MIDI things

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckmehh

Reaction score
If I get an RM4 will I be able to use my Rocktron MIDI mate to control it EVEN THOUGH my Carvin TS100 power amp doesn't have any MIDI inputs?

Will I need to get a MIDI compatible power amp to switch channels on the RM4 with the MIDI mate?

Please tell me I won't.

But don't lie.

Or lie.

But don't.

chuckmehh said:
If I get an RM4 will I be able to use my Rocktron MIDI mate to control it EVEN THOUGH my Carvin TS100 power amp doesn't have any MIDI inputs?

Will I need to get a MIDI compatible power amp to switch channels on the RM4 with the MIDI mate?

Please tell me I won't.

But don't lie.

Or lie.

But don't.

I don't know much about the MIDI mate but I'm sure it's fine...Do you mean you want to switch channels on your power amp somehow too? 'Cause that ain't gonna happen...:)

I'll do a bit of homework and answer again if someone doesn't already do so...

With an RM4 you just set the dip switch and program your MidiMate so it knows your RM4 is there...Shouldn't be too hard...

haha NO I don't want to switch channels on the power amp. I just saw the RT2/50 had MIDI ins and was wondering what that was all about.

Anyway...Good!

The RT2/50 has 2 sep channels that allows you to switch between power tubes when you switch modules...Mine has 6L6GC and EL34s and I can combine or use one side at a time...Very useful but not necessary...

I use a Midimate with my RM4 and it works fine. I just don't have any instructions for it and it's taken me forever to programme the thing specially when I added a multi effects unit.

I use the MidiMate with My RM4 & Rocktron Intellifex. Works without issue.

Cool guys! Thanks. My Carvin has two separate channels as well that you can switch between EL34s/6L6s. Does connecting MIDI to the RT2/50 allow you to switch THOSE channels? That's kind of cool but unnecessary IMO.

Carvin makes great stuff....Love their guitars.....theur stuff gets overlooked alot becasue of the limited availability....

alowerdeep said:
Carvin makes great stuff....Love their guitars.....theur stuff gets overlooked alot becasue of the limited availability....

Hmm, I never thought of them as being limited in terms of availability. I agree though that Carvin makes great gear.

In the mid 80's, when it *seemed* like every guitarist (including me!) were using the ADA MP-1 and the Carvin FET 400, it was just a matter of calling Carvin and ordering. I knew guys in high school in the early 80's back in the Midwest that had Carvin guitars, which were very cool (Floyd Rose equipped, too!).

Once I moved to the 'Wood back in 1993, I went to their shop on Sunset all the time and clubs like Coconut Teaser and others had Carvin PA's and back line for bands that came in. Their bass rigs always sounded great and later, the Steve Vai Legacy heads and cabs sounded pretty freakin' awesome (Haven't played through one since like 2002 but it was great).

I still have a Carvin DCM200 power amp in my studio for my little EV S40's. I bet that tube power amp with the RM4 is the bomb.

Mike P said:
alowerdeep said:

Hmm, I never thought of them as being limited in terms of availability. I agree though that Carvin makes great gear.

In the mid 80's, when it *seemed* like every guitarist (including me!) were using the ADA MP-1 and the Carvin FET 400, it was just a matter of calling Carvin and ordering. I knew guys in high school in the early 80's back in the Midwest that had Carvin guitars, which were very cool (Floyd Rose equipped, too!).

Once I moved to the 'Wood back in 1993, I went to their shop on Sunset all the time and clubs like Coconut Teaser and others had Carvin PA's and back line for bands that came in. Their bass rigs always sounded great and later, the Steve Vai Legacy heads and cabs sounded pretty freakin' awesome (Haven't played through one since like 2002 but it was great).

I still have a Carvin DCM200 power amp in my studio for my little EV S40's. I bet that tube power amp with the RM4 is the bomb.

I say limited availablity becasue you cannot find a Carvin dealer anywhere like you do with a Fender,Gibson,Ibanez, to name a few,so you cant just go and try one out.... and you rarely ever see one used in a music store,the guitars or amps....I have asked alot of players I know about them and they say they dont want to take the chance without playing them....which is understandable..I just found an insane deal on one and bought it,really liked it and acquired a few more since then....

alowerdeep said:
I say limited availablity becasue you cannot find a Carvin dealer anywhere like you do with a Fender,Gibson,Ibanez, to name a few,so you cant just go and try one out....

Oh, I gotcha. Don't they have like a 10 day return policy or similar? Their amps and PA gear are hard to beat but I totally get not wanting to purchase a guitar over the internet.

chuckmehh said:
Cool guys! Thanks. My Carvin has two separate channels as well that you can switch between EL34s/6L6s. Does connecting MIDI to the RT2/50 allow you to switch THOSE channels? That's kind of cool but unnecessary IMO.
Yes the midi allows you to switch between poweramp channels just like preamp channels. (with one cab).
And while you can easily live without it .. it's definitly not useless!

Consider this:
Clean + 6L6
Snappy crunch + EL34
Heavy high gain + 6L6
Lead + EL34

... it would sound fine with all through 6L6 or EL34, but adding that switch just adds that little bit more character to the tone.
So necessary? Far from it. But defenitly not useless.

It your back can handle it that is :twisted:

m0jo said:
chuckmehh said:
Yes the midi allows you to switch between poweramp channels just like preamp channels. (with one cab).
And while you can easily live without it .. it's definitly not useless!

Consider this:
Clean + 6L6
Snappy crunch + EL34
Heavy high gain + 6L6
Lead + EL34

... it would sound fine with all through 6L6 or EL34, but adding that switch just adds that little bit more character to the tone.
So necessary? Far from it. But defenitly not useless.

It your back can handle it that is :twisted:

Agreed...The RT2/50 is the icing on the MTS cake....The versatility is certainly useful...I run TAD6L6Gcs and Svetlana Winged C EL34s...They sound cool together but being able to select just one is the difference in a good or very good recording....

Yeah I understand the purpose, and it is definitely cool. I'd like to have one sometime down the line for sure! I couldn't get one for the price I got the Carvin for though!! haha

Mike P said:
alowerdeep said:
I say limited availablity becasue you cannot find a Carvin dealer anywhere like you do with a Fender,Gibson,Ibanez, to name a few,so you cant just go and try one out....

Oh, I gotcha. Don't they have like a 10 day return policy or similar? Their amps and PA gear are hard to beat but I totally get not wanting to purchase a guitar over the internet.

I think it is actually 30 days,but you have to pay return shipping..I guess that is better than being out alot of cash of you dont like it though...but the general population of musicians doesnt like to go through alll of that....Want to get one of their double hum teles at some point next year I think....