My New Randall 16 channel MTS Rack...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarcollection

Reaction score
About 6 months ago, I became interested in the Randall MTS modular preamp system and set out to create a rack from scratch featuring the best of their preamp modules and a few legacy amps I had laying around. Well after several months of collecting modules, having them modded, tracking down multiple RM4?s, etc. I have finally begun building my new rack? Thus I can officially say I am now in the Randall family!

The rack consists of the following:

(3) Randall RM4?s ? giving me 12 switchable Randall preamps
(1) Roland JC120 (using for clean Preamp only)
(1) 3-channel Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (using as Preamp only)
(1) VHT 2150 Poweramp
(1) Swtichblade GL
(1) Decimator ProRackG
(1) Samson UHF Wireless UR-5D Receiver/Transmitter ? from Megadeth?s Dave Mustaine
(1) Axess FX1 Midi Foot controller
(1) Pedal Board w/ EVH Phase 90, EVH Flanger, MXR Chorus, BB Preamp, Digitech Whammy Pedal, Hendrix Octavio, Hendrix Fuzz Face, Eventide ModFactor, and Eventide TimeFactor
(1) Digitech GSP1101 (using only for temporary Delay and Reverb ? extra space in rack is for pending AXEFX Ultra)
(13) Randall MTS Modules

Modules include:

KH1 (Still working with this one?. Nice clean, but can?t handle the inputs of EMG pickups. Clips like crazy. TBD if adjusting the input signal from Switchblade will help)
KH2 (Killer MOP tone?s found here! Treble and mid controls are very sensitive ? which is what makes this a versatile module. Knobs in 12 o? clock positions reminds me of the Brown Module)
KH3 (Killer Lead tone and equally better rhythm tones ? not drastically different then the KH2?but again very tweakable, so you can make these modules seem drastically different (i.e. MOP vs Garage Days vs Load). All can be found here! Again?Treble and mid controls are very sensitive ? which is what makes this a versatile module.)
1086 (Very versatile Module w/ controls galore?I like to scoop the mids on this one to get into ??And Justice for All? territory)
Ultra XL (modded by Pete... stock it is an XL with his clarity mods. Pull on the gain pot, it gets more low end so you can have smoother leads. Pull on the level pot and it has a LOT more mids for leads to cut through and for massive feedback and sustain. It's a randall black faceplate, with white egnater style knobs, blue LED. Sounds killer. This is easily the loudest and heaviest module I own!)
Brown (modded by Pete... stock Brown module that Pete successfully modded to nail that VHII Brown Sound. It easily my favorite module. Just unbelievable woody Marshall attack?. Pete?s mod doesn?t allow you to dial back the gain and have it clean up?but who the hell buys this module for that anyway! Add an EVH Phase 90 and Flanger and you?ll be playing VH tunes for hours!)
SL+ (modded by Pete? JCM800 mod for SL+ module w/ all mods (cap, bass, and 2nd switch) Gets a good Zakk Wylde tone in the 800 mod and more of a Slash vibe in the unmodded position.)
Tweed (modded by Pete? got a nice SRV tone going here?+ added a bit more gain and compression, it still cleans up with the volume knob and sounds awesome. Kick in my BB Preamp in front to get dirtier Pearl Jam Tones)
XTC (modded by Pete? put a pull pot to tweak the midrange + made the module have more clarity and warmth.)
Mr. Scary (Definitely nails that favorite Lynch Tone!)
Grail (Definite rectifier territory)
Super V (Haven?t really had time to play with this one?hoping it doesn?t clip like the KH1)
Treadplate (As you can see I have a real rectifier in my setup, so this module may be sold ? driven with a boost pedal this module gets close to the red channel in my dual rectifier)

If you asked me what the two most important components were in the system I?d have to say the switchblade GL and the Decimator ProRackG. For those of you who haven?t had access to the Switchblade GL it really is an amazing piece of gear that opens up whole new sonic territories. For starters it allows me to seamlessly switch between (3) RM4?s w/ 12 modules + a 3-channel mesa dual rectifier and a JC120. This set-up basically yields me a midi switching system with 16 preamp channels. But it doesn?t end there? because the Switchblade acts as a mixer?I can actually run multiple preamps together and mix them before the Poweramp. Ever imagined what a Tweed module sounds like on the left speaker and a XTC on the right? F&*kin? killer! You can send each out to a different channel or they can be mixed and fed to a single cabinet, multiple cabinets, etc. This is really where the sonic possibilities happen for me?. I was testing the KH2 and an Ultra XL at the same time. The blend of those two preamps is awesome! And because it is a true mixer?you can also adjust the levels of each amp, effect, etc. Meaning that you could run a KH3 at 90%...but just blend in a touch of the Brown module to add a little clarity to your tone?. I haven?t even scratched the surface here. The same holds true for all your pedals and rack effects. The best thing is being able to place effects anywhere in the signal chain without having to change any patch cords, etc. Want the EVH phase 90 in front of the preamp in one preset, but post preamp in another?no problem.

As for the Decimator ProRackG?. You all know how noisy some of the MTS modules can be?not to mention my Mesa Head. The Decimator ProRackG will silence your entire rack?. Though it is a bit tricky to get the settings just right?it is invaluable for high-gainers. I have a MTS Ultra XL module that was modded by Pete and it is the most noisy module I have ever heard. It is borderline unusable in a stand-by position as it has that much gain and grit! With the 2 channel noise reduction available in the ProRack G it is dead silent and turns the module into a Pantera breathing rhythm machine!

I?m only halfway through the wiring process?and haven?t even begun the midi setup? but things sound promising.

Here are a few pictures of the process thus far?..

IMG_3651-1.jpg

A room with potential... but right now it looks like a bomb went off!

IMG_3644.jpg

A wider view of the rack console

IMG_3653-1.jpg

A phrase I sort of coined... so I had this wall art hand-made and fabricated... Successful in life on my own terms... never sold-out... so this is sort of my FU to the bastards in high school who said we'd all fail... "In Metal We Trust!"

IMG_3635.jpg

I've spent a lot of time wiring everything neatly and labeling all connections... a pain in the ***...but will help with trouble shooting things down the road and/or swapping out gear!

IMG_3630.jpg

The early stages of the pedal board that sits on top of the rack...

IMG_3629.jpg

Switchblade interface... here you are seeing me patch the 1st Randall RM4 directly into the left channel of the VHT Poweramp... doing it through the menu is tedious...but worth it in terms of the flexibility this system gives you.

IMG_3647.jpg

Ever wondered what a 12 channel Randall looks like?

IMG_3641.jpg

Official Brown Module Test guitar....

IMG_3642.jpg

A better shot of all the rack gear.....

DV1.jpg

DV6.jpg

One of my newest guitars... It is a prototype of the new Mustaine guitar. The only one in the world; except for Mustaine's. Notice the black headstock of the original prototype. The retail version has a matching stock. Plays beautifully..... and is really well made.

BackstageinWashingtonDC.jpg

Dave and me backstage on the most recent tour.... You either love him or hate him...but he does have a killer stage tone! This is when he broke the news to me that he dumped his unreliable Line6 amp and went back to Marshall. His tech told me they broke down all the time in Europe, so when they hit the states he went back to his old set-up with a Rocktron Preamp and Marshall Poweramps. I really feel bad for the guy who bought that Line6 Amp on Ebay...he is still trying to unload it at a big loss!

petrucci_rig3.jpg

This is what my foot controller looks like...but it hasn't even left the box yet...so I stole this shot from the Petrucci site. Mine will be joined by a Slash Wah and some sort of volume controller.

All in all... things are progressing well... but I have to say that this has been an expensive and intimidating journey. I jumped the gun a few times and bought equipment to early, etc. In fact, I have two new GCX switchers I never used, a new in the box GCX ground control pro and a new mesa multi amp switcher... all sitting in boxes...and all that I wound up not using due to last minute system changes (i.e. Switchblade GL). The Digitech GSP piece is a temporary solution? until I figure out if the AxeFX is the way to go or an Eventide Eclipse. I guess that is why they invented eBay....

Lastly, this full on report wouldn't be complete without thanking the very people on this Forum, Pete for his wonderful mods, jimosity for his input on the GSP, SacredGroove for his cable help, RD/Rich for helping me locate one of my RM4's, Scott at David's Guitar Loft for much of my Randall gear and all the guys over at Huge Rack Guitar forum... most of what I have applied here came from hours upon hours of reading posts, etc. Hope my photos in progress inspire a few people...

When I get things finalized I'll post the final photos...then again nothing is ever final in this crazy world of gear, etc. Sorry for the long post....

- marc in philly!

WOW , i'm speechless ...

How are U using the GSP1101 ? do you have the RM4's in the loop of it ?

Thx

Raf

The Digitech GSP is fed into the Switchblade via an input to the front and also an input into the GSP loop /w stereo out into the Switchblade. That cableling allows me to use it a lot of different ways. For example, I can feed it any of the preamp outputs, I can bypass all the preamps and use an internal preamp within the GSP and go directly to the poweramp, I can use its effects pre or post any preamp in the rack.... it is a super flexible setup. For the time being it was a cheap way to get some quick reverbs and delays in the rack... until I figure somethings out and decide on a more complete effects unit (i.e.. Eventide Eclipse or AxeFX).

Dude, that's awesome! Very cool, glad you're digging the modded modules!

Pete

Very impressive! So it's safe to say that rig isn't going to hit the road with you anytime soon huh? :wink: Pete's mods are killer and I know you're loving them!

What is this **** .. music shop?

I get depressed cause of cost of all these pieces.
I have problems to buy delay pedal and whammy ... not this crap on photos. look at these guitars ... I will cry now!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks for the comments thus far.... Here are a few additional comments I've posted over at Huge Rack for those of you who don't frequent both. These are just some responses to questions I got....

The system is for a home studio and is my escape from the 9-5 workday, kids, wife, etc.

I built the rack myself out of plywood, rack rails, and some vinyl covering I bought. It came out pretty well and probably only cost about $150.00 in parts. The nice thing is that it is totally custom and fits my JC120 and head perfectly and when I out grow it or change things...I am only out $150.00 and could reuse a lot of the parts.

I am not looking forward to the midi aspect at this point, but I'll approach it in baby steps... I've spent a lot of time wiring it piece by piece, removing ground hums, faulty cables, etc. as I go. Next week I will begin to tackle the midi issues and start programming....

In my intial post... I talked about the KH1. Being a pretty good Randall customer..I am really upset about this module and the fact that it can't work well with a Kirk Hammett equipped guitar that has been showcased in their ads. I'd like to know what Randall's stance is on this... Let me say it again... The KH1 clipping issue is disappointing.... did Kirk even test this thing? I mean I have every Metallica guitar ever-made from ESP, including the Ouija board guitar (which is what I tested it with) and it totally peaks out the module. However, plays fine and sounds sweet through a Les Paul, Strat, etc. I guess that is why I kept my JC120 all these years...not going to getter a better clean sound. Overall, I have to say that the KH modules are better than I expected..... that being said... I am an old school metal guy (Testament, Overkill, Megadeth, etc.) and I have a fondness for some of the other modules as well - especially the brown and tweed. They've really helped inspire my playing outside my comfort zone or maybe I'm just getting older....

I did the labels with a simple Brother P-Touch Labeler. Super easy to use and works for just about everything in your house from file folders, to video cables, to labeling kids toy boxes.... Though I am the only one who sees the labeling? it looks pretty slick when it is all wired up, etc.

The Frankenstein is the real deal. I waited for all the other collectors to rush out pay $25k for the guitar, etc. and then snagged a brand new one from GC for just above dealer cost. This way I'll never lose money on this ridiculously priced guitar. For what it is worth... they did do an amazing job recreating this thing and it is certainly a conversation piece... and it plays beautifully. The pickup is sweet. Now with all that said, I own an original Purple Music Man EVH and all three EVH Charvel guitars... and I know your asking yourself...is the replica really worth a 20k premium? Does it provide 20k worth of better sound, playability, etc. Does Panama sound that much better? I think you know the answer. Of course not. I'm a fan of eddie.... enjoy his playing... and bought something I can play night and day and if need be can turn around and sell it to some lawyer or finance guy for my original cost. If you don't look at it that way then your just plain crazy...or have too much money.

Bro,

Good eye! That is indeed a GnR Pinball Machine from the early 90's. Really a kick *** machine that blasts Mr. Brownstone, Welcome to The Jungle, an unreleased GnR song, etc. They curse, it has strippers that take off their tops (yes... nudity in a pinball machine!), 7 ball multi-ball, etc. The best part is that the whole theme of the machine is to try and hit targets that get the band on stage on time....

It took me a longtime to find one of these in like new condition..... like some artist series guitars..they retain their value pretty well.

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock:

That is some set up.

I'll never be able to afford that much awesome gear, but I hope to one day have a room like that myself.

Love the "SATAN always WELCOME" sign :lol:

By the way what number is your Dean From Hell?

yeah really you and half the guys on hear seem to have an endless amount of money, i need a loan.

I like my rigs a little more simple, but I do have to say that looks killer! What a collection. BTW on the KH1 topic, I haven't tried that mod but I do have a modified deluxe module that sounds very clean even with emgs. I'm sure you have one too? BTW, nice pic with Dave. You look pretty happy in the pic like a little kid at the candy store.