Help picking modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disk11

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a RM4 soon, and wanted suggestions on what modules to check out when I find a dealer with MTS stuff I can try out. My guitar *might* be changing soon, but I'm not sure yet, and I'm probably going to keep the cab until it falls apart. If you need more info on my setup, let me know.

As of right now, I'm only going to get two stock modules due to budget issues, so for my metal sound I was thinking the 1086 (and the Salvation 1666 sounded pretty nice for down the road), but I'm not sure which module to get for cleans. It would be nice if I could get both warm and bright sounds from it.

Edited for the proper module name

I support your choice on the 1086 and suggest a Blackface for cleans.

Or maybe even a KH-1 considering I've seen people saying its a Blackface with more headroom to deal with the high output of EMGs (which your sig says you're using).

Welcome to the forum!

Nightdare said:
Small question, what are you gonna use to drive that RM4?
I was thinking the same thing. The tiny terror doesn't have an fx loop so you would have to buy a power amp.

I'm not a fan of the stock 1086. It can do a lot of things but none of them great. Instead I would suggest an Ultra XL or a Grail.
The best stock module for cleans is the blackface but since you have EMGs in your guitar it will be a harder to get pristine cleans. The KH1 is a better choice because it was made with actives in mind.

Nightdare said:

The TT is gonna get sold or hopefully traded towards a RM4. I'm eyeballing the Blackstar HT-5 or something a bit bigger, in the 20W or 30W range, so I can play with other people. Maybe I'll get lucky on Craigslist and find a cheap power amp or head. A RT-2/50 would be sweet but overkill as I don't gig.

I haven't looked very hard yet, since I haven't tried anything out yet, and I'm still working on my budget for all of this upgrading. Still trying to locate a dealer that has MTS stuff.

I hear you. I had drive for 9hrs to find a dealer that had em in stock. Know what? Im happy i did...but thats me....I would call Randall, they were REAL helpful with who had what in stock and do the drive.
It is a lot of money. And times are hard. I would do the drive and give it alot of thought. Maybe bring the TT as a possible trade.
I like my RM4 and I also use a RT2/50...but I did have to wait quite some before I could afford the Rt 2/50.
But I did comparisons..and to my ears and needs..I was happy I bought it.
-GtrGeorge
welcome to the forum..now, dont be flaming people ok? We dont do that here.

GtrGeorge! said:

If that is directed at me, how did I flame someone?

I found a dealer with a website in Durham, NC that sells MTS stuff, but I'm gonna call a Randall dealer that is closer and see what he's got.

tehuk said:
Welcome to the forum!

Nightdare said:
I was thinking the same thing. The tiny terror doesn't have an fx loop so you would have to buy a power amp.

I'm not a fan of the stock 1086. It can do a lot of things but none of them great. Instead I would suggest an Ultra XL or a Grail.
The best stock module for cleans is the blackface but since you have EMGs in your guitar it will be a harder to get pristine cleans. The KH1 is a better choice because it was made with actives in mind.
Actually, he could use EMGs with it if he uses some lower gain tubes and is careful with the gain knob (which incidentally addsa warmth to the tone, but you can always use the neck pickup for warm cleans).

I second the Blackface or KH-1 for cleans and either SL+, Ultra XL, or Grail for high gain.
disk11 said:
GtrGeorge! said:

If that is directed at me, how did I flame someone?

I found a dealer with a website in Durham, NC that sells MTS stuff, but I'm gonna call a Randall dealer that is closer and see what he's got.
I think he's just being precautionary, as a lot of message boards are prone to getting flamers, and it's prominent in new users especially *cough*UG*cough* :lol:

Basically just saying welcome to our humble forum :)

..No..definetly NOT directed at you. I just realized the oither what a good forum we have..and that I dont recall anybody actually saying "Be Nice..we are all brothers in tone"..so i thought Id say something to that effect..natch it came out wrong and was suspect. Sorry bout that.

I've done some thinking, still waiting for a shop to get back to me on their products.

I kinda miss my 5150, and my searching shows an Ultra XL comes close. So I'll give serious consideration to that and a Clean/Blackface/KH-1. I may do the clean mod myself on the Clean and Blackface myself, depending on how it responds to my guitar stock.

Probably going to break down and get a new RM4 so I have the warranty, and get the modules used since I'll probably get them modded at some point.

In 2010, go check out the new modules (the Orange and ENGL sound promising), get one or two new ones depending on my budget, and send the UXL out to a modder to make it more like a 5150.

Does anyone do a 5150 mod?

I'd get a blackface for clean and a Grail for metal.....stock it sounds quite good...You can find them used here....also, The RM4's that are for sale here are usually in great working order,,The design is amazing, and usually trouble free...,I bought one recently for $425 here used....