Grail Mod Recto boosted with MXR "Dime" distortion

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AXCL

Reaction score
I'm still new to the RM100. I've recently modded my Recto with the Grail mod and WOW!! It really brought it to life.

I've been looking into getting something to boost my amp and thought I'd try my brothers MXR Dime distortion (DD11) before spending money on anything.

Even with the Bass on full, it still ripped the balls out of my sound...not in a good way. I lost that low end growl. It would likely work ok for a solo boost, but not to add more gain to a good chug. Anyone have any suggestions for settings? Or am I not going to get a good boosted sound from this MXR?

It didn't sound too bad running into my Clean mod, but that seems to defeat the purpose.

Cheers!

The Dime distortion is really just that, a full blown distortion pedal. I would get a cheap overdrive to boost the front of your amp with and you will get better results. The Boss OD-1 and DigiTech Bad Monkey are two overdrive pedals that come to mind that are under $50 and work great. If you're looking to spend more cash then you could pick up the MXR ZW OD, Ibanez TS-9 or 808, Maxon 808, and hundreds of other boutique OD's out there. Crank up your level almost all the way and then keep the gain very low or totally off and then tone to taste and you should be good to go. The really cool thing about the Bad Monkey is that it has a bass knob so you can dial back in more bass if you need it. Hope that helps man... :wink:

I use and swear by this:

546605.jpg

I use the mxr Zakk OD, based on that yellow Boss pedal- I Love It!

Still, I'd like to hear some other ones: bloody murder, BBE Green, Xotic, Fulltone, ....

put the eq flat, distortion at 0, level to taste (10 :) ), and see how that goes.... I have several different boosts, and one of my favorites believe it or not is a Boss Metal Zone, set up like that makes my RG Randall SCREAM.

Juggernaut said:
put the eq flat, distortion at 0, level to taste (10 :) ), and see how that goes.... I have several different boosts, and one of my favorites believe it or not is a Boss Metal Zone, set up like that makes my RG Randall SCREAM.

Kirk from Down/Crowbar used this same setup. I tried it with my RG100HT when I had it and it sounded pretty sick! The pedal had alot of gain though even with the gain all the way off compared to a regular OD pedal.