New mini rig day

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeball987

Reaction score
I am going to try the S1 through a RM100 power section tonight!

SANY0455.jpg

How does the 44 Magnum sound. I read a little bit about it but not enough to really know anything about it.

Does that connect directly to the cabinet?

Hamner1 said:
How does the 44 Magnum sound. I read a little bit about it but not enough to really know anything about it.

Does that connect directly to the cabinet?

Yes, straight to the cab. It sounds good and is plenty loud but I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I thought I would last night. I was getting some kind of nasty high end clipping that was driving me crazy. I think I am overloading the input of the S1. I had to back off the guitar volume to 7 before it cleaned up but then I lost the gain. The S1 cleans up well with guitar volume. I don't know. I am going to back off my pickups tonight and try again.

I had the chance to dial in the S1 a little more today and it sounds really good. The S1 is bright so the trick was to keep the high and mid control just below noon and the Magnum 44 bright switch off.

The 44 sounds better on its own with the bright switch on (with my LP's anyway) but it is just way too bright when using the S1. I should be putting together a video review tomorrow night.

2 more questions :shock:
This crossed my mind today & had me thinking. The vids I saw showed that at about 1 o'clock it starts to simulate poweramp tube distortion. This is cool, but does rolling the volume off on the guitar clean this up? Also I am wondering if the simulated distortion would clean up if switching from say a SL+/high gain module to a clean style module (or imd gain setup to not have much if any preamp overdrive).

Hamner1 said:
2 more questions :shock:
This crossed my mind today & had me thinking. The vids I saw showed that at about 1 o'clock it starts to simulate poweramp tube distortion. This is cool, but does rolling the volume off on the guitar clean this up? Also I am wondering if the simulated distortion would clean up if switching from say a SL+/high gain module to a clean style module (or imd gain setup to not have much if any preamp overdrive).

I will try the volume knob roll back thing with the poweramp up loud. I am guessing that it would clean up just fine. I don't think that it would clean up when switching between gainy and clean modules. The overdrive would be in the poweramp so feeding it a hot signal is not going to clean it up.

The video quality is horrible. I was hoping to be able to show the settings but the zoom and lighting distorted the quality. The Mag 44 by itself clips the mic a little bit. That goes away when the gain comes in for the most part.

Gear: LP Trad Plus with 57 Classics, Egnater TM2X12 cab with Scumback M75's (large cones and high powered), Cool Cat Drive (volume 4:00, tone 12:00, gain off), S1 (low 9:00, mid 12:00, high 11:00), EHX Holy Grail, and Magnum 44 (bright off).

Testrig2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5LOwYgkNJc

Very cool. It definately would make for a quick getup and go, especially if the pedals were on a pedalboard already. Not to mention easy on the back.

How much volume does the 44 put out?

Can one or two of em keep up with a drummer or is that too much too ask from a little box?

I'm wondering wether it would be a good backup poweramp for my rig :)

m0jo said:

Can one or two of em keep up with a drummer or is that too much too ask from a little box?

I started wondering that as well.

Hamner1 said:
m0jo said:

I started wondering that as well.

I returned them both because they just didn't work out for me but, I will pick up a Mag 44 again in the future. If you keep the volume at 11:00 and below it will stay clean and be pretty loud. If you have a loud signal coming in, then it can be really loud.

I returned them both because they just didn't work out for me
Yes, I was wondering how you could go from that KH mts head to an AMT pedal. I never enjoyed the "amp in a box" pedals, even though the AMTs seem better than most.

crankyrayhanky said:
I returned them both because they just didn't work out for me
Yes, I was wondering how you could go from that KH mts head to an AMT pedal. I never enjoyed the "amp in a box" pedals, even though the AMTs seem better than most.

I was hoping to use the AMT as a quick plug in and jam for five minute type of rig but something just wasn't right. My Blackstar HT5 is the beater now. The RM100 sounds better turned up a little too so the HT5 allows me to rock at much lower levels and still have some cranked amp feel.

I played around with the .22 cal model.

At the store we connected it to the serial loop out of a JVM and into a 1960 one side. The other side was connected to the JVM speaker out.

Yes, the JVM power section was louder if you turned it up, but it better be. 100W vs 22W. So the test was to keep the .22 cal clean and keep it from clipping, and set the JVM volume level the same dB-wise. That would not allow the power tubes to break up. Anyway the only place you can safely get power tube breakup is at a very loud gig anyway. If you run your master volumes under about 11:00 you don't get breakup anyway except maybe with EL84s.

So the point was power tube breakup is meaningless in 95% of applications because you never get that loud.

Well the result was that we couldn't tell the difference between the two. I was doing an A-B thing with a few people and none of them could tell the difference between the little pedal power amp and the big Marshall.

Bottom line is that its a great little unit for home use, and in the summer it won't create as much heat as a tube amp. We know how fun excess heat can get in a home studio.