MTS and Matrix? demo w/Jaded Faith, Egnater and VooDoo

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcoR

Reaction score
So I got home from work and no one was home :D I thought I'd give my new Matrix GT1000FX a try at some real volume 8)
This is just a cell phone recording and the playing is crap but I tell you, it may not come across on youtube, but I'm getting very close tones to my RT2/50!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTlIRKDVq24

MarcoR said:
This is just a cell phone recording and the playing is crap

aaaaah, the bait-and-switch, *****. I was looking forward to giggling at your crappy playing, but I couldn't play like that on my best day. Some very tasty licks

Well done! I really liked all of the mods and the playing was a nice treat too.

That ODS tone keeps intriguing me. I keep hearing it and think I might need one.

Two comments:

- If you post another vid, could you riff a little more on the higher gain tones? I like your lead style but would like to hear some more 80's riffs to get a better feel for each mods response.

- Why do vids from some phones record with that format? I used to think that it was only iPhones that did it. Either way, it is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

JayDA - Thanks and my pleasure!

VitaminG - Ha ha Thanks!

eyeball987 - Thanks! If I do another one I will try to get my 80s on! As far as the format, I should have turned the phone on its side...

Wow, Marco! You are no poser. When you talk about tones, you have what it takes to make me want to pay attention to your posts. I loved your cleaner tones like the B-Man and OD stuff. You had a lot of finesse.
ricky

I enjoyed that. REALLY good playing, Marco. It inspired me to plug in my Tsunami next time I get a chance. That Matrix sounds pretty good, I would like to hear it in the room.

Some tasty tones and chops there...love it.

Don't know much about that Matrix unit though...

Ditto on the playing quality Marco - sounds like you've done lotsa woodshedding for sure!

Cool vid and the matrix is an interesting option.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

The Matrix amps have intrigued me for a while now and I couldn't resist anymore had had to try for myself.

For those not in the know, these Solid State amps are really popular with the modeler crowd (Fractal, Line6, Kemper, etc) because they are touted as having the feel and warmth of a tube amp but with completely flat response. So this is ideal for modelers as they impart no extra color and allow the modeler patch sound as intended.

They are also being used by some big names; Steve Stevens, Pete Thorn and Rack Systems to name a few for powering W/D/W rigs. For example, the dry signal gets tapped from the tube amp output to the speaker (to get the color of the output section) and feed effect processors, then the stereo output is sent to a Matrix amp to power wet speakers. Guys are ditching racks of heavy amps and using these very light and extremely powerful units with far better results. Steve Steven says he can?t tell the difference between his Matrix powered cabs and his Friedmans (he?s got some great ears and one of the best tones in the business).

I have three intended uses for it: 1. A monster W/D/W rig with my RT2/50 powering the dry. 2. Playing quietly at home and not wearing out expensive tubes. and 3. A light portable extremely flexible rig for small gigs, rehearsals and jams.

The configuration recorded fits uses 2 and 3 and goes like this: guitar > analog effects > switcher > preamps > switcher > digital effects > stereo in Matrix > stereo out to an Avatar cab with Celestion Greenback/Hellatone 30 mix and a Port City with Scumback M75/H75s.

My main concern was/is not having density and presence controls as I use these to dial in different rooms without having to tweak my modules much. Time will tell on this and I look forward to playing a familiar room to see how it feels.
I did have to tweak the settings on the modules to get the same sound but it wasn?t what I expected.
This is what I wrote in the Matrix forums about it:

I found there ended up being much more variance in the eq settings on each module than previous probably do to the color imparted by the EL34s and 6L6 tubes and how they contributed to the overall sound. My past experience with SS amps was that the high end was always harsh and very difficult to dial in a sweet tone; I'd have to cut the treble to the point where it would sound like a blanket over the amp. With the Matrix, I actually needed to boost the highs/mids to replicate the sound of the RT2/50 with EL34s but once that was dialed in, the sound a feel is ridiculously close. As far as low end, I had to slightly cut the bass in most modules but the depth and tightness really shined.

I don't mean to wax poetic but in terms of recording a tube preamp, there are times when different types of power tubes are ideal but I have no doubt that while I'd likely pick EL34s for most of my needs, there now is a new option I'd consider with the Matrix. For gigging purposes, this is a no brainer; I've gone from a 10 space 120 lb rack to a 6 space 65Lb rack, don't have to worry about tubes failing and have nearly the same sound and feel.

Sorry for the long post!

If you find you miss the density and presence a lot, you might make a few EQ presets in your digital fx for these needs? Not sure what you're running there, but it's a thought.

Oregon said:
If you find you miss the density and presence a lot, you might make a few EQ presets in your digital fx for these needs? Not sure what you're running there, but it's a thought.

I thought about a dedicated unit that could live in the rack as an option. On the other hand, it's one less variable.