Just bought RM20CRP-What Can I do to make it less LOUD!?!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddfan

Reaction score
Aging "rocker" here, new to the board and also new to the Randall MTS. I am hoping some here can offer suggestion to help reduce the gain of my new RM20 Combo.

I bought this amp last weekend when I demo'd it in the local store. I got it with the blackface and JTM modules. I absolutely love the sound of the amp, but found that when I got it home into my small "man-room" (office/bedroom/guitar boutique) I have problems with the amplifier being too loud! With the blackface module, I can put the level control at about 10:00 and the gain at around 7:00 or 8:00 at the most...then the volume starts getting to be too much for my room. It is even worse with the JTM I can put the gain at around 10:00 but I can barely crack the level up to where I start getting some volume, 7:30-ish and I already have so much volume that I can't really get much variance in the sounds. With the blackface module, at the settings above, the tone is great and the volume is loud, but still not so loud that it creates problems throughout the remainder of the house. With the JTM module, the volume gets out of hand very quickly and the settings I described above do not really produce very good sound.

I thought this would be a better solution for me to get some great, varied sounds at low volume levels...better than my 60 watt Peavey Ultra 112. There is no doubt that the sound of the RM20 is better than the Peavey, but it seems that the RM20 needs to be turned up quite a bit to achieve those great tones.

So, my question is do any of you have suggestions as to what I can do to reduce the overall gain of the RM20? Can I switch tubes to ones that have less gain? Should I consider having my shop install a power soak (attenuator)? Can the modules be modified to produce less volume? Would I have been better off with the RM50, which has the master volume control? Even though the RM50 has more power, would the master volume help me to reduce the final amount of gain? (There was not an RM50 in the store, and I am not sure I want to spend the extra $$$).

I play several guitars through this amp...single coil Strat, PRS, Hagstrom Viking and a Gibson Zoot Suit (which has high output pickups, making the situation worse!)

I realize that most of you probably play at higher volumes than I, but what I was hoping to achieve with this purchase was a good tone amplifier that would give me a variety of sounds at low volume levels. I know that the RM20 makes some nice sounds. I'd just like them to be produced at a lower volume!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I should also mention that I have tried turning down the volume on the guitars. This helps a little, but when the modules are turned up to the 12:00 positions, the hum of the amplifier/modules starts getting pretty obtrusive.

With all of the guitars except for the Gibson, turning down the volume seems to help (but the tone suffers). The Gibson, with the high output pickups, has to have its volume control turned nearly to zero before I can use it with either module when the module controls are near 10:00 or 12:00.

Thanks again.

Nice work on getting the rm20...its a wicked little head.

The rm20's boost channel acts as a master volume. you should have got a footpedal with the amp, if not push the boost button. lower the boost gain to 0, and the boost volume to 0. plug in your JTM, ajdustthe gain/eq to however you like set the volume at around 1 o clock, slowly turn up the boost volume. you should be rockin at low volume in no time.

if you cant get acceptable tones that way, then you need to redefine "acceptable" volume...lol

Welcome to the forum. What I like to do is to roll off the boost gain and use the boost knob as a master volume.

Thanks!

The "manual" did talk about a "master volume", but I thought that applied to other amp models. I never even thought of the "boost" circuit working like a master volume.

I've probably had the "boost" level set at around 10:00 or 12:00 the whole time. No wonder the amp takes off with volume so quickly! (duh)

I will definitely try that first thing when I get home this evening.

I love that Cream / Palomino color on the combo. Congrats on your purchase and hope you find the sweet spot for your needs. I have tried a bunch of different combinations with this amp and I feel confident that you will get the tone and volume balance you are looking for. It is an incredibly versatile amp. Don't forget that you can experiment with power tubes and biasing too.

Good luck and enjoy!

I wanted to thank you all, again.

I've tried using the BOOST as a "master volume" but I really did not like the way everything seemed to always "dirty up" because I had to crack the BOOST GAIN just a bit to get sound to pass. (But, it does offer me more tone shaping opportunities).

Anyway...after using the amp for a couple weeks now, I have become a semi-pro at just barely cracking either the GAIN or the LEVEL, depending upon whether I am going for a clean sound or a dirty sound. I have found that by carefully turning the gain just a tiny TINY bit, and upping the LEVEL to around 10:00 or so, I get a real nice clean sound that is at a decent "bedroom level"...and, visa verse if I want a smooth distortion sound I can also achieve that at nice "bedroom levels". I have found that the presence and density controls have a LOT to do with how much volume that the amp seems to produce. When I first posted this question, I was having trouble getting even semi clean tones from the JTM (I realize it is a Marshall sound), but now, I can even get nice clean sounds from that!

The more I use this amp, the more I LOVE IT! The only downside is that I seem to have caught the MTS MODULE bug, and find myself longing to own more MTS modules, and I even dream of getting some module MODS so that I can really explore the possibilities that this great little amplifier presents!

Thanks again...I am now way pleased with the volume levels on both ends of the spectrum (loud and soft)!

Actually, the "look" of this amp is probably one of the main things that made me make the purchase. It's been almost 20 years since I played "out", and I wanted a small, nice looking amplifier that would still sound good. I had gone to the store to buy a guitar strap and possibly a VOX wah pedal...and came home with this great looking little tone monster! (Talk about "impulse purchase".)

George Jetson said:
I love that Cream / Palomino color on the combo. Congrats on your purchase and hope you find the sweet spot for your needs. I have tried a bunch of different combinations with this amp and I feel confident that you will get the tone and volume balance you are looking for. It is an incredibly versatile amp. Don't forget that you can experiment with power tubes and biasing too.

Good luck and enjoy!

If you're still having volume issues, I'd recommend hooking up a THD Hotplate between your amp and speaker...They work great at lower volumes, and you can get the tubes working at lower volumes