JF Ultra XL (sm57) clip

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunatiBSW

Reaction score
Per request of Disciple:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10858169
Let me know what you think about quality of clip (any suggestions Mike P?) and sound of module?
RM100 (6l6GC), mesa recto 2x12, JF ultra XL (mid scoop, gate on, tight) Eq on pic, tiny bit of reverb.
I did an all out metal high gain setting:
:twisted:
IMG_0003.jpg

Used a Les Paul custom with jb in bridge: Set up to Drop D flat
IMG_0749.jpg

Thanks buddy for making a clip for me to hear the JF Ultra, was curious since I saw it on your sig of how it sounded. I really dig the Ultra XL stock (minus the noise lol) and you're right this is pretty brutal. Sounds alot like 5150 tone.

Have you ever tried 5881 tubes in your Randall yet? I bet you'd dig them just as much as I do with my high gain modules, it's my main power tubes for those.

Great job on your recording as well - you're getting that down pretty well for just getting it up a few days ago!

Same question as Disciple :D Also, turn the gain back to 5 and you have my setting for metal in Standard tuning on my personal UXL.

So, for the 5881 tube question... I have JJ 6l6GC's and according to eurotubes that is the same as a 5881. The site states 6l6GC (5881).....
https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_submenu&category_id=3

please correct me if im wrong.
but yes I think they sound great.
Im really wanting to try the combo with the 6l6gc and e34L's also.
or the KT77 sound appealing.

Sovtek 5881's ARE the same as 6L6 GCs, just in a smaller bottle. A true 5881 is still similar, but has a lower headroom, fuller and more prominent midrange, and clearer highs and lows.

Tung Sol, baby :D

I'll second that for the TS 5881's. They are a fantastic tube and what I bench test and tune all my mods through in the shop. A second reference tube of choice for me would be a TS EL34B.

Those recordings are improving by the day sir!

Your backwards guitars always throw me when you post pics. My brain can't seem to wrap around the visual aspects of the shots.

eyeball987 said:
Your backwards guitars always throw me when you post pics. My brain can't seem to wrap around the visual aspects of the shots.

They're not backwards to me. 8)

Jaded Faith said:
I'll second that for the TS 5881's. They are a fantastic tube and what I bench test and tune all my mods through in the shop. A second reference tube of choice for me would be a TS EL34B.

Those recordings are improving by the day sir!
Glad to see you love them too :D

I've heard that those EL34s sound a little like 6L6's at low volumes. Is this true in your experience?

Also, at what point on the master/module volume do you really start hearing the EL34 characteristics come out?

If I would say they are like 6L6's, it would be because the bottom is a bit more present and the highs aren't as chainsaw-like. They are EL34's through and through, but a little more hi-fi and balanced than most. In a live setting they are one of the best tubes I have ever used with respect to sitting in the mix and hearing myself with ease.

I don't have a whole lot to add regarding the module/master question. I do not currently have a set in the RT 2/50 to test it and it's been about a year since I did. I will say I typically set module volumes between 11 and 1:00 to balance between them and use the Master for my level. I always play for the bands overall tone and often get asked to turn up....the anti-guitarist if you will! So cranking for power amp breakup isn't really my cup of tea in typical applications.

Cool, thanks for the info :) I usually set master to noon, module volumes in t eh same range, and adjust from there. I'm usually needing to turn down :lol: