Insane feedback from Ultra XL

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashishk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Problem. I'm running the following modules in my RM100 - Ultra XL, 1086 and a Blackface. I'm couplling this with a G-major so that I get reverb/delay effects on my Ultra XL and Blackface, as well as custom noise gates for each of the dirty channels.

However, the Ultra XL just seems to feedback like all hell even with the noise gate dimed out. I've tried swapping out the preamp tubes, dropping the gain a tad and even playing the guitar in a separate room to the amp - no love.

Anyone got any ideas what I can do to fix it?
Thanks tonnes guys!

Cheers,
Ashish

If it's feeding back when you are not even near the amp, it's gotta be the tubes. They've probably gone microphonic. Are you sure the replacement tubes are new/good? try running an NS2 in front. I used to have ridiculous feedback issues till I put a noisegate in front.

harsh said:
If it's feeding back when you are not even near the amp, it's gotta be the tubes. They've probably gone microphonic. Are you sure the replacement tubes are new/good? try running an NS2 in front. I used to have ridiculous feedback issues till I put a noisegate in front.

Thanks for the reply man. Yeah... the feedback is just ridiculous. I'll try my other guitarist's NS2 in the front at jam tomorrow and see if that clears it up. I'll throw in new tubes into the module failing that.

Are all UXL's that noisy though? The tone is amazing... really close to the 6505's IMO, but the feedback drives me up the wall.

How are you running your G-major + RM100 setup?

Cool tunes by the way. Checked out the myspace.

Cheers,
Ashish

Thanks for the compliments re: the tone, man. :)

Ultra XL's are slightly noisy compared to other modules but can be easily tamed. I use an RM4 rig (not RM100). I've got 2 gates running - The G-major is in the series loop to kill the hiss etc. The NS2/Decimator run before the preamp, and they kill the feedback. Try this setup, it should work. Good luck!

why not try an XL noise gate mod from jaded faith? it sounds pretty good. http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/clips.html

angra04 said:
why not try an XL noise gate mod from jaded faith? it sounds pretty good. http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/clips.html

That does sound amazingly quiet. His pricing isn't too bad either. Think I might really give this a go, since stepping on pedals and stuff is confusing to me. Thanks Angra!!

been thinking about it also, just thinking of having the xl on full blast and not having to worry about those awful hums makes me want to get it modded

angra04 said:
been thinking about it also, just thinking of having the xl on full blast and not having to worry about those awful hums makes me want to get it modded
Just emailed him. Thanks again angra!

headown said:
Rob?s mod is pushing the UXL 2 steps up.
More articulate, more brutal, just great !!!

Cheers
I'm stoked! All I need now is a 2nd hand UXL to mail over to Rob - sending my UXL from Australia will cost too much. Time to hit the classifieds

I just got a JF ultraxl, the noise gate is a no brainer, just flip the switch, I've not noticed any REAL diffence in the tone, even at high volumes. If you can get all the options I would reccomend that as well, I love this thing.

bktele989 said:
I just got a JF ultraxl, the noise gate is a no brainer, just flip the switch, I've not noticed any REAL diffence in the tone, even at high volumes. If you can get all the options I would reccomend that as well, I love this thing.

I'm getting mine really soon from JF. Can't wait to crank that

angra04 said:

yes do it!!! i got my ultra modded by rob and i used to use a ns-2 infront. now i dont use anything but the ultra noise gate. other modules arent as noisy from what i understand.

mines started as an ultra and is now an ultraXL+
nothing short of great if you like the ultra tone w/ nice quick stops of silence.

jdr94 said:
angra04 said:

yes do it!!! i got my ultra modded by rob and i used to use a ns-2 infront. now i dont use anything but the ultra noise gate. other modules arent as noisy from what i understand.

mines started as an ultra and is now an ultraXL+
nothing short of great if you like the ultra tone w/ nice quick stops of silence.

Already got my Jaded Faith modded module in the mail. Will crank it Tuesday and see the results. I'm super stoked!!

Cheers,
Ashish

Just got my JD modded Ultra XL with the noise gate... and it is amazing!! I highly recommend sending everything you own over to Rob to mod.

I have a Jaded Mr Scary and Brahma. The Brahma is my main tone. The Scary sounds best to me with a 5751 in the V1 spot.