MODUAL TONES

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walshinator666

Reaction score
Which tones do you prefer?All moduals were set the same,I did a short chug in E
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9710891 tone #1
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9710898 tone #2
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9710904 tone #3

#1 wins, then 3, then 2..but they all sound pretty similar to be honest haha

3 was best to my ear. Then 1, and lastly 2....

THey were all in the same ballpark tonewise - 2 just sounded like too many mids were cut...3 was the most focused sounding...1 was similar to 3 but with less bite...

They all sound super-similar to me. I'm guessing this is the same module with some slight eq changes? If I had to choose, I would say 3, 1, 2.

They sound pretty much the same to me. Just the last one was softer than the others which doesn't mean anything except you had it turned down about 3 db

All sound very similar...1 is very close to 2 .. of the lot, I preferred 3 but hard to say that I liked any of the tones...sorry

They are 3 different moduals set the same.Tone1-mash-all,Tone2-chubracabra and Tone3-mamba.Setting were:Gain-3 o'clock,Bass-2:30,Mids-11:00,Trebel-3:00 and Volume-3:00

Wow...When I was looking at your modules I was trying to figure out which was which...I dial my modules in similarly as well so they all kinda take on a like tone...

I agree with Ray that mic placement and recording method sounded fuzzy...But I'm on computer speakers now too....

Either way thanks for doing this....Clips of any kind are always good to hear...

Cheers!

I must admit I don't know much about recording.I was using asennheiser e609 mic and just hung it off the cab(randall 2x12) so the mic was off center the speaker(gt12-75).The mic went into a line 6UX2 interface and was playing my jackson with ZW-EMG active pickups.I'm in the process of learning this recording stuff but it's much more involved than first anticipated,it's fun anyway.For what it's worth most picked the mamba as first choice.I was also hoping more people would pick the chubracabra(I really like this modual)

You're off to a good start with the e609 as far as recording goes...Great mic! While SM57s are more common...The e609 is much more forgiving and reproduces guitar tones exceptionally well...If you ever are in the market for another mic, the e906 is even better...It has two different frequency rolloffs that are quite cool...But the e609 is plenty awesome..I have found them to be good about two to three inches from the cab and slightly off center...

Just experiment with moving it around while someone plays (you should wear iso headphones if you got 'em)...You'll find the sweet spot...Then get some masking tape and put a box on the cab where the sweet spot is located and you'll be good to go from there...

Edited to add: The e609 really does better being a bit further from the cab than a 57 so hanging it probably isn't your best option tonewise...

The e609 really does better being a bit further from the cab than a 57 so hanging it probably isn't your best option tonewise

****, isn't that the reason one buys the mic? There must be a sweet spot somewhere up on the grill, crank up your headphones, hit a power chord and go off center somewhere

The 609 sounds a lot like the 57 in clips I've heard. My 57 sounded like brittle dogshit until I got a decent preamp, then it came alive.

I suppose given it's shape that it would be a hanger...But I have several and can say that, to my ear, they sound much better with a little breathing room...I'm sure you can get great tone right against the speaker too...I have a cab grabber that holds mine almost 6 inches from the speaker...Just for variety I'll often throw a 57 right against the grill and mix 'em...But I always end up leaning on the e906...

crankyrayhanky said:
The e609 really does better being a bit further from the cab than a 57 so hanging it probably isn't your best option tonewise

****, isn't that the reason one buys the mic? There must be a sweet spot somewhere up on the grill, crank up your headphones, hit a power chord and go off center somewhere

The 609 sounds a lot like the 57 in clips I've heard. My 57 sounded like brittle dogshit until I got a decent preamp, then it came alive.

walshinator666 said:
I must admit I don't know much about recording.I was using asennheiser e609 mic and just hung it off the cab(randall 2x12) so the mic was off center the speaker(gt12-75).The mic went into a line 6UX2 interface and was playing my jackson with ZW-EMG active pickups.I'm in the process of learning this recording stuff but it's much more involved than first anticipated,it's fun anyway.For what it's worth most picked the mamba as first choice.I was also hoping more people would pick the chubracabra(I really like this modual)

Read this. It's in PDF, so you can download it and have it available. Plus it's entertaining:

Slipperman's Guide: Bad Mucking Fastard

You may not have all the gear he describes but seriously, it's a necessary read -- even if you decide to go direct.