Module or mod for JCM800 2203 tone

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkcchampion

Reaction score
Hi there,
my name is Marco, I'm from Italy and I'm a quite long-time lurker.

I've been interested into Randall MTS series for a while, and now I have a chance to grab an ex-demo RM50 black combo with 3 modules.

I have a question for which I haven't found an answer searching the forum:
what module or modded module would u recommend to get as close as possible to a JCM800 2203 (not 2205!) type tone?
Obviously, coupling it with the speakers (G12T-75) and valves (EL-34) which would go by the real amplifier.

Thanks!

Oh great, thank you!
Will it nail it?

NOTE: of course it can't be 100% equal as a vintage JCM800. Keep in mind that even two JCM800 2203 or 2204 (the 50w version of the 2203) can sound different if A/Bed directly (two different years or production lots or just some little nuances in production tolerances may affect the sound), I'm aware of this. And again, there are a lot of other factors, like speakers, cabinets, valves (age, brand/model), biasing (two identical amps sound quite different with a different bias setting), mics (typ, positioning...) and mic preamps.. and so on.
But I'm looking for a tone that is convicing enough to sound like a classic JCM800 2203/2204 Marshall crunch, this is my point.

Salvation did A/B comparisons with 2203
AB_mas_all_1_small.jpg

Mash-all mod with 4 marshall sounds, we want to be as close to JCM800 sound as possible

smash01.jpg

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=9455

Oh dear... I'm so impressed!!!

The Brian May sound is sooooooooooooooooooooo spot on!!!! GAS!!!!!!

I think I'm gonna buy it.
Is 1000 euros shipped a good price for an ex-deo RM50 with JTM, Blackface and Treadplate modules?

wkcchampion said:
Oh great, thank you!
Will it nail it?

NOTE: of course it can't be 100% equal as a vintage JCM800. Keep in mind that even two JCM800 2203 or 2204 (the 50w version of the 2203) can sound different if A/Bed directly (two different years or production lots or just some little nuances in production tolerances may affect the sound), I'm aware of this. And again, there are a lot of other factors, like speakers, cabinets, valves (age, brand/model), biasing (two identical amps sound quite different with a different bias setting), mics (typ, positioning...) and mic preamps.. and so on.
But I'm looking for a tone that is convicing enough to sound like a classic JCM800 2203/2204 Marshall crunch, this is my point.

In my personal opinion SL+'s wont take you all the way there. It won't really replace real 2203s, especially not unmodded ones. If I were you I would save up for the new Hyenik/Salvation Mash-all.

Yeah, that's an alright deal, RM50 + 3 modules. My advice is keep the blackface for clean, sell the treadplate on here or on the bay, then send your JTM to Salvation mods for the Mash-All mod, should cost more than $200-$250, it looks amazing!

I think the SL+ gets you close enough. There's a lot of variables. Like your speaker cabs. Are you going to match a live tone or a recorded tone? UK Marshall or US import?

The US Imports typically got 6550s dropped in so the tubes and amp would make it past warranty. They did this for a few years and I don't know which ones.

Some used Sovtek 6CA7's.

I've gotten the tone using various other methods... like when I'm using single coils running a treble booster instead of a tubescreamer. You get that grit. With humbuckers? The tone is fine by me. I can live with it just fine. Whether it's exact? I don't know. I don't have a JCM800 here to run it against.

I'm starting to go by "which tone works with what I'm playing" and just adapt.

wkcchampion said:
Tone King? lol he's a joke.

He's what the 'professional guitarmag journalists' call an "stupid amateur"

But when I look at the reviews of 'professional guitarmag journalists' they're at least just as bad, and getting paid to give it a good rating

Nightdare said:
wkcchampion said:
Tone King? lol he's a joke.

He's what the 'professional guitarmag journalists' call an "stupid amateur"

But when I look at the reviews of 'professional guitarmag journalists' they're at least just as bad, and getting paid to give it a good rating

Well I regularly buy the UK magazine "guitarist" and that's excellent

The guy who posts videos as "ToneKing: does us all a service. He makes videos showing gear..even comparing it. He isnt perfect..but he is doing this for free, last I knew..and he isnt favoring any particular brand. This is more than I can say for alot of guitar mag journalists.
I read guitar mags for DECADES..and the truth went away around 1990 in the reviews. Just sayin..
We should be thankful to "The tone King"..he helps alot of people see how the gear works..and not everybody lives near a good, well stocked music store.
GtrGeorge

To be sincere, if I had to follow his reviews, I'd probably never ever bought something. I don't know why, but the sound is always so bad!!!!
He should play a bit with the settings and improve the sound.

tone king has the right idea and good intentions, seems like a good guy.
but he really cannot play a riff to save himself and he is excruciatingly bad at dialing in good tones on amps, which really sucks because it could be an excellent thing.
check out his review on the mr scary module :shock: :shock: :shock:

lolthrash said:
tone king has the right idea and good intentions, seems like a good guy.
but he really cannot play a riff to save himself and he is excruciatingly bad at dialing in good tones on amps, which really sucks because it could be an excellent thing.
check out his review on the mr scary module :shock: :shock: :shock:

+1. This perfectly reflects my opinion. He has great intentions, but he has to drastically improve sounds and playing

It rules if you have acutally not much experience with recorded tone. I have my small studio and I really have to fight to get such an horrible tone with that - using such godo gear AND Sm57 mikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds like you have some comparison clips you'd like to share from your studio that would be much better