New Song -- June 14 2009

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia

Reaction score
Nirvana cover: Heart Shaped Box

I finally finished this one. I know I'm competing with Steve Albini for engineering on this. I did the best I could. Playing guitar since August 2007.

The Clean guitars are the Deluxe module -- cleaned it up with the volume knob on the guitar. The Distortion guitars are the Grail module. I ran a dimed out Skreddy Screw Driver (minus mosfet) into the overdriven Grail. I guess you can run a germanium fuzz into this.

Guitar was a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with a JB in the bridge instead of the EMG.

Sounds awesome! But when the distortion kicks in I hear some massive clipping. And the vocalist needs to cut loose and actually yell those parts :lol:

I thought it was ok...but the phrasing of the riff is to delicate. You cant really hear it picked out form the other notes. I am refering specifically to the clean part.
The vocal is what it is...no one is MR Cobain..so its kinda hard to even compete.
One thing I like...no big edit, thats noticeable (like in the Nrivana version).
But hey overall ok...a good experiement to learn from and all. i do lots of recording to try things (sounds, techniques). You can hear my stuff at myspace.com/georgebarrysolo

Shinozoku said:
Sounds awesome! But when the distortion kicks in I hear some massive clipping. And the vocalist needs to cut loose and actually yell those parts :lol:

Thanks. Cobain also had Steve Albini. Albini is a genius.

Actually Steve Albini records the vocals pretty deep in the mix. I was yelling. I did what I could do. :lol: I didn't start singing until this year, and I'm no spring chicken. Voice coaching for three months.

Yeah, that clipping was totally intentional. It's transistor clipping into tube clipping. It's a germanium fuzz clipping dimed out into the overdriven Grail. I was going for less of a hi-fi sound. Not showing off the amp, but going for sound texture.

I may have over-compressed the clean. I was going to use my Fender Deville for the cleans, but the f'n power tubes red-plated and arced and took out a screen grid and who knows what else (but the tubes had only seen a year of use), and the Deluxe module breaks up too fast, so to keep the Deluxe module clean I had to compress the hell out of the input signal.

Next time I need clean I just use my POD's Blackface. I probably won't get the door stop fixed since I rarely use it at least for a long while.

I have a love-hate relationship with tube amps. I love the sound, but I hate the quality of the tubes.

Next project is an original, and while I used the Randall, it does not show off the hi-fi capabilities of the amp.

I checked the file on Soundclick. Whoa! I just learned something about mixing and stuff. I dl'd and loaded the clip into PT and looked at it and it was clipping off the chart. :shock: Yikes! I guess this is what happens when you let Soundclick reduce your 256 kbps MP3 to a 128 kbps MP3.

No more. I did an update found:

HERE

PS: I really hate 128 kbps. but I can't complain.... it's free. 8)

I thought it sounded good. I actually liked the cleans, they sounded thicker than the original but it had a cool darker effect to it. The vocals during the verse were fitting as well I thought. Also to get Cobain's screams spot on you'd have to have a freakishly rare stomach problem so that's a good thing.