Mesa-sounding modules lack "Mesa sag"

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunky_funk

Reaction score
Why don't the Recto/Rectified/Treadplate modules have that famed "Mesa sag" that makes your leads sound so liquidy and loose?

I always thought the Mesa Rec red channel sucked for leads; lol the Randall stock rec famliy has that.... Th Orange vintage channel is where it's at, Pete gigmods has that tone down- very inspiring lead tone

crankyrayhanky said:
I always thought the Mesa Rec red channel sucked for leads; lol the Randall stock rec famliy has that.... Th Orange vintage channel is where it's at, Pete gigmods has that tone down- very inspiring lead tone

+1. That is my next module. Reminds me of my beloved Tverb.

Nightdare said:
I thought Mesa 'Sag' always had to do with the tube instead of diode rectifier
Yes, that sag has to do with the power supply of the power amp section...If the Randall MTS amps had a switch for tube or SS rectifier, that would solve the problem...The other thing you could do would be to run a variac between the amp and the AC outlet...Turn it down to about 100 volts....you will then have the sag

Rod said:
Nightdare said:
Yes, that sag has to do with the power supply of the power amp section...If the Randall MTS amps had a switch for tube or SS rectifier, that would solve the problem...The other thing you could do would be to run a variac between the amp and the AC outlet...Turn it down to about 100 volts....you will then have the sag
Channel assignable tube or diode rectifier :D That's EXACTLY what we need! It might also balance the weight a tiny little bit on the preamp tube side :lol:

Shinozoku said:
Rod said:
Nightdare said:
Channel assignable tube or diode rectifier :D That's EXACTLY what we need! It might also balance the weight a tiny little bit on the preamp tube side :lol:
Great idea!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

It can be added to an amp no problem without having to add rectifier tubes. When I get caught up again I'll probably mod a few amps with a sag circuit. Has to be done in the power supply though. I've built a few scratchbuilt custom amps that had this, it works great. Again, you don't need to add rectifier tubes to get the sag.

Pete

okstrat said:
It can be added to an amp no problem without having to add rectifier tubes. When I get caught up again I'll probably mod a few amps with a sag circuit. Has to be done in the power supply though. I've built a few scratchbuilt custom amps that had this, it works great. Again, you don't need to add rectifier tubes to get the sag.

Pete
Wow...that would be great Pete....Please let me know when this would be available.....

Hey Guys, Pete,
Yeah, i was planning on adding dual tube rectifiers to an RM100, but when I cracked it open, i realized it did not have a center tapped power tranny. I kind of always thought you needed a center tapped power tranny to "convert" an existing amp to tube rectifiers. But, i am not an expert so i am sure there are other ways.

There is not really an easy way to similate sag with just the preamp. Digital Modelling preamps can do it because they are actually simulating the entire amp digitally, not just the preamp in analog. Pros and cons I guess. I guess for those RM4 guys out there, they could simply run thier RM4 pre into a tube rectified power amp? Though, standalone power amps that are tube rectified don't seem like a very common item.

Oh yeah, my original reason for looking at this thread.....

Randall seems to be attempting to emulate sag by making the pre a little less responsive and flabby. I noticed that this works well with EMGs, but not so much with medium powered humbuckers. To get my recto module to cut hard, and also have a little extra top end sizzle, I run a Barber Direct Drive in front of it. I keep the gain low, about 1 or so, and I keep the tone knob dialed way back too, but this pedal really helps the recto module cut like I think it should. I use it with a Les Paul, but it is even more effective with bolt on neck guitars (strats). I have also tried a tube screamer and it provides the same effect, but it is a little too much mid hump and just does not keep the warmth that the direct drive does.

Nice info, chop :D

Pete: Would this mod be channel assignable? Like maybe have 3 switches, one for each channel?

I think I know what Pete is refering to adding a "sag" cicuit without adding tube rectifiers. I thought this trick also required a center tapped power tranny, but again, I am sure there is a way.

And, i sure hope there is a way. i am one of those weirdos that is crazy for the XTC module. Prior to this MTS rig, i had Mesa Rectifiers, and still have a Triple in my arsenal. Anyway, I think the XTC would sound super sweet over a nice spongy power section.

So Pete, figure it out so we can all have dual tube rectified RM100s. The only downside - 70 lb amps are a real pain to ship! :lol:

I just kick on the Java Boost. I have it set full range. With lower output humbuckers and especially with single coils you get that sag with the boost. Not like with a tubescreamer which is like bam. It works with the higher gain modules. Not noticable with the low gain modules.