How else can I record?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylendm

Reaction score
Well I have an RM100 and a Marshall 1960B.

What do I have to do to record my amp to my interface. Would i plug a cable to slave out and into the instrument in, in the interface?

I like recording with a mic but I'm checking out other options :).

kylendm said:

What do I have to do to record my amp to my interface. Would i plug a cable to slave out and into the instrument in, in the interface?

The instrument input is for your guitar/bass directly into your interface. Anything else could overload it and cause damage. Instead, from your amp out (slave) to a line input on the interface. Going this route you will need some sort of speaker simulation whether it's a software plugin or a direct box with speaker simulation.

This: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JDI/

JDI.jpg

run a speaker cable from the second jack on your cab into this (RTFM though), and then a XLR/TRS cable to your interface (or XLR/XLR if it takes that). Depress the Speaker button, and the -15 db Pad button on the unit. Your now recording direct.

kylendm said:

The instrument input is for your guitar/bass directly into your interface. Anything else could overload it and cause damage. Instead, from your amp out (slave) to a line input on the interface. Going this route you will need some sort of speaker simulation whether it's a software plugin or a direct box with speaker simulation.

EDIT: If you want silent recording, you'll need a load box for your speaker output to plug into.

The Radial JDI is great. Just remember that micing is always going to be more natural. You don't have to crank the amp to get useable tones. If you're handy setting up gobos and some sound proofing you can get good results. If I were you I'd spend the money on a 57, 421 and a good pre instead. If your amp sounds good, the rest is just good micing.

Julia said:
This: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JDI/

JDI.jpg

run a speaker cable from the second jack on your cab into this (RTFM though), and then a XLR/TRS cable to your interface (or XLR/XLR if it takes that). Depress the Speaker button, and the -15 db Pad button on the unit. Your now recording direct.

This connects to the Extension cab jack on the amp, no? I would use it for rehearsals (to monitors/in-ear) and recording.