new amp day!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricevil

Reaction score
So I finally got my first tube amp on friday, the rm20hb head with an Ultra XL module. HOLY *&^% does this thing absolutely rip. I previously had an RG75G2 and I thought the gain on that thing was great but this takes the cake, I'm totally jazzed. unbelievable tone and for what I do the 20 watter is perfect as well. great low volume tone but it can serioulsy crank if you dial it!

I have a couple of questions though, right out of the box I totally noticed 2 things...
1.) the handle on the unit is the one for the polomino version (leather strap w/ stitching) not the straight w/ chrome ends.
2.) there is no Randall Logo on the front of the head, I find it hard to believe they would deliberately not put there name on their own product.

oh yeah and 3.) I checked the bias...it read 41mv! el84's should be at 15-20mv...found that a little strange.

these things don't bother me all that much but whats the deal?? did they run out of parts and just "frankenstein" this amp together to fill the order?

I've been reading about Randall's poor quality control and I guess these are just examples. but it sounds great... lol

I guess mine is "unique"

Did you buy it new? Even if you did, there's no telling what the Dealer could have done since it sat in inventory.... maybe it was a display model, some idiot stole/damamged the randall logo, etc...

Unless you get it directly from the factory, you never know what could have happened between the time Randall shipped it, it sat at the music store and then shipped out to you.

Congrats though, great amp!

Pete

Thanks Pete, no it was a direct order. The store is an authorized dealer, they ordered it in for me as they didn't have it in stock. It arrived on friday and I was there friday afternoon to get it. I opened the box myself when I got it home.

Looks like it came that way from the factory.

but like i said, it doesn't bother me that much, it's still a handsome looking unit and it sounds fantastic.