Low headroom, crackling on Synergy docks

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardt4520

Reaction score
I've seen this on my multiple syn2s now (5 so far I've owned). There seems to be a headroom issue with them. Hitting the strings hard generates a cracking noise that sounds like digital clipping. I know it's analog gear, just describing the sound. This is with any module I've tried, Synergy or Salvation and with high and medium output pickups. I thought it might be the module gain but even w tdlx blue channel with a 12at7 in the first module tube slot and gain almost off, it still happens. I'm thinking it's happening before it hits the module, either the Syn2's tube or gain before or after that. Nothing else is in the chain before or after the docks other than a guitar in front and power amp following. I thought about sticking at7s in the docks' tube slots but that will change the sound of every module. Any ideas would be appreciated

I would suspect tubes but if you've had that many and they all do it, must be something else. Some tubes these days are piss poor right out of the box. I try to have mine pretested. Weird impedance issues can do that from pedals that hate each other or from some cable that has gone bad. Maybe a good high end buffer before it goes into the modules. Something close to 1M in and 100ohm out. I'm running 2 SYN2's but I have not noticed anything. I run a pretty large pedalboard as well.

Thanks for the input! Yeah, just a cable plugged directly into the syn2. I've had 5 at this point and currently am using 2 and they 've all done it. It only happens on the peaks when I hit the strings really hard and I hear it on all modules, from Synergy to Salvation. It's harder to hear with the high gain modules but listening through headphones at it miced, it's still there. It's definitely more noticeable with the clean modules (TDLX or Vai clean channel), sounds like it's before the gain in the high gain modules, and isn't affected by the channel masters or Syn volumes so it appears to be happening before it hits the module. Turning the gain as far down as I can get it seems to help on the clean modules, so I'm wondering if the Syn2s, pre module, are hitting the modules too hard. It definitely doesn't make it unusable, but I do have to lighten my playing more than I do with an amp to cut down on it.

Maybe use a good buffer overdrive/clean boost in front and lower the SYN level down if you're cranking it. Mine are maybe 10:00 doesn't take much, if you have those puppies over 2-3:00+ might be a problem. Quite fond of the Blackstar Dept.10 real tube clean boost(I have one on my loop out before it hits my modulation section), excellent buffer in those. I think they are at the ideal 1M in and 100ohm out haven't checked specs lately. I also have a Lehle Sunday Driver up front of board but nothing is really cranked much. I prefer less db on things, just a little enhancement. I also have a EP booster set w no boost at all flat response on the end of my drive section, just enhances the overall tone, love that little bugger, one of my nominated GOAT pedals I would never part with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! Yeah, just a cable plugged directly into the syn2. I've had 5 at this point and currently am using 2 and they 've all done it. It only happens on the peaks when I hit the strings really hard and I hear it on all modules, from Synergy to Salvation. It's harder to hear with the high gain modules but listening through headphones at it miced, it's still there. It's definitely more noticeable with the clean modules (TDLX or Vai clean channel), sounds like it's before the gain in the high gain modules, and isn't affected by the channel masters or Syn volumes so it appears to be happening before it hits the module. Turning the gain as far down as I can get it seems to help on the clean modules, so I'm wondering if the Syn2s, pre module, are hitting the modules too hard. It definitely doesn't make it unusable, but I do have to lighten my playing more than I do with an amp to cut down on it.
This could be the sonics of your cab also , have you tried a different cab ?

Check the sag control , see if the lights going off at all , if not dial it up when strumming hard and stop when it blinks red . If it’s always blinking red dial it back , as to much sag might be the issue . If this doesn’t fix it try a diff cab , if that don’t work for you try a diff tube in v1 which I think is the tube in the syn 2.

I did some testing and it would seem to be input levels and having the output of the SYN2 cranked up. It would seem some docks have lower output perhaps that is indicative of the tube not doing well. I think I have one now I need to change out. Sometimes pedals in combination can cause weird issues but since you are going into the SYN directly seems quite odd indeed. Perhaps also a weirded out cable. Indeed a strange problem. Synergy gurus have no ideas??

Hey thanks for the advice, guys! I'll try some of those and mess with them some more. I keep sag off. Module, I think you maybe be correct on the module volume being the issue here. I max out the channel volume and turn the gain as low as I can to get the cleanest signal, so that may be causing it. I keep the other modules at about noon but my lead modules are opened up pretty high on the volume as well for a solo boost. I may need to lower the module volumes and make it up with the syn or power amp volumes