MTS Transformer Upgrades are here!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulinsane

Reaction score
I just got word today from Mercury Magnetics that the RM100 transformer upgrade set is complete. I'm placing the first order for this set this Friday and will be the first to have them. I will have to modify the chassis of my RM100 because the new transformers have a larger foot print but it will be no problem for me. I wanted to adjust the transformer positions anyway to find the lowest noise floor. Once done, I'll be the one writing up a detailed installation guide.

If anyone is interested in ordering any of these for their RM100 let me know. I'm also a Randall fan and will be here to help with any information I can provide. I'm an authorized tech/dealer for Mercury Magnetics and can sell them at 20% below what they normal cost. I'm authorized to also install them if anyone needs that service in the future.

Choke RAND-RM100-C is $30 ( $24 through me )
Output transformer RAND-RM100-O is $270 ( $216 through me )
Power transformer RAND-RM100-P is $325 ( $260 through me )

The power transformer is a monster with all the world voltage taps of the stock transformer. The one specification I asked for in this transformer was to make sure the 6.3V power tube heater taps were rated to handle the current draw of up to four KT88 tubes. KT88 tubes draw almost double the amount of heater current of any other tube and most heater windings are not rated to deal with it for very long.

Overall, these transformer upgrades are designed to run cooler, provide better tone, last longer, and operate more consistent than the stock transformers. I can't wait to get these in my amp :D

EDIT: RM50 and RM80 upgrades
Choke MC10H is $30 ( $24 through me )
Output transformer O50JM-MM is $200 ( $160 through me )
Power transformer... Not available yet.

Soulinsane said:
Well, I'll be ordering today. I'll let everyone know how things sound once I get them installed.
Please do,how about the Rm50,will there be any for these,I assume the Mod50 and Rm50 are the same being Bruce uses Heyboer which is good but the Mercury guys are transformer perfectionist,ts crossed and Is dotted.I can onl;y imagine the results you will get so please share :D

I got the whole set in yesterday. They look fantastic and are heavy as hell lol. Pure hand built quality :D I haven't decided if I want to use the chrome bell ends or the black ones yet.

They are not to much different in size than the stock trannys so tweaking the mounting positions for the lowest noise is going to be easier than I expected. I'm still going to have to drill some new holes in the chassis but I don't see any major problems.

I'll get some pics up soon.

Edit: As for other MTS transformer upgrades like the RM50, I can get upgrades for them to but the stock transformers will need to be analyzed first. I can get more details if you like.

Been on that Mercury website a few times now can;t seem to find anything to do with Randall. Or haven't they put them up yet? I want godlike tone! I don't know how its gonna top the tone i get at the minute but It can't make it worse.

I've been out of town for several days. I had personal business that couldn't be ignored. Sorry I haven't had a chance to give an update. Its going to be a few days more until I can give a listening review and have an installation guide written up. So far the only issue has been that the B+ lead on the OT is a few inches shorter than it needs to be. I'll bring it to their attention so that future units will not have this problem. By next week I should be back in my shop full time.

The Mercury website doesn't have them posted up yet, but I can assure you they have the whole set of Randall RM100 transformers. The model numbers are RAND-RM100-P, RAND-RM100-O, and RAND-RM100-C.

Shipping was very reasonable considering the weight of the whole set and how well it was all packaged. I live in the Midwest and it only cost me $30.

Have you got round to installing your new transformers yet? Really interested in hearing what they sound like. Can you get the bright red ones for the Randall Rm100 like on the website as that would look special!! Any clips would be ace! Cheers mate.

What do these transformers do for the amp? Are the stock amps not "good enough" for some reason? Is this the same with the RM4 and M4 randall and egnater preamps?

METALjim said:
Have you got round to installing your new transformers yet? Really interested in hearing what they sound like. Can you get the bright red ones for the Randall Rm100 like on the website as that would look special!! Any clips would be ace! Cheers mate.

I'm in the process of getting everything back together plus other work. I was out of town for a week ( someone I know died ) and I just got settled back into my workshop. I plan to have the amp operational by Saturday.

You can actually get any color of bell ends you like on these upgrade transformers ( including red ). You can also buy extra bells ends for $5 if you want to change to a different color. I just changed mine to chrome and it looks sexy as hell. I'll see what I can do about recording some clips but my SM57 mic disappeared while being transported by a moving company a year ago. There are some clips on Youtube though you can compare.

ffaudio said:
What do these transformers do for the amp? Are the stock amps not "good enough" for some reason? Is this the same with the RM4 and M4 randall and egnater preamps?

After what was found inside the stock transformers... yes, they are junk and not good enough. I think Randall got ripped off by dealing with Chuang Meei transformers. These things are the most expensive part of any amp and have a huge effect on tone, operation, and stability. Ever wonder why so many MTS owners have problems with amp failures or blowing fuses? A great deal of that has to do with how much the stock transformers drift. They look good but are marginal at best.

The Mercury Magnetic transformers are built by hand using the best materials, construction methods, and techniques known to man. The Mercury guys are musicians themselves and they decided to take the "what if" out of design cost and construction. Its ridiculous how much time and detail they put into every unit they make. They cost some maga $$$, but they are the best for a reason and they back that up with a full 10 year guarantee. If you don't like your new tone you can send the things back. You can't get a better deal than that.

Any amp can dramatically benefit form having the transformers upgraded including the RM4 and Egnator preamps. Mercury only has a set for the RM100 series right now but they can literally take any transformer and build a better more musical version of it. The RM100 upgrade set can still use any output tube from beefy 6V6's to KT88's like the stock set. Plus the power tube heater windings in the power transformer can now officially handle the additional current draw of KT88 tubes. These upgrades will not overheat and cook themselves like the stock ones seem to do. That means smooth, stable, musical operation and consistent tone.

Edit: Also, the power tranny upgrade still has all of its world voltage taps of 100, 120, 220, and 240. That's where the money for the beast.

Make sure to post when you start doing them for the preamps instead of just the RM100. I'll definitely be interested.

I'm gonna start saving think i'll go for the red bell ends as I like to stick out and red looks angry, like my playing style. Do you think it'll be expensive to ship to the UK? You also mentioned about an installation guide?? By the way soulinsane you are a legend for bringing this to the attention of people and making an installation guide.
Sorry to hear about your loss by the way. :cry:

I talked with Mercury today about the RM50, RM80m and RM4. I have good news and bad news.

Bad news is they would actually need to see and test the power transformers in the RM80/50 in order to make an upgrade PT. The same goes for everything in the RM4, RT2/50, and RM20.

The good news is they can build the chokes and output transformers for the RM50 and RM80 right now. They will still be able to use any output tube or combo of tubes you like. Its assumed they are the same amp and use the same transformers. The difference is the RM80 comes stock with 6550 tubes giving it 80Watts of output. If anyone can confirm they are the same amp it would also give me some peace of mind.

I'll ask about the prices.

Mercury Magnetics has informed me they have existing pieces that will work great in both the RM50 and RM80. The output transformer ( O50JM-MM ) is actually an upgrade for a Marshall Plexi but MM believes it will also do wonders in both the RM50 and RM80. It has an optimized primary impedance for 6L6 to 6550/KT88 type tubes, but also works good with EL34 type tubes. 6V6 tubes would be pushing it though. I'm also told the choke MC10H would also be an awesome upgrade as well. They will still have to inspect the power transformers in both amps to build an upgrade for that part though.

RM50/RM80 upgrades,
Choke MC10H is $30 ( $24 through me )
Output transformer O50JM-MM is $200 ( $160 through me )

FYI: These upgrades will require new mounting holes to be drilled on the chassis.

I haven't finished getting my amp back together I've been so over loaded with work lol. Sorry about that. I'm about to start on it again right now.

Hello that sounds great. But i'm complete newbie and have no idea about output transformers and otherthings, but i'm very interested.

So my question can i do it by myself or do i need a amp professionel.

I think to drill new holes is the easiest problem i have no idea how i do it in. Do i need special things for it.
When would be a power transformer available, because i'm from europe and whein i order i want to order all the things.

Thanks

It can be done without any special tools. Its not hard but it does require a great amount of safety because you have to open the amp. Even with the amp unplugged a charge can remain on some parts. Besides bolting the new transformers on you basically connect the wires to the right place. The Choke only has two wires and the OT has seven wires.

If you are bad with things like this then I would suggest to have someone that knows and feels comfortable help you.

The PT will not be available until I can get a stock one shipped to Mercury for inspection. After that it might take month or two until an upgrade PT is ready.

OK that's good and bad news. Should i wait for the PT or not. And can you write a instruction to put it in, with picture. My father is electric professionel but he has no ideas about amps, but i think he can help me.

Do you think is ther a big difference if i put in the PT or not, but then i would wait.

Thanks

man i'm glad i avoided the RM100 and went with RM4 , i push that baby through my VHT 2/50/2 ..so i'm golden ... BUT if i had an RM100 this would be an item i would really look into ... can't wait to hear some results of this