New to MTS need some input

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnykingv

Reaction score
Hi Everyone in Mts world! I'm an old school rack guy (VHT 2150.marshall jmp-1.intellifex,T.C., rjm, mesa) I finally took the plunge and have an RM4 on the way! I'm uber stoked to start ripping it appart, but i need some help on which mods to pick up. I really dig the salvation Matchvox, but other than that,--------My problem is i want everything! so I need suggestions on the best high gain and in between mods on the market. any help would be greatly appreciated!

(mainly interested in mods that are thick med- gain boutique type) like bogner/ fuchs/dumble/ matchless/ two rock
thanks

jonnykingv said:
Hi Everyone in Mts world! I'm an old school rack guy (VHT 2150.marshall jmp-1.intellifex,T.C., rjm, mesa) I finally took the plunge and have an RM4 on the way! I'm uber stoked to start ripping it appart, but i need some help on which mods to pick up. I really dig the salvation Matchvox, but other than that,--------My problem is i want everything! so I need suggestions on the best high gain and in between mods on the market. any help would be greatly appreciated!

(mainly interested in mods that are thick med- gain boutique type) like bogner/ fuchs/dumble/ matchless/ two rock
thanks

Great choice! Welcome!

Based on the "thick" statement-I would start with a Sacred Groove XTC...It can do it all...Blue channel can do killer cleans all the way to 80's hard rock- Red channel is very THICK, articulate and heavy...modern sounding and also cleans up really nice. Its a very accurate version of the Bogner Ecstasy with lots of versatility. I also have a Jeff Hilligan Snorkeler- This is modded after Jerry Cantrell's Bogner/Facelift tones and nails them. It is very thick sounding as well, not a super high gain module but botique sounding for sure- Cuts killer in any mix... For a thick chewy Marshall tone, in the style of a hot rodded Plexi- the Judge is the best of the stock modules in my opinion. So much to choose from!! Not sure about the fuchs/dumble/matchless tones...maybe some of the other folks on the forum can point you in the right direction...

Stockers you should get!
XTC, Deluxe, Super V, Top Boost
Modded
JF Voxless(AC30/DC30), JF OD Special
Many others but I would start there.

Welcome to the wonderful life of modules. May you acquire many and love them all. hahahaha I am currently up to 12 myself. :shock:

Hello and welcome...You will get some great answers here...

While mine change moment to moment, my current faves are:

Clean - JF Super Clean
Low/Mid Gain - SG MK22
High Gain - Salvation Salvado Deluxe
Highest Gain - JF RVerb or JF Mark X

rblyn said:
jonnykingv said:

thanks

Great choice! Welcome!

Based on the "thick" statement-I would start with a Sacred Groove XTC...It can do it all...Blue channel can do killer cleans all the way to 80's hard rock- Red channel is very THICK, articulate and heavy...modern sounding and also cleans up really nice. Its a very accurate version of the Bogner Ecstasy with lots of versatility. I also have a Jeff Hilligan Snorkeler- This is modded after Jerry Cantrell's Bogner/Facelift tones and nails them. It is very thick sounding as well, not a super high gain module but botique sounding for sure- Cuts killer in any mix... For a thick chewy Marshall tone, in the style of a hot rodded Plexi- the Judge is the best of the stock modules in my opinion. So much to choose from!! Not sure about the fuchs/dumble/matchless tones...maybe some of the other folks on the forum can point you in the right direction...

Thanks man! When you said "chewy" that is the exact word I'm looking for to describe what I want. I used to have a bogner XTC classic (original head)- that is what I want, but I've never played anything that came close.

Mattfig has a case of the George Lynch's... those preferences should change in a week! 8)

Let me add my preferences so far:

Lower/mid gain: Brahma
mid gain: My modded Brahma to "brown" spec and mid rich goodness
Higher Gain: Hilligan modded SL+ For AFD tones all the way to some tight bone crunching metal.

The Judge for me needs more cut.. probably perfect with EL84's.

Mattfig said:
OK, now my faves are:

Clean JF Super Clean
Mid Gain/Bluesy - JF OD Special
Mid Gain/Rock - SG MK22
High Gain: Mashall+ in JVM Red mode

What's the JF OD Special? Is it an original or based on an amp? Thanks!

Mike P said:
Mattfig said:
OK, now my faves are:

Clean JF Super Clean
Mid Gain/Bluesy - JF OD Special
Mid Gain/Rock - SG MK22
High Gain: Mashall+ in JVM Red mode

Rob will be telling everyone very soon...I'll only say that you'll probably want one... :)

Mike P said:
It's my nod to the Dumble Overdrive Special. It' a very unique tone in the MTS world and some really interesting design innovations went under the hood. Best of all, it's built on the clean PCB's (Clean/KH1/Blackface/Deluxe).

It's brand new and Matt and Rod have the only ones out there so far. I will be formally announcing it as soon and I have pics together.

Definitly check out the stock XTC. Something else: Salvation Mods Shiver with facelift mod! That's basically a Shiva module with a switch to go into full on Jerry Cantrell Facelift tone. I think that mod should have med-gain thick tones covered!

For higher gain mods, Salvado. And for more classic tones check out the parallel dualchannel mods by Salvation: H-Watt, DuoPlex and something new coming up quickly :)

Low to mid gain - Sommatone Slick 18
Mid to Higher gain - Splawn Nitro
Full on assault - Bogner Uberschall

Oh wait this is the MTS forum.... I kid I kid......

Low to Mid - Deluxe
Mid to Higher gain ( real sweet clean too ) - Stoner AD
Higher gain - Fisch

Woo slow down.. a module that can be built on a clean module??? finally a use for this pesky blackface. Don't get me wrong, cleans are cool and everything but I NEVER use my clean module. This is great news.

Hi gain is subjective...let's narrow down preferences to the big 3 of hi gain:
Marshall Modern
Soldano
Mesa Recto
Mesa Mark

My problem is I like them all!
I just ordered a Masholdano - that should cover 2 of the above

Kapo_Polenton said:
Woo slow down.. a module that can be built on a clean module??? finally a use for this pesky blackface. Don't get me wrong, cleans are cool and everything but I NEVER use my clean module. This is great news.

Rob's Clean module can be built on a clean module as well as the Salvation LoneClean.

The LoneClean is extremely versatile, so much so that IMO, it could be two modules! And Rob's Clean and Tweed are the bomb in the clips I've heard.

Options, options. :D