Modules/ mods for covers!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyMikey

Reaction score
I may be the worst tone guy around. I?ve been playing guitar for over 30 years and still don?t have a grasp for how to accurately describe ?tone? in words. Tight, loose, middy etc... I can kind of hear or feel what I think these terms are referring to but many times don?t agree on the general consensus? take on certain tones.

I play in a cover band and use a broad range of tones. Currently I rely on a Digitech RP500 and several downloaded user and factory patches to get me there.

So I?m going to take a different approach to finding a couple of modules or mods to my existing (Deluxe, XTC, JF Plexi) modules that may fit my bill. I?m going to list a few songs or bands that I need to cover. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John Cougar: Pink Houses
Romantics: What I Like About You
Matchbox 20: Push
Staind: It?s Been Awhile
Candlebox: Far Behind
G-N-R: Sweet Child Of Mine
Foo Fighters: Learn To Fly, My Hero
Alice In Chains: Man In The Box

Then there is AC/DC, Jet, Skynyrd, The Black Crowes, Three Doors Down etc....

Thanks,

Mike

from the looks of everything you need a mid to high gainer Marshall mod, A Salvo Mashall + or JF 1959RR would cover you from Black Crows and GnR to Candlebox and Staind (CB used a Marshall Mosfet 100 and Peavey VTM120; which was a marshall-ish clone on that album and Staind used a Marshall JMP-1) we all know slash uses Marshall "Silver Jubilee" JCM800s, I see you have an XTC, but those are very different sounding then the Marshall tones in question, probably only good for the AIC stuff, but the Mashall and JF '59RR would get you closer IMO.

Foo Fighters seem to use alot of Mesa and Vox stuff, as does Matchbox 20,
So if you're inclined probably a JF or Salvo Vox mod like the Matchvox, my buddy has one and covers an impressive amount of tones, got some really good Matchbox and Collective Soul tones out of it.

Your Deluxe or Plexi should get you everything else you listed, if you're not happy with the Deluxe i would suggest having it modded by JF as his Twin/Deluxe mod is an outstanding clean tone.

hope this helps

I appreciate your take on things. I'm going to look into that Tweed/ Deluxe thing. I've already discovered that the stock Deluxe does a decent cruch via the boost switch on the RM22. It's not very Marshally but not bad. The JF Plexi I have also has a boost switch that gets pretty hot and could allow me to cover a good bit of ground in the heavier stuff.

Great input!

Since your on an rm22, the jf deluxe twin and jf plexi will take you far, maybe another od or distortion for the heavier stuff to take em to the next level. This miced with the digitech should cover all the ground you "need" lol.

IMO. You are definitely going to want something with a voicing switch and a tightness switch for bass. If you only have 2 channel slots and want the most out of them, I would say don't worry so much about the clean modules. Especially when you can roll back your volume knob and get some pretty convincing cleans in a live setting. A tightness switch is a must on all mods since it affects the feel and bass response of the mod. In conjunction with a voicing and/or gain cut/boost switch you can squeeze a hell of a lot out of these little suckers. That is why there are so many hardcore MTSers out there. It is amazing what these things can do. I use my Jaded Faith MarkX a lot and I can get anything from a nice crunchy rythmn tone to searing, rich lead tones, but when I roll back that volume, it's clean enough to serve up nice tones there too. I guess my point is that get em' modded if you want to have the versatility to cover all the tones you listed. You'll need the versatility to dial in just what you need. Plus you'll sound better than the guys playing the real thing. :wink:

yep...Mashaldano will do it all..including the clean.....I have one of my double hum teles set up to play clean/dirty stuff with it and it sounds killer.....It has the 2 vol/2 tone config like a lp..so I just leave the volume rolled off on my neck pickup and roll the tone back a little as well to smoth the highs a little bit and leave the bridge pup open...switch between them for the clean and dirty via 3 way switch...gets a very nice clean to a brutal OD that is very clear and articulate....and I still have 2 slots in my rm100 for otherh stuff....or if Im just wanting to play whatever,I simply use my Randall clean....but the Mashaldano will cover all of what you want....a little smoother on the Bass than a recto,but can get supriosinly close...which is why I get rid of my Gigimods recto......cant wait to get my Mashall + and see what t can do.....hopefully it will be here by Tuesday.....

alowerdeep said:
yep...Mashaldano will do it all..including the clean.....I have one of my double hum teles set up to play clean/dirty stuff with it and it sounds killer.....It has the 2 vol/2 tone config like a lp..so I just leave the volume rolled off on my neck pickup and roll the tone back a little as well to smoth the highs a little bit and leave the bridge pup open...switch between them for the clean and dirty via 3 way switch...gets a very nice clean to a brutal OD that is very clear and articulate....and I still have 2 slots in my rm100 for otherh stuff....or if Im just wanting to play whatever,I simply use my Randall clean....but the Mashaldano will cover all of what you want....a little smoother on the Bass than a recto,but can get supriosinly close...which is why I get rid of my Gigimods recto......cant wait to get my Mashall + and see what t can do.....hopefully it will be here by Tuesday.....

My Masholdano will be in this week too! I've been DYING to put this between my Mashall Plus and Salvado Deluxe to see if it can cut it on its own...If it cuts the mustard, which I'm sure it will, it will be in my middle slot of my live RM100...

It'll go down like this live for me:
RM100 - JF Super Clean, Salvo Masholdano, Figmods Modzilla
That third slot is on a rotation between JF Mark X and Modzilla...If I'm feeling Marshally- Modzilla, Mesa-y, Mark X

R412NXT cab w/ Celestion Neodymiums voiced for MTS
Mini Rod - Pro Q, GCP/GCX, Lexi MX200, DeciGRack, TS808, wireless *****....

actually like it better then the Salvado deluxe...the Deluxe was cool to though....but Mashaldano with an od pedal on the jose mode with the mids on the soldano voice will sound like a soldano...wish he would make the boost work in this mode as well...would just make it the most versatile module ever on it's own....I just dont like using pedals.....Im curious how versatile the Mashall will be as well....

Daryl said:
IMO. You are definitely going to want something with a voicing switch and a tightness switch for bass. :wink:

This is exactly what I was talking about myself being terrible with describing tones.

My JF Plexi has the tight/loose bass switch and a gain boost switch. I finally got to crank it Friday night in a jam with the drummer.

The effects of the gain boost switch were obvious but I really couldn't get a feel for the tightness switch and what it was doing for me. I could hear a change but they both sounded fine to me.

alowerdeep said:
wish he would make the boost work in this mode as well...would just make it the most versatile module ever on it's own....I just dont like using pedals.....Im curious how versatile the Mashall will be as well....
The description includes an OD Boost (?)
Or are you referring to the cool nature of the Bite?

crankyrayhanky said:
alowerdeep said:
wish he would make the boost work in this mode as well...would just make it the most versatile module ever on it's own....I just dont like using pedals.....Im curious how versatile the Mashall will be as well....
The description includes an OD Boost (?)
Or are you referring to the cool nature of the Bite?

Yeah,the od boost is only usable in the mode with the Marshall and Soldano voices combined.....it is not designed to function w/the jose/800 mode....