JJ vs EH 6L6's and other tube Q's

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warlok

Reaction score
I know there's "what tubes should I use" threads all over the net. I'm specifically looking for how you think these compare. I have a quad of EH 6L6GC's and a quad of JJ 6L6GC's. Any descriptions on how they'd compare? Should I even really see a difference?

Also, I have heard rumblings of a problem with using the E34L's in a RM100. Thinking about an integrated quad so what's the scoop on that? Should I just get EL34's and get on with it?

And.. What should I gain from using KT77/88's? I know nothing about them, good, bad, or indifferent. It's kinda hard for someone new to tube swapping to go on "these are great".... Why are they great??

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

You may or may not hear a difference between those two sets of 6L6GCs...Probably little true difference...JJs may give you more gain and be a little darker than the EH's....

As for KT88s...Well, if you want a lot of headroom they're perfect...But most of your saturation will then come from the preamp with the power tubes producing more transparent tone rather than coloring it with power tube saturation...

The EL34s will break up (distort) the earliest thus contributing to a nice aggressive tone...They are great in combo with KT88 or 6L6GC too!

Good luck!

There were some problems with bad batches of EL34s out there. I have not heard of many problems lately. If you need a recommendation for good EL34s I would highly recommend the Svetlanas that thetubestore.com sells. Winged C makes them now, but the Svetlana branded ones are supposed to have a unique midrange. I have a quad and the ROCK! The Winged Cs have a great rep too.

I actually use 2 of those and a pair of Gold Lion KT88s in my RM100. I LOVE the combo. I get the midrange bite from EL34s and the huge soundstage of the KT88s.

Well, I guess I don't really need KT(XX)'s as I don't really play outside of my bedroom studio. Not really sure I'm getting any real saturation as it is... lol

What's the difference between EL34's and E34L's? I heard the problems were with E34L's as opposed to EL34's, no?