Hammett officially signs on with Randall

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ82

Reaction score
Randall Amplifiers, a division of U.S. Music Corporation, announced today that they have joined forces with Kirk Hammett of METALLICA. Hammett and Randall will be working together to design an extensive line of signature products that emulates the distinctive tones of METALLICA's legendary guitarist. The full line of Kirk Hammett amps, heads, combos and preamp modules will allow guitar players around the world ? from beginners to professionals ? to harness the sound he uses both in the studio and on tour.

"Old-school tones and new-school technology attracted me to the potential that Randall amps have to offer," said Kirk Hammett. "These considerations are the answer to my continual quest for a well-rounded tonal palette and this flexibility also enables me to make modifications on the spot. I feel tonally emancipated."

"Everyone at Randall Amplifiers is truly honored to work with Kirk Hammett," said Doug Reynolds, Randall Division Manager. "His sound and playing style have inspired music fans for generations. With Kirk's collaboration and our continued dedication to create innovative, in-your-face amps, guitarists everywhere will be blown away with his new line of signature products."

Kirk Hammett is currently using Randall gear while recording METALLICA's ninth studio album ? set to be released next year. The album is being produced by Rick Rubin and will be the bands' first release since "St. Anger" in 2003.

About Randall Amplifiers: Randall Amplifiers is owned by U.S. Music Corp. located near Chicago, Illinois. U.S. Music Corp. is the corporate parent for world-recognized brands including Washburn Guitars, Parker Guitars, Eden Amplifiers, Sound Tech Professional Audio, Oscar Schmidt, and Lyon Musical Instruments.

Is this brand new news? I just looked on the Randall site and didn't see any new press release.

You guys have known about this for awhile but for most people this is brand new. This is the official press release stating what we are doing. Beyond MTS there are going to be some other really cool amps that will be at a lower price point as well.

www.funkymunkymusic.com said:
donbarzini said:
I can't believe anyone would even associate that guy with the word tone :?

I've played through protos of ALL three....

THESE modules are FREAKING awesome.

Jon

Thanks for the update ,Jon. Looking forward to check it out. Too bad Hammett's name is associated with these.
Metallica: great metal band/ Hammett: **** tone, worse solos

Is there any information on what amps these are supposed to be 'modeled' after specifically? I think I know, but I'll ask anyways...

How many modules are there supposed to be? Three?
Any ideas on the names yet?
Timeframe of when they will be released?
Any spy photos? :)

Just because Kirk Hammett isn't the tone/shred god doesn't mean that these modules will suck...To me, it seems most of the signature series modules have offered better tones than most of the stock modules...

Is there any information on what amps these are supposed to be 'modeled' after specifically?
I can't say...but I don't think anyone will be dissapointed.
It looks like 3 is the magic number.
Yeah I'm pretty sure we have the names figured out :D
The official release is the January '08 NAMM. We are currently working on having these ready to ship around the same time so we don't have shipping issues like the last time we did signature modules. :oops: Seriously.
Any spy photos?
Yeah, I have some but I'm not posting them. SORRY!! :(

Patience grasshoppers...

rmilbeck said:
jimosity said:
Is there any information on what amps these are supposed to be 'modeled' after specifically? I think I know, but I'll ask anyways...

Any spy photos? :)

Just because Kirk Hammett isn't the tone/shred god doesn't mean that these modules will suck...To me, it seems most of the signature series modules have offered better tones than most of the stock modules...

Yep, three.
The first has an autowah feature that kicks in automatically when you start soloing. Not bypassable.
The second one automatically causes the drummer to loose time.
The third causes your lead singer to yell "Yeah!" at the end of every song.
There was a fourth one in the works that handed out subpeonas to everyone in the audience under the presumption they are stealing from you, but it got shelved because US Music couldn't come to terms with Weyerhaeuser on a deal for the rolls of paper for the dispenser.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Russ
RMFAO :shock:

you guys are seriously dissing on kirk hammet, but think guys in winger whitesnake and dokken are awesome, :shock: sounds like there a bunch of old timers on here who are afraid of heaviness. to me kirk hammet is killer and all the early metallica albums rule from tone to solos to song writing. maybe the new stuff isn't so good but that because the singer puts vowels on the end of every sentence as well no alcohol on his breath to make him sound good. go get and justice for all out and i bet in the first few seconds you'll change your minds the sound on that album is untouchable. :shock:

I think when the term 'tone' comes into up, Kirk Hammett just didn't really make the list.
I think James Hetfield would have been given more respect if he were the one to have signature modules.
Then again; their tones were primarily Mesa Mark series amps, so that's a good thing overall for MTS users. Who cares who the module is designed for? It's about the tone, not the artist that endorses it.
I'm sure their popularity overall will be a great thing for the MTS line.
Everybody has heard of Metallica, I'm sure it'll help sales, which helps the MTS line in general and for the future... If it were Reb Beach that had been given a signature series module, while he's an incredible player, I don't see that as being an overall great move from a publicity towards the MTS line standpoint. Going after higher profile artists only helps us all continue to enjoy advancements in the MTS line. It makes the gear more popular.
Now; if they focus on getting some players that aren't all metal guys, that could help give some more tonal options...
It sure would be nice to even HEAR about the possibilities of some new MTS modules that AREN'T just signature series modules though.
I don't think all of the tonal options have been covered yet, there's a lot that can still be done to improve on the MTS line....

i agree on that, i'd like to see some original new sounds covering all different tones. some original high gain mods and some original low gain mods . but then again i'm sure everything has probably been done already so only time will tell. a dimebag module would be nice, he did play randalls forever and is probably the reason many of us bought a randall amp at sometime in our lives. krank , framus , deizel, vht and madison are finding ways to make great new original tones so hopefully randall will soon follow,. i'm sure the hammet modules will be sweet but like jim said a hetfield may have been the better choice, but then again hetfield doesn't grace may guitar world covers.