic, and punch.
Another preamp I tried a while ago was the (then)VHT GP3 preamp. But at the time, I‘ve found the GP3 too unforgiving to hide my poor playing, and went the Engl road instead. But I quickly got tired of the "chemical" voicing of the e570SE (for the lack of a better word).
When I found a killer deal on a mint Triaxis, I bought it and I’ve never looked back since. And quit spending my time on amps-related forums for a while, and played my inspired-*** off instead :lol:
I had the opportunity to play a GP3 a few years later, and it made a totally different impression on me. It sounded better, just because I played better that time. But at that same time, the GP3 was discontinued, and Fryette went thru all that legal bullshit about the VHT name, so I lost hope for a new one. Almost. Until now...

The Synergy system, particularly the SYN-2 with Fryette’s Deliverance and Pitbull modules looks like the super-updated GP3, or, as I should call it, the GP4+, as it is four channels now!
Add MIDI control, only 1U instead of 2, the Deliverance preamp as a bonus (the GP3 was the preamp of the Ultra Lead head, if I remember well?), the cab simulation... I literally dreamed about that thing!
I really appreciate that the guy who built my beloved poweramp, M.Fryette, seems to be heavily involved in that whole Synergy concept. I think that the SYN-2 is his creation, which would make the SYN-2 + Deliverance & UltraLead modules a full-Fryette preamp!

I checked all the Rabbea, Ola and John Browne YT reviews, aware that these guys could make a caquelon a fondue sounds great, but what amazed me wasn’t only the tone, it was their reactions, facial expressions, and pure enthusiasm. That, and the fact that big names from the amp world put their brand and logo on it convinced me to give that Synergy stuff a check. I mean, why on earth would Reinhold & friends compromise their well-earned, time-based reputation on a lousy project?

All that said, a few questions come to my mind, for you experienced Synergy/Fryette users to answer! :D
How does these modules sound on a 6L6 power section, since the Deliverance and UltraLead heads are EL34/KT88-based?
Would it be a smarter choice to opt for another module instead of two Fryette’s?
I mean, how different in voicing are the two Fryette’s?
Does one covers the other’s ground better, if it make sense?
I guess the Deliverance is more versatile but less saturated?
And which other preamp would eventually complement nicely the Fryette’s voicing?
I’m also considering the BB-BE or Ecstasy for ch.1 clean and ch.2 crunch, and Überschall or Soldano for ch.3 dirt and ch.4 lead.
And finally, how about the Fryette clean tones? (Not my #1 consideration when judging an amp, but still... :wink: )

At a point, I was really interested in the Randall modular stuff, but the Triaxis killed the GAS.
But as I understand it, even if the concept is basically the same, the Synergy approach is way different. To have the original builders involved instead of just copying some famous amps really spice things up a lot. And make the modder’s business almost a blasphemous thing, by the way! :D

I’d like to know if the way the Synergy modules are built is really different from the Randall’s? I mean, the Randall are all built on a similar platform, with just components and values changes, plus some extra switching options to give different voicings to the different modules, is that correct? Which leaves plenty of options for the modders to upgrade them.

What about the Synergy modules? Are all modules built around a common platform? The personal implication of the big names, Mike Soldano, Steven Fryette, Dave Friedman, George Metropoulos, Rheinhold Bogner, Peter Diezel, seems considerable. I’d really like to know how the whole project came to life. Did the builders work together as a collective, or each on his own? There’s little info on this, and I think it would be really interesting for the community to know more about the whole process?

Sorry for the loooooong post, I guess I spent to much time reading here!

The Synergy stuff was a collective effort with Mr. Egnator, Mr. Fryette and Mr. Friedman (and maybe some more) involved. The Bogner, Fryette, Diezel, Morgan, Friedman, Soldano etc branded modules are designed by the respective manufacturers. The Synergy branded modules are designed by Synergy, and depending on the modules that might mean Mr. Egnater, Mr. Fryette, Mr Friedman. The hardware is manufactured by Synergy in Los Angeles.

I currently have six modules, a SYN-2 and a SYN-5050 and can say with confidence that it's all "no compromise" gear.