MTS based floor unit would be cool

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caine

Reaction score
What would be cool? A stomp box pedal based on the MTS tube module circuitry. It could have perhaps 8 of the more popular amps, (tweed, rectifier, plexi, etc.,). Four footswitches would allow you to switch between the various amps and a bank switch would allow you to change to a second bank of four amps. Nothing beats the MTS line for amp modeling but the limitation is that you can only have 3 (RM100) or 4 (RM4) at a time or else you have to switch out to another module. Yeah I know that is that mega unit that holds a gazillion modules but how many people can or are willing to invest that much $ into something like that?at $200-300 per module. With something like the floor unit, which could sell for something like $499.00, you could plug it into a clean module and still use a couple of signature modules or modded modules in the other two slots that are left on the amp. Vox and a few other companies have multi effects units that have tube based modelers in them but I say, skip the effects and just build something that focuses on the modeling aspect. This just seems like an obvious move for Egnater or Randall. http://www.voxamps.com/us/pedals/tonelabex/

Now I could 'appreciate' a single- (or two-) module 'stompbox', an 8 module floorunit would be the size of a floormonitor

Also how can an 8-module unit sell for $499 when the RM4 by itself commands more than that
(don't start about current blowout prices)

Not to mention that any Multi FX unit like a Vox, Digitech or Boss would be cheaper and more versatile (just look at the link you yourself posted)

Then I have to add (for the same reason I don't get the RM1250) what the use of the modular concept is when you don't need/are able to switch modules
But that brings me back to the RM1250 that has everything covered already apart from the fact it isn't floor based
but the money needed for an added footcontroller saves the money for an added (power)amp and you get 4 extra slots

...not to mention I wouldn't want 8x $300 of modules on the floor

Obvious move? Not so much if you as me

No, I wasn't descibing a floor unit with MTS modules loaded in it--although Egnater was, at one time, working on a two module unit called the E2 or something. I don't know if it ever materialized. I think this might just be a pic of the prototype:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2535487-Egnater-E2-Preamp

Vox is one of a few different companies that have multi-effect units that are incorporated with tube based (12A series) amp modelers. A Randall stomp box would NOT have slots for MTS modules but certainly the same technology could, without a doubt, be incorporated into a stomp box. Forget the effects that other companies are incorporating with the modelers while also trying to include gobs of different amps. Focus and a handful of popular amps and do it well. Yes, a multi-effect unit is versatile but if multi-effect units were all that great, nobody would ever buy the individual pedals. I use a multi-effect unit and it?s great for some functions but I have some stand alone pedals also because the multi-effect unit does some things well and other things not so well. Yes, they are more versatile but as the saying goes, ?a jack of all trades is a master of none.? That being said, if it makes one happy, add reverb, delay phaser/chorus and leave out all the spaceship effects.

Yes, to me, this totally makes sense for someone like Egnater or Randall to develop something like this. It might not ever happen but it is certainly something that could be done, and yes, it would be cool--and people would buy it.

I think the idea has merit..although I think it wouldnt sell well at this time.
fwiw: The Vox stuff is ok...but fails in some important way (Lab le has no midi...while their flagship unit is as big as a fridge and looks ugly as sin!!)

But someone might want to offer the E2 concept. Its actually a good idea...anyone with any amp would be a potential customer...just route the signal to it and enjoy some more tone options.

GtrGeorge

PS: I think you're focus (Caine) is on gear a pro would appreciate but sadly the majority of the consumers only play in their bedrooms..so they like the spaceship stuff and it does help move units...sadly.

My friend in Florida has had this Zoom twin tube driven pedal since it first came out. He swears by it. It is kind of the same idea as a module, but the tone is digitally created and sent to the tubes instead of using a standard circuit of large components. It can be plugged into the return or clean channel of a head, Power amp, or a computer for direct recording.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/zoom-g9.2tt-twin-tube-guitar-multi-effects-pedal-usb-interface/h70241000000000

I looked at the zoom just now..
seemed good for odd and extreme sounds..but overdrive??? didnt seem to do that very well.
..and does it have spillover?

I looked and couldnt find out.

But it seems very cool for techno people and some metalists.
Is that what your friend plays? Does he do gigs?

GtrGeorge

The Vox units use a digital emulation. 12ax7 is used as a pair of power amps to get the response of a tube power amp.

I did a lot of research into the valvetronics modelers, and that is what I found. Any time you try to have that many amp models at a low price you are going to have a lot of compromises.

I personally think that 2-3 modules with a good drive pedal, and using your volume, and tone on your guitar you can get a lot of sounds. Add an effects unit in the loop if you want other effects. I personally enjoy the simplicity of the MTS amps. It is just a lot of work finding the modules that do it for you.

GtrGeorge! said:
I looked at the zoom just now..
seemed good for odd and extreme sounds..but overdrive??? didnt seem to do that very well.
..and does it have spillover?

I looked and couldnt find out.

But it seems very cool for techno people and some metalists.
Is that what your friend plays? Does he do gigs?

GtrGeorge

He used to be a guitar tech for a few bands local to him but has moved on to doing custom builds. He does not do gigs, but does do some home recording and yes, he is an '80s metal kind of guy. As far as the spillover goes, I will have to ask on that. I do know that his rig consists of only that pedal and a pair of high quality powered monitors run in stereo.

I bought a Zoom G3 and I have to say that the modeling is pretty good. A lot of the factory presets are completely whacky and useless, but there are some good sounds on there. Plus, you can turn the useless ones into whatever you want and just rename it. Adding real tube warmth and drive to the same modeling could only be better. Until I got my Deluxe module yesterday it was what I was using for cleans.

Might not be feasible for MTS (tubes on a floor unit gets a lot of beating) but Imagine a AxeFX floor unit? Instant game changer ! :wink:

I have an ENGL E430 Tube Toner (see link below), which is a four channel preamp with 2 tubes in pedal format. It actually has a lot more features too, like a 2x1.5 watt stereo SS power amp, midi controller, stereo FX loop, etc. It is rather large, but quite useful in pedal form. I think the MTS technology could work in pedal form if you put the 2 preamp tubes in the pedal and not in the removable module, and used them as common tubes among all mods. Your modules could then be smaller (not the same as the current amp mods) and you could still have 2 or 3 slots in the pedal. I'd run them vertically like the ENGL E430 knobs, but the mods would have to shrink significantly. Since the tubes would be moved to the stationary unit, you'd have to redesign the circuit boards to be smaller. I'd personally run 2-3 small circuit boards stacked rather than 1 large board per module: circuit board 1 (pre-tube circuit) flows to the 2 common tubes in pedal, back to circuit board 2 (tone stack), which feeds to circuit board 3 (post tube clipping or whatever). I'm not a designer or engineer so I can't tell you if it is feasible, but my train of thought seems logical and even possible.

http://www.englamps.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Manuals/English/OM_D_E430_Tube_Toner.pdf

I wish we could get this set in stone somewhere:

"I personally think that 2-3 modules with a good drive pedal, and using your volume, and tone on your guitar you can get a lot of sounds. Add an effects unit in the loop if you want other effects. I personally enjoy the simplicity of the MTS amps. It is just a lot of work finding the modules that do it for you."

Amen to the 10th power.

GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
I wish we could get this set in stone somewhere:

"I personally think that 2-3 modules with a good drive pedal, and using your volume, and tone on your guitar you can get a lot of sounds. Add an effects unit in the loop if you want other effects. I personally enjoy the simplicity of the MTS amps. It is just a lot of work finding the modules that do it for you."

Amen to the 10th power.

GtrGeorge
But you see.. I don't agree with that. ;)

Nah I do, but for me .. tone control is unused and I'd rather have 3-4 modules.

It's a personal preference. I very much used to be a player like Mojo, with volume and tone up all the time and running 3-4 preamps. Now a days I am very much like George. I need less channels (2 in my RM50C are perfect), use a few good OD/Fuzz effects for different colors and use the volume and tone all the time to get many shades in between those colors.

A lot of that can be dictated by your current musical situation. Here is a personal story for you:

I remember a gig in 2009 that almost gave me a nervous breakdown. I was way deep into gigging only an MTS rig that was all rack and MIDI controlled. I used a lot of very specific tones and that couldn't easily be replicated outside of my rack.

We were in a Battle of the Bands to open a festival show with Motley Crue, Godsmack and Disturbed. They allowed you to use your rigs throughout, but at the final we were forced to use gear they provided. The guitar amps were old 50-watt Marshalls and I was in no position to pull off "my sound" through that rig.

It changed my entire approach to live gear and I swore I would never let that happen to me again. I simplified things and have a much more flexible rig that can translate into any situation now. I also evolved in taste and as a player, which happens over time.

Hold up, I specifically said "tone control is unused". I use my volume knob a lot.

Also, my rig is very specific but I can work a two or even one channel amp to get my tones no problem. That's not the point though, this is my rig we're talking about, and there I like to have 3-4 modules. I combine that with 4 out of the 5 positions on my guitar + split sounds for the insane array of sounds that I like to have for my band.

So yeah it's personal, but don't assume that more channels or effects means less guitar switching/knobbing or an inability to cope without those channels or effects.

I would agree that at times I think less is more. Especially since I do not gig. Lately I have been running just the '59RR & volume control to go from clean(ish)-to moderate crunch-to high gain. And the Intellifex either a delay or chorus. Simplicity :shock:
Although like mojo I like 3 or 4, or 5 or 6, etc modules/preamps/tones. It's a preference thing. :D

i think if you are into a continuos tone spectrum,,,you do one thing...if you like a variety of sounds you do a different set up.

I've done (and enjoy) both.

To me most over drive pedals suck...to me they truly are very odd sounding and really just "effects."
Give me 3 GOOD useable channels and Im set...If I can have 4 so much the better.
If MTS had introduced a 3 channel rm50 when they had the chance I think they would have created alot more interest in their product. (see "why MTS isnt huge" thread)
.....when the competition has 20 plus ?modles available its hard to create interest with 2 (!!!) it seems paltry.
..especially because since the 1980 most amps already have 2 channels (clean and dirty)

GtrGeorge

It's really a personal preference thing. Our tastes can evolve over time and based on the project at hand. There are no right or wrong answers at all. It's kind of the beauty of the relationship between the player, instrument and amplifier. There are so many ways to accomplish our desired outcome.

Trust me, if my tastes or situation should evolve the RM1250 has me covered with the 12 pres available. :lol:

You know, what would be cool is if the Modular AMP would have a complete modular system..

HI-Z Circuit Module (below the input)
Presence/Density module
Preamp

:shock:

wake...
If I understood things correct..weight is an issue in the power amp.
The Rt 2/50 is great but just to heavy for many people. To heavy to be in a combo amp along with 3 or 4 pres...
I mean its a great IDEA...but **** it would be He-avy!!!!!!

GtrGeorge