Mounting a rack unit into RM100...Suggestions?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you seen this thread? Third post from 'hyenik'

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=14659

Mattfig said:
Wow! That is awesome!

Mine is the metal faced one......

I'm a caveman at best when it comes to tools....so when I say "help" I mean it....
Find you a hick-billy with a die grinder and a cut off wheel and make a hole in the metal face for your unit. lol

I'm not sure you're going to squeeze a unit in the existing headshell. I think you're going to have to look for someone to build you a custom headshell. Do you have a carpenter buddy that has some cabinet/furniture making skills? It's pretty basic if it's your trade. You can tolex and install the hardware, chassis and unit. Just make the shell a few inches taller and install your unit up top with the bottom mount RM100.

Lol Brewtus! I don't know any hick-billies in real life... :)

In all seriousness, what would be the best way (for me) to hack into that metal plate....I have a hammer, a nail file (very sharp), and a fridge full of beer....Seems like it should be easy....

drewiv said:
I'm not sure you're going to squeeze a unit in the existing headshell. I think you're going to have to look for someone to build you a custom headshell. Do you have a carpenter buddy that has some cabinet/furniture making skills? It's pretty basic if it's your trade. You can tolex and install the hardware, chassis and unit. Just make the shell a few inches taller and install your unit up top with the bottom mount RM100.

Poop....I was afraid of that....

Thanks!

Mattfig said:
drewiv said:

Poop....I was afraid of that....

Thanks!

You know what, I might be wrong! I just looked at my metal front RM100 and there might be enough room to fit one mounted to the underside of the top panel. It'll be close. In that case the "hick with a saw" solution might apply. :lol:

someone around the forum installed a GSP1101 into their RM100. It was the tolexed face version though. But cut a hole in it and banged it in.

if you don't need to see the rack unit, could you just hang it on some brackets from the top of the head, facing backwards (controls towards the back of the head)? That might work, depending on the depth of the unit

Mattfig said:

In all seriousness, what would be the best way (for me) to hack into that metal plate....I have a hammer, a nail file (very sharp), and a fridge full of beer....Seems like it should be easy....

A die grinder with cut-off wheel would probably be the ideal tool for the job. The metal face might even be strong enough to support the weight of the unit without having to mount it to the underside of the top panel.

Mattfig said:

Doesnt sound like you have any tool that would help you. Oh wait, you said you had beer. Depending on how think the metal is you may be able to use cheaper tools such as some good metal snips. You can figure bolting the rack unit to the face with just some short bolts, nuts and washers.

Well Fig...You have excellent people skills. I would suggest talking to a local fabrication shop and see what they can do for you. At a fab shop that would be a minute job. But consider this: You may want to remove the front metal grill altogether. In case you want to put it back to stock to sell it, or change your mind. IMO you might be able to have a really killer one fabricated, for just a few bucks, that is perfectly suited and custom designed. Your creativity is the only limit. There are a lot of really cool expanded steel and laser cut designs that might really set off your rig. I know you like it custom. Don't even play... :wink:

Daryl said:
Well Fig...You have excellent people skills. I would suggest talking to a local fabrication shop and see what they can do for you. At a fab shop that would be a minute job. But consider this: You may want to remove the front metal grill altogether. In case you want to put it back to stock to sell it, or change your mind. IMO you might be able to have a really killer one fabricated, for just a few bucks, that is perfectly suited and custom designed. Your creativity is the only limit. There are a lot of really cool expanded steel and laser cut designs that might really set off your rig. I know you like it custom. Don't even play... :wink:
This is true. A fab shop could take your face and then build one from the dimensions that would just screw right back into place. I would say for about 50bux you could have one cool face.

BigBrewtus said:
Daryl said:
This is true. A fab shop could take your face and then build one from the dimensions that would just screw right back into place. I would say for about 50bux you could have one cool face.
Sure thing, Josh. Fabricating a new one also opens up the door to using other materials such as plexiglass, acrylic, wood, or whatever you can cook up.
For instance: A plexiglass (plate with room for the rack unit), laser etched with a fig leaf, and illuminated with green LEDs... Ummm I think we just left the $50 price point behind on that one... :lol:

Fig before you start cutting, first measure if that ISP will actually fit withouth hitting tubes, transformers or letting cables rest against any hot parts

Mattfig said:
SacredGroove said:
Here is a link to what Jimosity did to his RM100 and a 1u rack processor.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=2979&highlight=

Thanks Scott!

Figster-You going to drop your ISP noise reduction in your RM100???

I was/am considering it....And still going back and forth...I know the GString pedal will work just fine...I'll just miss the extra control...:) I'm still blown away by this thing every time I play...It can't get better...