Grail - Do I need one?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGKAHUNA

Reaction score
A little back ground so you understand my situation:

-I started out looking for a kick *** combo to take with me to my place in the Philippines when I leave my job at the end of August. The search for the combo unleashed a massive GAS attack and I responded like a Crack Head. That search yielded the follow amps:

Lynch Box: Modules to date are UltraXL(at Robs being Mod'd), 1086 (at
Petes being Mod'd), Plexi(Mod'd by Friedman) and I just
Processed a payment for a Mr. Scary from the Classifieds

Mesa-Triple Rec 3 Channel
Mesa- Stilletto Deuce Series II
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
Randall T2HH (this will be sold soon)

My issues is now that I have the Mesa Triple I just dont see a need to duplicate that tone with a module. This being said isnt the Grail tone based on the M/B Rectifier? If so I just cant see benefitting from it.

Can anyone break down the Grail tone for me? Thanks.

It's basically the lead channel of one of the first 500 Rectos (2ch), I believe it was a blackface model. It is supposed to be mixed a bit with a more hot rodded Soldano tone, so you can actually get 2ch Recto AND oldschool 5150 tones out of it,

With what you've got I'd say no, you don't need it. Do you want one? That's another question.

Like the clips I've heard of the Ultra XL. I'm thinking, yeah, i'd like one, but I've got a 5150 II, so do I really need it? No. And right now I'm down to "do I need it."

MyDemise and I side by side compared his heavily modified Duel Rectifier to his older Grail. Was able to tweak it in almost identical. The Mesa however had just a tad more clarity. But all of the tonal frequencies were identical.

Now that said, I just bough a brand new Grail today. I don't like it as much as the older one. There are visible changes on the board and the mid and bass changes made the tone bigger and more Mesa like but too merky and boxy. Much less clarity on the high notes when striking a full chord.

I'm researching why the difference and what can be done to achieve a more desired result. If it can't be done easily i'm going to return this one and buy a used one. That would be my advice.

Grail is a kick arse module...but if you have and love the UltraXL and 1086..am saying you may not need one with those two in the stable.

Mr Scary is different for sure.

Of course the Grail may be the Grail to you and make you sell the others....it's my favorite module for sure.

Yes the Grail is so far the best I've heard out of the box but I've yet to have an opportunity to hear the modded modules. Real Interested to hear the Jaded Brahma and Plexi, Pete modded 1086 and XTC, and the Salvation modded XTC.